Looking up and backwards is hard

Feel better and thanks for replying, N

bob said:

hi,

that reason is why i had to quit my job! i ran a machine shop for 30 yrs. my brain stoped but my body didnt! it was very frustating ( i became a expert on falling down) going to the store to buy my food is a chalange , i have to go in the we hours in the morning before everybody else gets there. sucks because if i drop money or anything i have to just leave it or fall down trying to pick it up .

I do not have visible Nystagmus of my eyes, but lose my balance if I look up, down or side to side...,what's up with that? My vision is obviously affected. I use a cane when I leave my home. Therefore, when I cross a rode, I stop at the edge using my cane as support, turn my head each way slowly to check for vehicles, and then proceed. I fell inside my home yesterday, as I turned my head too quickly (didn't have my cane to save me...,ha!). It's a painful way to teach myself a lesson!

Yes, I noticed looking up, down, sideways affects my balance enormously.

I really noticed how much it affected my balance while trying out a balance Vest www.motiontherapeutics.com while I was in the NAF conference in Detriot http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanroygbiv/sets/72157633103518798/

I get dizzy looking up, or turning my head. I also loose my balance, but I will loose my balance at times without being dizzy. if I look straight up ( at a bird in a tall tree) I will get very dizzy and loose my balance, but if I hold on to the tree while I do it then everything is ok. I have had my eyes checked, and so far I have no eye problems.

I tryo to look atand "and the bird in the tree and "raise" my field of vision as much as I can assuming this is some sort of exercise. I, too, have no eye problems. N

Doggielover said:

I get dizzy looking up, or turning my head. I also loose my balance, but I will loose my balance at times without being dizzy. if I look straight up ( at a bird in a tall tree) I will get very dizzy and loose my balance, but if I hold on to the tree while I do it then everything is ok. I have had my eyes checked, and so far I have no eye problems.

What I meant to say" I try to look and stand at the bid in the tree.....

neta said:

I tryo to look atand "and the bird in the tree and "raise" my field of vision as much as I can assuming this is some sort of exercise. I, too, have no eye problems. N

Doggielover said:

I think that's the exercise just to repeat it. I think. No one seems to know anything for sure. N

Doodle Bug said:

I too have experienced the same thing. I look up and I fall backward. If I close my eyes with my feet together I fall flat on my face. I know of no exercise for these things. Hope someone can help you.

I am sorry you fell. My physio gave me exercises to move from side to side. But I guess this is part of the condition. Somehow this meter above my head was very profound. I have to remember to move my body, not my head, and do it slowly.

rose said:

I do not have visible Nystagmus of my eyes, but lose my balance if I look up, down or side to side...,what's up with that? My vision is obviously affected. I use a cane when I leave my home. Therefore, when I cross a rode, I stop at the edge using my cane as support, turn my head each way slowly to check for vehicles, and then proceed. I fell inside my home yesterday, as I turned my head too quickly (didn't have my cane to save me...,ha!). It's a painful way to teach myself a lesson!

It is consoling to know that this might be a feature of Ataxia.I am not aware of any Nystagmus but I have difficulty looking at things even from my road scooter.I think it is my focus.

I have to keep taking glasses on and off in the kitchen.I can't see things close up so I put my reading glasses on but when I move with the walker I have to take the glasses off or I would fall over with the walker on topp of me.

When I am a passenger in the car things go too quickly; my eyes cannot adjust so I don;t drive anymore.Signs whizz past and I cannot read them anymore.It is the focus and not the sight itself.

My Neurophysiotherapist has said I am to turn slowly as I lose my balance when getting up.I don't think the automatic ability is working so as someone said I have to turn manually and that means slowly It's yet another example of adjusting.I'm not very good at that but I have got to learn.

We all know what we should do but I wonder, is it part of the condition, the damage to the Cerebellum, that just makes us forget to do it? In my case it's certainly lack of concentration.

I always used to hang washing outside, for years I have been unable to because of the bending, reaching up and leaning back involved. Thank goodness for tumble dryers!

Dear All,

I no longer have any idea to whom I responded. I had this acute dizziness because I looked up and back to see if it was my number. I will avoid this contortion in the future. But I do recall that there is an exercise for adapting to this previously normal movement (which hasn't really worked for me but maybe will work for someone) which my Israeli physiotherapist gave to me. Here it is (It is hard)

: Stand behind a chair, high sofa or anything in case you have to grab onto something. Put your feet together and shut your eyes. Turn your head from left to right while you are in this position for five minutes. (I count to 300) Tip: Opening your eyes will restore your balance if you have lost it. N

Hi Donnybluewayne,

I have the same as you. When I look up, down, side to side. I do not get dizzy. But My balance is way off. No it's not you. I don't get dizzy. I guess we should be thankful for that!

Donnybluewayne said:

Do you get 'dizzyness' or are you having 'balance' problems?

I can relate to your problem, and maybe I'm confused, but I don't get dizzy more unbalanced.

Is there a difference or is it just me?

DBW

Neta,

Check this out:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vertigo/DS00534

I have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Veritigo (BPPV). It feels like my brain is spinning in my skull with nausea sometimes. I also have dizziness from Ataxia, but it's entirely different kind of feeling. The BPPV has an easy solution.

I hope this helps.