Recumbent or regular exercise Bike?

I am looking into getting a stationary exercise bike. I am torn between a recumbent bike and a regular bike. My hip flexors are extremely tight and I tend to not use my hips when I walk (I mostly swing my legs around to the front of me...) I feel the recumbent bike might not be helpful in stretching/strengthening them and keeping my hips moving (there isn't enough ceiling clearance in my basement for an elliptical). Any suggestions from anyone who has the same issues as I do; I have SCA3?

Thank you,

Netta

Do you live near a gym or some place where you can try out the different types to see which one works for you before you make a purchase, I have a recumbent road bike but at the gym I use a recumbent one to.

Thank you, Jack. That's a good idea; I should test both types out before I purchase.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Hi Netta, Great advise from Jack to test out what is going to work best for you before buying… The gym I go to (Dedham Health and Athletic Club, Dedham, MA) and the PT room there both have seated elliptical machines and I love the workout I get without balance issues… Just one more to try!

Spot on Tina. I was diagnosed with Friedreich's Ataxia just over five years ago and after being really sporty when I was younger, I got myself into a bit of hole when I couldn't continue. Well, I say couldn't, but I only thought I couldn't. A few months ago, I joined a local gym and I'm definitely feeling and seeing the benefits.

Exercise is now such a helpful release for me. As Tina mentioned, static gym machines are great for people like us, and there's no reason we can't build as much muscle on them as anyone. It's hard work, just like it is for a person without a condition, and incredibly satisfying. So keep at it! I'm definitely going to.

TinaD said:

Hi Netta, Great advise from Jack to test out what is going to work best for you before buying... The gym I go to (Dedham Health and Athletic Club, Dedham, MA) and the PT room there both have seated elliptical machines and I love the workout I get without balance issues... Just one more to try!