Suggestions for Unassisted Walking

Hi - I did a search and didn't find anything related - please excuse if this is a repeat.

My balance currently requires me to use a walking aid, and one of my goals is to walk unassisted by a walking aid.

Does anyone have suggestions or a link to a similar discussion?

By definition 'walking unassisted' usually means walking without any kind of assistance or walking aid. Do you mean you want to be able to walk without any kind of aid? or that you want to be able to use something like a rollator or crutches without a person having also hold onto you?

Are you familure with Dr. Tom Clouse? For me what seems to be working really well is this site. http://walkingwithataxia.com/INHERENT%20PROBLEMS%20AND%20ISSUES.htm

Check it out when you get a chance to see if anything helps. :0) Click on the little guy that is falling to see a video too! :0)

Hope this helps you some! :0)

Thank all.

I emailed Dr. Clause to see if I'm missing something.

Oops - must've been a Freudian slip - not like Santa with an "e", but Dr. Clouse.

Hello Julie, my condition is only in its early stages, onset about 2 years ago, so I've been keen to find strategies that allow me to walk less like a drunk. You know what, walking faster and taking long strides seems to help- maybe a different part of the brain takes over, or maybe the momentum built up negates the lack of balance (like a bicycle that wobbles at low speed but goes steadily and more purposefully at higher speed).

If you try it, let me know the results?

Hi Julie,

I don't use a cane or walker. But I should. People are mean. My walk looks so drunk that's what people assume. When I have a cane. People don't look at me.

I will not bore everyone again, but I find walking poles excellent

http://forum.livingwithataxia.org/forum/topics/walking-poles-instead-of

Some days I do, some days I don't, some I use a cane but am using my walker every day all day now lately. And if I don't, my son jumps my azz and brings it to me. I feel bad using the thing in public sometimes.. but I'd rather have someone look at me with "pity" and wonder what the heck someone my age is doing on a walker, than have my son look at me , upset, and in a rather mean voice say " You know you need the thing, if you don't want to use it and you fall , I don't wanna hear it.". He's being a good son, He worries about me and I love him more than my own stupid pride. I'd rather do what I'm supposed to , to keep from being hurt, than disappoint him. Plus, if anyone looks at me weird and asks what's up, I have a perfect opportunity to tell them about SCA !

Prinessoffire, How old is your son? That is really cool that he does that. It makes things a lot easier. I should use something for walking. But I don't.

Aaron is 24. He gave up a chance to go to the University of Tennessee for college, in order to help me after my back surgery about 5 years ago. It was a really delicate surgery and recovery. Now, this chit is getting worse and I had hoped I'd get him to go on to college but he is refusing for now but I'm hoping that changes. There is a Jr college about a mile and a half up the road, so I hope I can get him into that and he not be afraid to leave me.

Well you raised him right! He shows he loves his mama. Im sure you are proud! I hear you on the collage thing.. Both my daughters spent so much money on collage. And not doing what they went to school for. Good luck