Question regarding walking

I have gotten some really good advice from this place so giving it another shot. I have been walking with my rollator walker a lot lately. I have the strength to walk but the pace is very unusual, very choppy. Does anyone have any ideas on how to walk at a more consistent pace?

I'm a fast walker. Thats why I look so crazy walking. Everyone tells me to slow down. Well then I feel like I am going to fall over. So when I'm walking with something. Im really fast. BUT the toes in my shoes are all scuffed up. If you want to slow down. You can only do your best.

Hi. Usually when I'm walking, it's with my dog or with my cane. I keep my pace at a even one. I do stop alot because I do get dizzy quite often. I have a habit of looking down so I don't trip.

I dont think it is possible to walk at a consistent pace - just try to keep safe that's the main thing.

If you look straight ahead it is easier and be sure to stop walking before trying to look around you.

Patsy x

It's hard to walk at a consistent pace. When I'm at work and it's really busy, I have to walk fast or rush around alot. It makes me really nervous since I have to be careful as to not to fall or run into things. But when I'm not working I walk slowly and carefully so I don't fall. Just be careful and be aware of your surroundings. Alot of times I walk close to things where I can hold or grab onto really fast if I feel I'm going to fall or my balance is really bad. Which is alot of times.

I am the ataxic one, however my wife works with several Parkinson patients, and is a strong advocate for using a metronome as a prompt for timing as well as overcoming freezes at door thresholds etc.. Do you or anyone else have trouble walking on patterned floors or tile with grout lines, designs in carpets, etc? I can't really explain it to docs and they offer no explanation and suggest not looking down. Well, Duh! How am I supposed to know where my feet are. That is a biggy for me! Where are my feet. Even a power cord across the floor or an area rug is perceived as an obstacle. Thanks!

Here is what I was told by my therapist: hit the floor heel first, then toes. Repeat heel,toe, heel, toe as you walk. She did suggest a metronome too (if you have a smart phone, you can download a free app for a metronome and you can adjust it to your own speed. )
She also mentioned that I walked better using long strides as opposed to short ones.

However, I noticed that it is better not to over think it or I get tangled up. :slight_smile: also the faster I try to walk, the more he ataxia takes over and I am all over the place and dizzied. Not a good feeling.

But if you try anything new, make sure you other are using your walker or someone is near you to catch you in case you trip on your feet !
Just like Patsy said, the main thing is to stay safe. No one needs broken bones or a concussion…

Hi Liz. I used to do a lot of hiking. I mean 10 to 15 Km. At that time I always used a walking stick to maintain a tempo. It allowed me to, quite accurately, tell haw far I had walked. Now I use two but are those lightweight aluminum type one uses for cross country skiing. Although the distance is considerably less. It seems that just about every garage sale you visit has some for sale. I hope this works for you.

I found that using the treadmill has helped me to walk better. I use a cane on good days and a 3-wheeled walker on bad days. In response to walking on patterns-I have a problems walking on shiny surfaces such as supermarket floors or wet surfaces. My neurologist explained that those surfaces give off reflected light and since the only sense I use to walk is my eyes, they perceive this as having no floor beneath my feet. I also have sensory neuropathy so I can't feel my feet. It is a very weird feeling. I agree with saying heel- toe over and over when walking.

LIke others have said, walk with your heel to toe. I was diagnosed with ataxia 10 years ago. I am still able to walk, but started using a cane when I leave my home to prevent falls. As Solly said, I also walk on a treadmill, as I can hold on, my balance is really bad. I do exercises for strength and balance, as this really helps me. I do a lot of floor exercises and use hand weights, because if I'm on the floor, I can't fall...,ha! Also, I do balance exercises at the counter between my kitchen and family room. A good one is standing on one foot for as many seconds as I can, and then the other one. I keep trying to up the seconds. I do this without holding on, although the counter is right there in case I lose my balance, I can grab on. Keep your muscles a strong as you can, safely. ;o)

s wayman said:

I am the ataxic one, however my wife works with several Parkinson patients, and is a strong advocate for using a metronome as a prompt for timing as well as overcoming freezes at door thresholds etc.. Do you or anyone else have trouble walking on patterned floors or tile with grout lines, designs in carpets, etc? I can't really explain it to docs and they offer no explanation and suggest not looking down. Well, Duh! How am I supposed to know where my feet are. That is a biggy for me! Where are my feet. Even a power cord across the floor or an area rug is perceived as an obstacle. Thanks!

I dont know where you all are from but, being from the southern US we were all taught to look dow for snakes. A rattle snake would soud out. The copper head and the water moccasing would not. All three if they bite will could cause death. So, I have had to pich which way I want it.

Ran said:

s wayman said:

The metronome sounds promising, will give it a try. Thanks everyone!

Two more things from parkinson boards: Masking tape placed on the ground at appropriate stride lengths AND get this; a laser pointer aimed several strides in advance has been shown to overcome the mental 'jam up' associated with the next steps.

Liz Weeks said:

The metronome sounds promising, will give it a try. Thanks everyone!

Oh wow, I love the tape idea!!! I’m totally stealing that one!

Got an idea about walking.
Rather than a Metronome which after a while could hypnotize with the regular tick tick noise and put you to sleep, how about music. iTunes has some "walking music " which can be used for workouts and walking. They have different types, some fast, some slower. If you have a smart phone, you can download this music on it, and there you are, ready for your walk.

My husband has ataxia and although he uses a walker he still has had a couple of falls and therefore is never walking alone. I never let him walk ANYWHERE without his POSEY Gait and Transfer Belt. This item is amazing. It is a belt with either a metal buckle or a quick release buckle. It has about seven hand grips securely sewn onto the belt at different positions. That way, if my husband starts to sway, I just grab one or two of the handles and stabilize him. It is truly one of the best items we have for dealing with this ataxia. He feels securee enough to continue walking and I know I can easily prevent a fall at the very start of one without injury to myself.

It cost about $50 but is worth every single penny since a fall, in my husband's case, always seems to involve hospitals, emergency rooms and other costs. By comparison - it's cheaper.

I'm just giving an update. I took all these tips to my PT. In the end for me, it was more about getting my brain from over thinking it. I say a mantra of place the foot and tighten the hip before you move. Movement has to start from the hip, not from the foot or torso, lead with my hips. I also spot, like a dancer. Focus on a spot on the wall and my body naturally does what it needs to do. Stride length is smaller, thus the pace is more normal.

Hi Liz, I have always described this to others as we have a pacemaker for walking. kinda like 'do not follow me for I may not lead' and 'I may not follow cuz your not the person I wanted to follow'....'just stand beside me and be my friend'.