Medical Marijuana

This will probably be a contentious discussion as there are many aspects to consider ( legal, moral, medical, etc ) but....... Has anyone tried or know of anyone who has tried medical marijuana to treat the symptoms of Ataxia? There seem to be so many positive accounts of the potential benefits I can't help but wonder. Has its use ever been explored with our condition?

Hmmm. Not in Illinois. We were all 16 once. I've offen wondered if that may be the cause or a contibuting factor to ataxia.

was actually hoping for an intelligent answer.... should have known better!

s wayman said:

Hmmm. Not in Illinois. We were all 16 once. I've offen wondered if that may be the cause or a contibuting factor to ataxia.

It is a mixed jury. Pot can do great things, however depression can do worse. I am a major stakeholder in MJNA and have wondered this myself. I feel it will only mask symptoms and perhaps provide a placebo effect. I can go farther technically as it can occupy certain receptor sites in the brain. I suppose each person has an individual progression and it may be worth a try.. All of my inet research of the same question says it made things worse. Sorry for the lame initial reply
Bob said:

was actually hoping for an intelligent answer.... should have known better!

s wayman said:

I guess it would help someone that can't eat because of getting the muchies. But I haven't tried it because I work hard on improving my Ataxia with nutrion, mentally psyically, emotionally and spirtually I don't want to mess that work up by smoking any. I don't want to take that chance. I think that it gets into the bloodstreem and therefore goes through the brain.

It efffects nurolgical symtoms for normal people I can't imagine what it could do that would be more positive for the ataxiac brain.

Are you dealing with pain because I don't see where that would help. It might magnifi what's going on or can't eat? I think there is other things one can do that are natural I think that on't weird us out more than we are. :0)

Thanks to both S Wayman and Jeannie for your replies. I am by no means a proponent or even user of marijuana but I just cant help but wonder. Before being declared a "drug" by our Federal Govt, cannabis was simply a plant/herb. It has been used for centuries to treat a wide range of ailments beginning in ancient China and Taiwan, ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, and South East Asia. There is a mountain of evidence documenting its use in the treatment of MS patients to decrease tremors and muscle stiffness, the treatment of cancer patients to decrease nausea, the treatment of pain associated with neuropathy, the treatment of movement disorders, the treatment of ALS and neurodegenerative disease and on and on.To date, nineteen states and the District of Columbia have legalized the use of medical marijuana and I have to think there is a reason for that. Even children use marijuana to treat Epilepsy. There is evidence suggesting smoking marijuana is less damaging than smoking cigarettes. In fact, it no longer has to even be smoked. It can be vaporized and inhaled, eaten, or swallowed in liquid or pill form. I believe there are pros and cons to every substance, drug, medicine, food or drink, and treatment or therapy we come into contact with. Case in point.... The radiation therapy used to treat my brain tumor has left me with a soft, shrunken, and scarred cerebellum which paved the way for the onset of Ataxia. I just can't accept everything the FDA and NIH say as fact. Another case in point.... I get weekly acupuncture treatments which provide a noticeable benefit for my loss of balance and coordination. According to the Govt and Insurance Industry these "alternative" treatments are questionable and therefor not covered by insurance. So what little money I have is spent on a treatment that actually helps me but my insurance wont even cover a portion of simply because the powers that be refuse to accept it. Now I'm ranting... I do agree that physical exercise and proper nutrition are a must but I'm just searching for more. I have yet to try medical marijuana and I'm unsure if I ever will. I'm just searching for personal experience that's all.

Jeannie Ball said:

I guess it would help someone that can't eat because of getting the muchies. But I haven't tried it because I work hard on improving my Ataxia with nutrion, mentally psyically, emotionally and spirtually I don't want to mess that work up by smoking any. I don't want to take that chance. I think that it gets into the bloodstreem and therefore goes through the brain.

It efffects nurolgical symtoms for normal people I can't imagine what it could do that would be more positive for the ataxiac brain.

Are you dealing with pain because I don't see where that would help. It might magnifi what's going on or can't eat? I think there is other things one can do that are natural I think that on't weird us out more than we are. :0)

I’m in Arizona and currently have a Medical Marijuana Card issued by the Arizona Department of Health.
Been Ataxic 10 years and the last 4 had consumed with very good results applied to MOOD, PAIN RELIEF, QUALITY OF LIFE ( laughing more often)
On my particular case helps me with balance but not enough to stay upright.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:I’m in the UK…and Medical Marijuana is available here but……it is restricted to prescription.

Neurologists will prescribe it for MS…but very rarely for ataxia. Although, it is possible to obtain a private prescription…and be supplied via specific clinics.

It’s interesting that…muscle spasms and stiffness occurs in ataxia.

:slightly_smiling_face:I was taking a high content CBD Oil myself for quite some time, and found it helpful for pain relief.

Can I get a prescription for medical cannabis?

Very few people in England are likely to get an NHS prescription for medical cannabis.

Currently, it is only likely to be prescribed for the following conditions:

It would only be considered when other treatments were not suitable or had not helped.

1 Like