Re : possible connection between Ataxia and Metaclopramide

Hi everyone,

My dad has had ataxia of undiagnosed origin for around 5 years. His symptoms have included a progressive walking/movement deterioration, tremor, speech problems etc. he has went for being an able bodied healthy individual with no known health problems to wheelchair bound in the space of 5 years.

However, it has recently been discovered that a number of years ago he was prescribed metaclopramide for gastric reflux reasons and the course was to be taken for 5 days. However due to the recent changes to the use of this drug, it has been discovered that he has been on this medication for around 5 years. This drug is well documented to cause neurological symptoms and should never be taken for longer than 12 weeks max. Having looked at the serious side effects that it can cause, I would estimate that my father exhibits around 90% of them.

To date the cause of his ataxia has been undiagnosed, no family history, all other tests negative and negative genetic screening.

Therefor my question is could the prolonged use of this medication be responsible or in part responsible for his ataxia and how do we go about exploring this possibility.

Thanks for reading and any thoughts are welcome

Patricia

I wouldn't doubt that medication is mist likely the cause. I live in a building for "hard to house" individuals, and about a decade ago one of the staff members here showed me a catalog of drugs and I was amazed to find that the side effects of some medications is ataxia. I would see about suing the doctor that prescribed the meds to you without divylging the possible side effects.

Hi Neave47, If even one of the side effects related to this drug is ataxia, I'd say it's very possible your dads ataxia is due to taking it. I don't know how you would go about proving it though, as there are some types of ataxia (like mine) that are of an unknown cause w/no family history. I would speak to an attorney to see if you have a possible case. My best to you..., ;o)

Mine also came outof nowhere .Came on after a course of antibiotics for a chest infection. Years ago but it is getting worse daily. Difficult to prove.Mum was convinced Dad's Parkinsons was caused bby weedkillers.

I have tremors,poor speech and no mobility.6 years ago I was ok.