New light on SCA3. Far infrared light helped mice with SCA3

Someone pointed me to this awhile back, and I remember being intrigued, but I never followed through on studying it. Today, I caught some conversation on the Parkinson’s forum on Health Unlocked UK that got me back to this topic and what I found was down right incredible. Researchers in China improved the gait of mice bred with SCA3 by simply shining light on their brain:

Then I found out there is a company with a clinical trial underway that is studying a similar technology using Near Infrared Light for treatment of Alzheimer’s:

and what’s more this area of research is growing fast and full of intriguing work:

I’m not ready to lay down $1700 yet, but maybe after I do some more research . . .

I don’t want to cast anything negative. I want a cure as much as anyone here but I’m kinda skeptical of medical things coming out of China. They were the folks who ripped off the sick with their stem cell cure not too long ago. I sincerely hope that I’m wrong.

The paper on SCA3 was published in the magazine, Cerebellum, which is the leading journal for peer reviewed research of the cerebellum in the world:
https://link.springer.com/journal/12311

This technology is not nor could it ever be a cure, but it shows potential to help mitigate many neurological disorders including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and some forms of gentically inherited ataxia. To that end the research is ongoing worldwide including places like Harvard, and the clinical trial studying the potential benefit in Alzheimer’s is being conducted in Canada with an intent to come to the US in later stages.

I have my fingers crossed.

Here is a copy of an email I sent to the maker of the Neuro Gamma, Vielight:

Dear Sir or Madame,

I recently began reading about Near Infrared as a treatment for neurological disorders, and as a result, I would like to try it for myself, but I am uncertain of the optimum unit for my condition. I have a mutation known as SCA1 which is caused by protein deposits in the cerebellum. My question is: In theory would NIR from a Gamma unit reach the cerebellum?

I am fully aware NIR has not been clinically proven to be beneficial for any neurological disorder yet least of all my specific condition, but none the less I am intrigued and would like to try.

Thank you for you help and time.

Joe Peck

and the response I received:

Hello Joe,

We have a new device that points to the cerebellum, and may be able to treat your condition. It is called the Vielight X-Plus, priced at US$749. It is not available at the moment but could be available in a few months. If you are interested to purchase, Edward copied here can put you on the waitlist.

Thank you for writing in.

Lew Lim, PhD, DNM, MBA

http://vielight.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Vielight-logo1x.png

Vielight Inc.

346A Jarvis St.

Toronto, Ontario, M4Y 2G6

Canada.

I put myself on the wait list.

Best of luck with the device Joe when it becomes available. We all wish you the best. Please keep us informed.

Hey you @JP66, can you share their e-mail address? Thanks

http://vielight.ca/?page_id=678

Email : ■■■■

Address:
Vielight Inc
346A Jarvis Street
Toronto, Ontario
M4Y 2G6
Canada

Tel:
+1-877-■■■■ (Toll-free for US and Canada)
+1-647-■■■■ (International)

Hi. Dis you try this machine?

So, has anyone had access to this as yet :thinking: xB

I’ve consulted with my neurologist at Toronto Western on this. I’m guessing this unit is not a great contender in the race to discover treatment or a cure as they hadn’t heard anything about it at the movement disorder clinic. Another see what happens hopefull? I don’t see any studies being conducted on Clinical Trials. Com either.

1 Like

In any case, the cost of this unit may be beyond some people’s pockets, and, it reads as though the company are ‘theorising’ as to whether it might be even be appropriate as being helpful for SCA, or indeed any ataxia. Personally, I feel if anything at all was likely to be beneficial in making our condition easier to manage (in the absence of a cure), it would be endorsed by ataxia.org Let’s face it, they have their finger on the pulse, and have our best interests at heart. :slightly_smiling_face: xB