My Physio

Yes all but the walking backwards one. Sorry it doesn't make since to me. :0) I follow a lot of the same thoughts! Thanks Jonas! :0)

Going into my basement the steps are wood and they are more narrow then most. I do go down backwards on those stairs. I have more footing that way. Plus I do have more control. So backwards does work. I know its weird.

My true feeling is yes it may work for the short term but it's not going to help your future walking down them, I can't see how. So is there another way you can go down those stairs and still work the muscles that will keep you stable while doing it? Placement of your foot etc.? Yes it might take more focused exercising and isolating those muscles, regularly when they aren't needed so when you need them they will preform better for you.

But my hope is that you don't give in and let them get soft by not requiring them to work, or using them. I think we all tend to gain fear when we either feel we can't do things another way. I'm not sure it's good for the body or our brain to not work on being balanced. Just my thought. :0)

Hi Lori,I often walk backwards down my stairs. It just feels easier. If I walk down normally I think try not to lean forward to much or I'll fall,which I don't want to do( I ain't no stuntman) but walking down backwards I don't have that on my mind. It's way easier even if it looks a bit odd.LOL

Lori said:

Going into my basement the steps are wood and they are more narrow then most. I do go down backwards on those stairs. I have more footing that way. Plus I do have more control. So backwards does work. I know its weird.

A few years ago I went to Paris with my daughter. It was her birthday, she lived in London at the time

and we went on Eurostar. I didn't take my walking stick, due more to vanity than common sense.

The number of steps I had to negotiate during the day had me exhausted, and terrified. Unless I kept

to the side holding the handrail I had an awful sensation that I would just tip forward and roll down the

steps. I never actually got to see the Mona Lisa, by the time I got to that particular gallery my daughter

was on her way back out. The crowds/busyness of the city disorientated me, such a shame.

Going down stairs backwards has nothing to do with building, strengthening, or exercising muscles. It has to do with sensory perception and your brain's point of reference. You are more stable when you see things. It's like closing your eyes to wash your hair in the shower...disaster unless you are leaning on the wall. Same with trying to navigate in the dark. If our brain doesn't have a point of reference, we become disoriented. Stairs are like a ladder...try going down the ladder forward........

Hi Jeannie, I know it might be bad. But I am a lot safer going backwards down those stairs. Plus its faster. I go forward on other ones..

Jeannie Ball said:

My true feeling is yes it may work for the short term but it's not going to help your future walking down them, I can't see how. So is there another way you can go down those stairs and still work the muscles that will keep you stable while doing it? Placement of your foot etc.? Yes it might take more focused exercising and isolating those muscles, regularly when they aren't needed so when you need them they will preform better for you.

But my hope is that you don't give in and let them get soft by not requiring them to work, or using them. I think we all tend to gain fear when we either feel we can't do things another way. I'm not sure it's good for the body or our brain to not work on being balanced. Just my thought. :0)

Hi Beryl, I would take my walking stick with me where ever I would go . Of course I wouldn't go into a crowded pub or anywhere that might be hard to use it comfortably. But if I was lucky enough to go on a holiday, I would bring it. I find most people will give you the right of way when they see the walking stick. Of course there's the few that would nearly knock you down but hey! your on holiday, enjoy it.

Beryl Park said:

A few years ago I went to Paris with my daughter. It was her birthday, she lived in London at the time

and we went on Eurostar. I didn't take my walking stick, due more to vanity than common sense.

The number of steps I had to negotiate during the day had me exhausted, and terrified. Unless I kept

to the side holding the handrail I had an awful sensation that I would just tip forward and roll down the

steps. I never actually got to see the Mona Lisa, by the time I got to that particular gallery my daughter

was on her way back out. The crowds/busyness of the city disorientated me, such a shame.

Hi F-t-m!

Too right! I goes everywhere with me now.

It was a one day visit to Paris. I'd actually taken the walking stick on the train to London because

I was travelling alone, why I didn't take it on Eurostar is beyond me now! It would have given me

confidence and I would have gotten so much more out of the trip. You're right most people use

common sense when they see someone with a walking stick and steer clear, but you do get the

odd one that is completely oblivious to it. I like to think that even before this became my problem,

I was courteous to others who had to use a walking aid, what is it with some people, blinkered or

what?

I hope you're having a good day F-t-m, it's been glorious here, beautiful sunshine!

best wishes

Beryl

Fran the man said:

Hi Beryl, I would take my walking stick with me where ever I would go . Of course I wouldn't go into a crowded pub or anywhere that might be hard to use it comfortably. But if I was lucky enough to go on a holiday, I would bring it. I find most people will give you the right of way when they see the walking stick. Of course there's the few that would nearly knock you down but hey! your on holiday, enjoy it.

Beryl Park said:

Hi Jeannie,
I still agree with with Jonas and Lori.Going downstairs backwards feels and is much safer than facing down.
If I have to do this for the rest of my life, it’s okay with me. I can go facing down, but the problem as Jonas said is perception. Before ataxia, I could go in a pitch dark room without problem. Now, each step is an ordeal.

Hello Beryl, sorry you did not get to see the Mona Lisa while you were in Paris. I lived there for many years and finally, one day decided to go see her. It was a disappointment as the painting is much smaller than I thought. A lot of people feels that way. The lines to see her are terribly long and you only get a few seconds to really look at her, while she is staring at you, probably wondering what this fuss is all about. This is why her smile is so enigmatic… Hee, Hee!
Hope you have a good day. It is terribly hot here and humid. We have had an unusual amount of violent storms and rain.

Hi Cicina!

My daughter was disappointed, and as you say such queues!

Today I had to contend with a very naughty kitten, he's asleep now,

worn himself out! It's been hot and humid here for the last couple

of days, makes you lethargic doesn't it? Rain forecast, so don't

think you're alone! I think the heat is adling my brain, I just replied

to an email that had been quite specific in it's content, and I

questioned it. An appt I need to go to, what must they think! duh!!

best wishes

Beryl

Cicina said:

Hi Jeannie,
I still agree with with Jonas and Lori.Going downstairs backwards feels and is much safer than facing down.
If I have to do this for the rest of my life, it's okay with me. I can go facing down, but the problem as Jonas said is perception. Before ataxia, I could go in a pitch dark room without problem. Now, each step is an ordeal.

Hello Beryl, sorry you did not get to see the Mona Lisa while you were in Paris. I lived there for many years and finally, one day decided to go see her. It was a disappointment as the painting is much smaller than I thought. A lot of people feels that way. The lines to see her are terribly long and you only get a few seconds to really look at her, while she is staring at you, probably wondering what this fuss is all about. This is why her smile is so enigmatic... Hee, Hee!
Hope you have a good day. It is terribly hot here and humid. We have had an unusual amount of violent storms and rain.