Sensitive to touch

Anybody else sensitive to touch? I have sca7 I can’t tell if it’s the disease or me… It’s frustrating because touching another person is hard. And I get so nervous. It’s getting to the point where i dont feel like a person.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: Is it because you don’t like the closeness experienced by touching another person. Usually this sort of thing, like a hug, is comforting. Although, who can say if some people don’t get that feeling of comfort, but instead it feels more like an electric shock. Is that how you would describe it :thinking: Or, just that you feel happier to keep people at arms length :thinking: xB

Thats good I’m not sure either. I think it’s just not as comforting for me. I have never really been comfortable around people. Right now though I think it’s worse. Usually you get better with time right?

:thinking: For me, if I’m having a ‘good day’, being in a social environment isn’t taxing and I manage to interact (conversation) reasonably well. If it’s a ‘bad day’, I don’t want contact with anybody at all. It can be a struggle to actually process thoughts, I have trouble even being civil :smirk: I have to admit it does make me feel odd but I’ve grown to accept that it’s part and parcel of my makeup. Hopefully the good days over compensate for the bad days :wink: xB

1 Like

I need to be more patient with myself. I say that alot and I always try to be but im failing. I feel my mistakes a lot more. When i struggle with my words and when I trip or shake or focus on the spots in my vision I feel bad.

:slightly_smiling_face: You do need to be patient and kind to yourself. I get very frustrated but I’ve come to realise that becoming irritated with myself really gets me nowhere. I fumble, slur, wobble incessantly, miss my mouth with food, cannot tolerate being involved with more than a 2way conversation, my memory and concentration are … :woman_facepalming: I’m wary of going out on my own and the list goes on. For years eye problems have nearly driven me to distraction… I know everybody copes with slightly different challenges but please try and be more kind to yourself ((hugs)) :slightly_smiling_face: That kind of virtual hug is ok :wink: xB

I do think that being kind to ourselves is lots harder than being kind to others. I also think that everyone does the best they can with what they have. I believe we do that, too. And,if slurring words and falling all over is the best we can do,so be it. If that is all we can do, it is ok.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I’ll work on having more patience. I am too hard on myself. I just can’t help comparing myself to the healthy people.

:slightly_smiling_face: I’m almost positive we all can’t help but compare ourselves to healthy ‘normal’ people :wink: xB

1 Like

My problem is on the other end of the spectrum. I suffer from neuropathy, which Meriam-Webster defines as an abnormal and usually degenerative state of the nervous system or nerves. For me, I feel less. My sense of touch is muted, injuries typically cause me less pain than they should, tthere’s even less sensation during sex. It’s only really become noticeable in the last 6 years or so. Does anyone else deal with this? Does it get worse? How do you cope?

:slightly_smiling_face: There have been previous discussions on Neuropathy/Peripheral Neuropathy, try typing it in the search box. Also, see https://www.foundationforpn.org :slightly_smiling_face: xB

I am easily startled by human touch and movement. It produces a jerkiness within me. But it only lasts a second. Is this what you mean? I assume its ataxia related, maybe I am wrong.xo N

Yes that sortve sounds like me. Have you found any ways to help?

Nope I haven’t but its the least of my troubles.