Speech

Hi,

I went to speech therapy with a Dr. who is familiar with working with ataxia patients. We did a lot of tongue-twisters and worked on adapting my speech style to my new needs. I am a public speaker/educator and I often do large public presentations that I was starting to get reluctant to do. We talked about things like using a microphone at all times (I never did), only booking talks for the times of day when I was least tired, sitting on a stool instead of standing up and moving around and changing my presentations to be more interactive and relieving me of all of the pressure. It seemed that most of the suggestions were how to change my style to fit my new (lack of) speech abilities and less of working with my speech to prevent any further decline. She felt that I should come back in a year or so if I felt that I needed more help, but I still feel like I have to concentrate very hard on choosing my words and speaking slower. Sometimes I feel like I have a mouth full of marbles...

For me the loss of my speech has been the worst aspect of my Ataxia.I used to be such a chatter box now I listen.

It is very hard to change and adapt from speaker to listener.My speech is not slurred but I cannot co-ordinate the breathing and speaking at the same time.All I know is that it once came so fluently and easily and I took it for granted and now in spite of all my positive thinking this is the bit that upsets me most.

My personality is the same but as I go to speak gobbeldy gook and a load of coughing and throat clearing comes out.It is more embarrasing than swinging around and dropping everything.

I feel and try and behave exactly the same way . I am a rather boisterous woman with a pizazz for life I have now been toned down and try to listen :frowning:

Thanks!

Julie in Colorado said:

I'm not familiar with any website that would do that. I would ask your doctor for a speech pathologist referral. They are your best bet.

Take care!