Psychiartist request for inpatient stay

My husband was diagnosed with multiple systems atrophy & cellebrella atrophy 8 yrs ago we have been to the Mayo clinic 5 times with the solution of there is nothing else we can do for you for the ataxia however advised my husband to see a psychiatrist for his depression we sought help with a local psychiatrist after working with dr for 8 months she is now recommending inpatient psych stay. She is saying he hasn’t responded to either of the 5 medications that she has tried and now declares him severely depressed my concern is if they have to perform ECT electroconvulsive therapy will it make the ataxia?

Any thoughts?

I had depression first for about 4 years.Now I have CA and possibly some form of MSA .

Don;t conform to MSA .Confused like you. This site helps me realise it is not all in my mind although there is much variety.I have had Cerebellar Ataxia for 7 years and the condition has progressed rapidly.

I am in the uk however.

Good luck on the inpatient stay.Maybe they will get to the bottom of it.

medical marijuana

Is your husband threatening or considering suicide? Does he have an actual plan? These are the questions any professional would ask before suggesting in patient psychiatric care. Inpatient care in the US is strictly for those who present as a danger to themselves or others.

I can’t recommend ECT. (I have not had that done). You didn’t quite finish your sentence, but I can guess you wonder if the ECT will make his ataxia worse. That’s hard to say. I wouldn’t risk it. That’s just me.

What if anything have you changed regarding diet and/or vitamin supplements? Exercise also releases dopamine into the brain. It’s a natural high. I’d strongly suggest finding new neurologist and perhaps a holistic physician who’s open to new and alternative treatments.

When doctors say there is nothing more they can do for you, it’s time to take the reins and start trying new things including diet, exercise, and whatever else works.

I’m praying for the both of you.

My husband also had multiple systems atrophy (MSA) with orthostatic-hypotension (MSA/OH), which means his blood pressure dropped 30-40 points when going from lying down to sitting, or sitting to standing. He died two years ago, 15 months after diagnosis. During his illness, I found valuable information from the MSA Caregivers Association, a volunteer organization. They have educational conferences, support groups, webinars, and blogs that involve patients as well as care givers. Perhaps you could connect with someone there who has experience with the treatment being suggested for your husband.

My husband was depressed also and had paranoid delusions, but refused to see a psychiatrist or take drugs. He saw admitting that problem as the first step to losing "control". The path of his illness was very challenging for everyone.

MSA is a rare form of Parkinson's, but ataxia is even more rare, therefore less money has been spent on research. So far, there is no celebrity poster child for MSA or ataxia, someone diagnosed in their lifetime and willing to go public.

Best wishes in your search,

Kimberly

So sorry for your loss of your husband

Kimberly said:

My husband also had multiple systems atrophy (MSA) with orthostatic-hypotension (MSA/OH), which means his blood pressure dropped 30-40 points when going from lying down to sitting, or sitting to standing. He died two years ago, 15 months after diagnosis. During his illness, I found valuable information from the MSA Caregivers Association, a volunteer organization. They have educational conferences, support groups, webinars, and blogs that involve patients as well as care givers. Perhaps you could connect with someone there who has experience with the treatment being suggested for your husband.

My husband was depressed also and had paranoid delusions, but refused to see a psychiatrist or take drugs. He saw admitting that problem as the first step to losing "control". The path of his illness was very challenging for everyone.

MSA is a rare form of Parkinson's, but ataxia is even more rare, therefore less money has been spent on research. So far, there is no celebrity poster child for MSA or ataxia, someone diagnosed in their lifetime and willing to go public.

Kimberly

The issue is my husband is not willing to change anything he has reserved himself to hopelessness

Julie in Colorado said:

Is your husband threatening or considering suicide? Does he have an actual plan? These are the questions any professional would ask before suggesting in patient psychiatric care. Inpatient care in the US is strictly for those who present as a danger to themselves or others.

I can’t recommend ECT. (I have not had that done). You didn’t quite finish your sentence, but I can guess you wonder if the ECT will make his ataxia worse. That’s hard to say. I wouldn’t risk it. That’s just me.

What if anything have you changed regarding diet and/or vitamin supplements? Exercise also releases dopamine into the brain. It’s a natural high. I’d strongly suggest finding new neurologist and perhaps a holistic physician who’s open to new and alternative treatments.

When doctors say there is nothing more they can do for you, it’s time to take the reins and start trying new things including diet, exercise, and whatever else works.

I’m praying for the both of you.

hi

i have had e ct treatments

alls they did for me was to forget who my family was. it did not take my depression away.

Thank you for your kind words. I am still trying to accept his refusal to fight the death sentence in the diagnosis. I had been struggling with ataxia for 12 years when he was diagnosed, so I was more optimistic about being able to lessen its symptoms with lifestyle changes. Not so with him. And I can’t say how I would react if I thought ataxia was fatal. Take care of yourself.

Dog said:
So sorry for your loss of your husband

Kimberly said:

Kimberly

Hello My Dear,

My heart goes out to you ! I have a similar condition , I told my Dr. I had to have profession help for my depression.

It began with the cerebal atrophy . I am very thankful that medication has worked great for me.

I have a sister who had sever depression and was hospitalized 3-4 yrs. ago . She had the shock treatments and a couple of wks. stay. It is the best thing that could have happened to her. and those are her words. She is like her old self in so many ways, Tennis etc. the depression shows its ugly head rarely but it has never lasted .

Shock treatments are much better than what I remember form movies (yrs. ago) .humain .

Good luck my dear and trust your doctor . With you at his side he should improve.

I will keep you in my prayers. Hugs, Mary Elena

My brothers grandaughter

than what we remember from movies etc.