Tis the season for shopping?

I find myself shopping on line and avoiding walking into stores. There is so much movement it makes me dizzy with all the hussel and bussel of people shopping. Does it effect you too?

For the last 2 years I did all my shopping online. Yes I do have a hard time in close quarters. I find the people are somewhat mean at Christmas time. Ha, ha. I did have to go to one store and that was a liquor store. (I told my daughters I would pick them up some wine for Christmas) It was a bit funny. Didn't bring a cane or walker. Lets just say. Not a good place to go when you have Ataxia without a cane or walker. Thank goodness for online shopping.

Lori

I try to do my shopping online or try to get it over with in a single shopping trip,

I find it ironic how the season that touts peace-on-earth is somehow consumed and refocused to grabbing to get the last Cabbage Patch Doll.

So true Julie. And I never win! lol

Same problem in England ,worse if your in wheelchair. I try to see how many I can hit, then blame the wheels saying I got no control because I shake so much. Just a bit of fun!!,!

FREE SHIPPING -= secure ONLINE!

I couldn't walk in close quarters when I was walking with a cane. That's when the tremors start. However, I now walk with a walker. I call it my walking apparatus, it sounds better. I don't walk fast enough so people attempt to get a head of me. If I ever find a walking appartus to the specifications of a grocery cart I'll pick up speed. Look out shoppers I'm coming thru full speed ahead.

I did have problems with dizziness and crowds but I'm so much better since giving up gluten. Before I was diagnosed with Gluten Ataxia I couldn't go to a mall or even the grocery because I couldn't walk without holding onto a cart. My husband had to help me do the grocery shopping and a mall was out of the question. I gave up gluten two years ago and now I can do all the grocery shopping by myself and go to the mall too. I still can't walk the length of the mall so I shop at one end then drive my car to the other end, park and shop at that end. The dizziness is gone and I'm able to shop without much difficulty. I'm not sure why crowds affect people with ataxia but it seems like my brain can't process all that activity but giving up gluten has really helped and there really isn't anything that I can't do now.

Interesting .... I have trouble with crowds or just too much activity .... seems very overwhelming to me. Didn't make the connection until I read this. Luckily, I am a 'mild' case, so I do okay.

I am dependant on a walker. I am of an old generation who doesn't trust buying stuff online. So for years I've been buying things throughout the year but sometimes storage can be a problem. Shoppers sometimes are so crazy and in such a rush. Some shoppers are so nice when they see the walker. They hold doors for me and help reach items for me BUT some people couldn't care less and I fear getting hit with a cart. For some gifts, I just pick out gift cards (this way they have to deal with the lines and crowds- well after all they can walk, I can't). Ho-ho-ho! Merry Christmas!

Thats a good way to look at gift cards.

Yes, I have problems with crowds. I feel like there's too much going on around me. and I can't concentrate. I do better with a grocery or store cart to push. I use a cane (I call it "my security cane, as it's kind of like a "security blanket" for an adult...,ha!), and it's difficult for me to navigate through people in a store or mall with it. I feel as though if someone knocks into me, I could fall, (which is NOT my idea of a good time...,ha!). I'm nursing a hairline fracture of my pelvis due to a fall I took in my kitchen Thanksgiving eve (lost my balance, compliments of ataxia...,ha!). Ouch!!! Anyway, I do a lot of gift cards/and or money for Christmas. The people I give to are grown (my children, step-children, nieces) and seem to appreciate it. Makes it MUCH easier for me with ataxia! I do online shopping for my grandchildren though... ;o)

I miss Xmas when I was up for anything and everything. Now I rely on family for everything - poor them!!!!

Yes Jeannie, it sure does. Airports are a mess for me too!

I started shopping online several years ago, and there is no going back. I love shopping online. If you go to

retailmenot dot com you'll find lots of discounts for sites you're already shopping at including lots of discounts for free shipping! gotta love that!

Thanks for the shopping info Julie! ;o)

Great site Julie! Thanks for this!,

Julie Hahn said:

Yes Jeannie, it sure does. Airports are a mess for me too!

I started shopping online several years ago, and there is no going back. I love shopping online. If you go to

retailmenot dot com you'll find lots of discounts for sites you're already shopping at including lots of discounts for free shipping! gotta love that!

Hi Marty, I know it seems everyone is in our way. And that's when I lose my balance tiring to go around them. They don't know that its easier for them to go around us. Instead they ask. Are you ok?

Don't you just hate that when people say "Are you ok. The last years that I worked, I weaved alot and going down inclines really proposed a problem. I tried to hide my balance issue but it was obvious I had a balance issue and People would say "ARE YOU OK? and of course I would say yes. People can be amazingly hurtful and ignorant about hidden illnesses. They don't mean it in a bad way. Sometimes, I feel like saying, I'm not really clumsy. The floor really hates me, the table and chairs are bullies and the walls get in my way.

So true Jim.I do hate it when people say. ARE YOU OKAY. My daughter just said it to me yesterday. But I told her to please not ask that anymore. But I do feel stupid saying I'm OK. Which to them. I must look really bad.Yea the table, chairs are bullies. Walls get in your way to.

James, Jim. I'm sorry I just had someone tell me it's James.