Scientists edit human embryos for first time in US

Story highlights
A first in the US, scientists reportedly edit the genes of human embryos using CRISPR
Yet the research hasn’t been published and researchers remain tight-lipped
(CNN)America reportedly has moved ahead in a controversial race to tinker with human DNA – but the scientific feat is shrouded in unanswered questions.

The MIT Technology Review published on Wednesday a news report about the first-known experiment to create genetically modified human embryos in the United States using a gene-editing tool called CRISPR.
Shoukhrat Mitalipov, director of the Oregon Health & Science University’s Center for Embryonic Cell and Gene Therapy, reportedly led the new research. Mitalipov and the university would not confirm details of the research to CNN.

Hi Alan🙂 Something similar was referred to re the Genome Project, I recall an item on tv news. Here in the UK, progress had been made re certain genetic heart conditions.
Someone with such a condition was interviewed, and said she wouldn’t want screening of any embryo. I’m fairly positive people with certain types of ataxia would have a different opinion😏xB

Yes, your right, just recently there has been a fair bit in the media.
yes, everyone has different views and expectations.

100,000 Genome project is England based with Wales rolling it out (in a reduced capacity) (I am on the advisory board with Wales Gene Park)
Scotland have a similar stance

I was invited to present at a Society of Biology / Wales gene park / Darwin Centre at an event to Medical Students, last year. (I will see if I can find the newspaper item)(think I posted it here to LWA)

You posted Oct 16 and recently there was positive news on the subject👍 It’s good to hear of movement in the right direction🙂xB