Things That Make You Laugh

And I thought that sneezing was risky!

1 Like

4 Likes

I’ve come to a conclusion that one of the most annoying things is some sort of food wrapper or food crumb stuck to the bottom of your foot.
Cheese wrappers, juice box straw wrappers, or whatever, they are all difficult to deal with.
They are a nuisance for a perfectly healthy individual with good balance let alone a person with some form of ataxia.
As a measure of my disability, I have gone from walking around shaking and kicking my foot like some animal in distress, trying to get it off. (It might hurt me) To just letting it be, there is nothing I can do about it safely. It should come off on its own, eventually. (this could be possibly the ultimate form of lazy)!
I used to balance on one foot while removing something from my foot. Now that has become somewhat of a source of entertainment especially for those around me.
Of course sweeping the floor would help solve this issue. I will have to hint to the maid!LOL Maybe she could sweep up the wrappers together with the shrivelled up Peas that rolled off my fork onto the floor! (I hope she doesn’t read this)!

2 Likes

:joy: There’s usually a collection around my chair. Probably too much information but, you know when you visit a public toilet and inevitably there’s loose paper on the floor… I dread getting any stuck to the bottom of my shoes, I’m not as flexible as I used to be :wink: xB

3 Likes

I have been diagnosed with late onset Friedrich’s Ataxia. I live in a very small farming village, here in The Western Cape of South Africa & our local police usually patrol our streets. We had only been living here a short while & I wanted to go for a short walk. I started off on my wobbly way & it wasn’t long before I heard a vehicle rush up behind me & brake next to me. A man asked me if everything was ok. You guessed it, the cops had been informed that a “possibly drunk” woman was walking around. I smiled & said no, that I was just out for a walk. My family & I had a good giggle. It is nice to know that if I did fall, someone’s always watching & now we’ve been here awhile, most people know I’m not drunk! :smile:

3 Likes

Hi Sheryl :slightly_smiling_face: It sounds like a nice community :slightly_smiling_face: I’m in contact with an Ataxia Support Group in South Africa, if this interests you :slightly_smiling_face: xB

1 Like

I have a similar story, and pardon me for telling it again, I feel as though I’m having a deja vous on this one.
I recall one occasion years ago before I used any forms of assistive devices (cane etc.). I was shopping out of town and it got to be dinner time. I thought I would be nice and treat myself to a steak dinner at a popular restaurant. Reluctantly I decided a glass of red wine would compliment my steak dinner nicely. I ordered a 5oz. glass to help wash down the steak. I didn’t even finish the glass of wine by the way.
Please note that at this moment I am unaware that I have any form of ataxia, Although I occasionally stumble suspiciously.
Upon completion of my yummy dinner and paying my fare, I proceeded out of the restaurant and into the parking lot to fetch my car. I don’t recall, but I may have experienced one of those stumbling sessions.
I got in my vehicle and proceeded to one quick stop at another store. Wandering around buying up useless items that I really didn’t need, a half hour later I was shopped out, checked out and went to my vehicle.
I started my vehicle and was in the middle of reversing when from nowhere appeared the local law enforcement.
They (two or three cruisers) corralled me in, ordered me to exit the vehicle, and indicated that a witness back at the restaurant had notified emergency services that I may be impaired, that they had witnessed me drinking, and my drunken, stumbling walk to my car.
After much difficulty explaining my medical condition and willingly submitting a breath sample. I had convinced them I was not impaired. Not even close. They allowed me to carry on about my way.
I don’t blame my fellow restaurant patron for dialling the authorities, I probably would have done the same.
I don’t frequent public places much anymore, but I would like to stress the importance of using a cane or rollator just to indicate to others around you that you are not drunk, just physically impaired.

2 Likes

Hi Beryl,

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes please, it would be good to have their contact details.

I hope you’re having a great weekend!

Kind regards,

Sheryl

I’ve got her contact details, I’ll send you a PM :blush: xB

1 Like

Thank you I have that same problem

1 Like

I think that if I’m on this forum, this (from the 60’s) didn’t do me any good.
milk

:neutral_face: The milk was lukewarm and very unpleasant in summer. But with an icy plug of milk on top in winter. I’ve never forgotten :joy: xB

1 Like

I remember one Christmas as a " treat" our teacher put orange juice in our milk! You’ve never tasted anything so disgusting. Donna xx

1 Like

:woman_facepalming:
Some treat, what were they thinking🤢 xB

To this day, my ex-Brit husband has refused to drink milk. Maybe that’s why Brits love their pints. Of beer, that is!
Seenie

2 Likes

My husband is autistic, and is wonderful about helping me, IF I tell him exactly what to do. Last night I stumble to the bedroom door and honk out “need. help.”

We have been together for 25 years, but in his autistic mind this request, during a routine time of night, could mean anything from “go to the store and get me a hot fudge sundae” to “get a cup of milk for our son” to “call the hospital I’m having a heart attack”. It’s like he is unable to narrow down the unless possibilities. It gets worse because he sees me like that and goes into Autist Panic.

It is like I suddenly become a cave man, nearly unable to talk, and he is instantly some super complex future space traveler who can’t come down to my realm of simple requests.

:slightly_smiling_face: I know from experience, unless I’m very precise with requests/instructions, my husband will swear I didn’t ask him to do ‘whatever’. He isn’t autistic, but he does have tinnitus, which his his excuse for everything :wink:
You must both get very frustrated, but you’ve been together a long time, and can probably ‘anticipate’ each other’s reactions by now…But I can see where you’re coming from ((hugs)) :slightly_smiling_face: xB