Told off again

Does anyone else feel like a piece of rubbish.Three tiimes I have been stopped by the same woman.

I am going along on my road scooter getting to the side roads.I do not go on the A roads- too busy.

I wrote a short piece for our local magazine about Cerebellar Ataxia and how I had no choice.I gave up driving, I gave up shopping.I am only 54.

I can't argue back as I cannot speak.

I have been told "We think you ought to stick to the side roads".

I feel like a piece of rubbish. I am not cross as the motive is probably my welfare but I do feel hurt.

I try to do my best and am very considerate to motorists.Most people are very positive and wave.

This wwas and is my one bit of mental therapy.Now I feel scared about going anywhere in case the same thing happens again for the 4th time. This is the same woman but her use of we upset me.

Husband and daughter have told me to get the registration number but I am not angry just concerned.

Has anyone else been told off?

This makes me so mad Marie!

I have to agree with your husband. This person probably thinks you won't find out who she is and confront her. She's clearly a coward. I would get the tag number and have someone beside you handle it appropriately. Then you can go out without being harassed.

Keep doing what you're doing! You have the right to live your life how you want.

No doubt, people can say some stupid things. Just know that whatever ignorant thing that comes out of a person’s mouth is hers, in this case, and not yours.

In no way, does this make hurtful things easier to swallow, but try to ignore uneducated people/thoughts and keep focussing your energy on doing what is good for you.

BTW, congrats. on writing the awareness piece!

Hi Marie!

Like you I had a letter published in our local magazine. I don't use a scooter but felt I

had been labelled as drunk, I was so incensed I 'came out' about my Ataxia to put the

record straight. As long as you feel confident keep on scooting!xB

Hi Julie and Glitter

Thanks for your support.

It's horrible when you feel powerless.

I felt pretty sorry for myself yesterday and I am trying to pluck up the courage to go out again.

I have since thought about this event.As you say the woman is probably potty.No one else has been negative.But it's the same old story of a vivid imagination and a few words thoughlessly said couple to mmake me feel defenceless and a piece of rubbish.The mind can blow all things out of proportion so that yyour enemy gets bigger.In reality the woman probably attacks cyclists and walkers and horse riders.But it was me who was attacked and I felt vulnerable.

My hhusband says I should get the mobile phone out and take a photo of the registration number but I would probably drop the phone in the road,get the shakes and ask a poor , potty elderly woman to pick it up for m e.,so I could photograph the number plate. The mind boggles.

In my mind the use of we made me imagine all my social contacts getting together, being nice to my face, but thinking in reality that I should go on the side roads.

My husband helped me get the right perspective.

Marie

You can't educate an idiot Marie and this woman is an idiot and a bully. Bullies say things then drive away FAST. Remember it takes real bravery to do what you do, on your own. Your are certainly not rubbish, just a good person trying to cope with an awful situation

Hi
basic traffic law is that You are considered a pedestrian and you have the right of way. I would get her liscense plate and report her to the police.

I totally agree with everyone's thoughts here! I also just wanted to add that I think it is great that your continuing to go out and ride. Your showing her how to act and not letting her show you how to act! Her not being able to control you apparently is ticking her off because you are showing you have more guts than she does ). She may be getting ticked off because your showing allot of self control and by not showing that she can get to you and stop you. You win NOT her.

When people are insensitive to something and I find that, it that bothers me, I am told to say under my breath (& it works) I ask my higher power (which I call God- to bless that angry person. That person has their own Higher Power and I let what ever that is take care of them, what ever is outside of themselves that they turn to regardless what that is that's their business. Let their H.P. take care of them.) Bless them Change me (another words Change how I'm feeling about this. Since they have a higher power let that take care of them and just go along and do your thing. Try to ignore her act like she's not there. Now if she physically hinders you then I'd get police or other's envolved if need be. Just so your taking care of yourself that's what matters here! And I say the serenity prayer (God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.). This helps me with ignorant people, it seems to reframe things so I don't have fear about it. Fear doesn't come from God. So maybe saying this in your head can help you too maybe?

FEAR: False Evidence Appearing Real (appearing doesn't mean it is real don't make it real right? :0) ) Have confidence your doing the right thing!

Go girl just don't let her stop you!!!!!!!! I'm impressed you ride.:0)

Actions speak louder than words!

Marie ......so sorry that we have to deal with such rude people. Never had anyone tell me off. Just yesterday a young kid couldn't help but laugh at me. Was at a fast food rest. While ordering I lost my balance and almost knocked his register over. I was appologizing to him that I was not drunk. Why I felt the need to appologize about not being drunk was when I looked at him and said I bet you think I'm drunk. He was very nice and told me not to worry about it. I looked at him and thanked him for being so nice about it. After all we should not have to explain ourselves over this. Their going to think what they want anyways. It's human nature to assume. And that's alright. They are not hurting anything anyways.

These are issues we have to figure out to make ourselves and them comfortable. I firgure when I have to explain anything it will be to ask how informed have they been taught about a disease called Ataxia. We may be surprised at how interested in this disease they become. After all we keep hearing that notmany have heard of it. Maybe this person needs to be getting info about Ataxia. Next time maybe take a copy with info on to inform them. Maybe then they might understand it better.

Good luck with this situation Marie. I wish you well.

By the way Marie was unawhere you are unable to talk. I am so humbaly sorry for you. How long has this been for you? How did it come about? Are you in a wheel chair also? My goodness Marie I will pray for you tonight. Truly sorry.

I have to say one thing I've noticed you do keep a happy attitude. That is awsome. Even though I;m sure some days are crap.

Talk with you again Marie....have a great day.

I like the "we" bit. Here, where I live in S Germany, the "we" is presumably used to counteract any known fact that the "we" brigade don`t communicate among themselves anyway, which in my case is part if not all of the problem. A sensitive awareness of of this Marie may not help, but is a good confirmation for starters.

in texas, we all carry guns, so nobody yells at anybody here unless they've got a damn good reason... an armed society is a polite society I guess

There was a time before Skeeter, before a rollator/walker or even trekking poles...

In retrospect, I think I was trying to convince myself that I wasn't noticeably disabled. Although I'm somewhat of a denial advocate, this attitude often got me in more trouble than it benefited me. I actually thought if I acted normally, no one would think something was amiss. They did. People who knew me well, knew right away something was up, but casual acquaintances and strangers just thought I was impaired for some reason. Pick your impairment of choice--drugs (nope), MS/stroke (nope), dementia (not yet), alcohol (probably). But, that just wouldn't do. Pretending that my struggles were only internal and not obvious, wasn't compatible with preserving my self-image.

In the middle of a nice day, I decided to drive down to a local bike shop to buy my husband a birthday gift. I did and drove home. At the time, I had a dog, Lucy, who felt her "job" was to frighten any potential intruder at the front door with her fearsome bark. Never successfully able to train her that not everyone was a threat, I had to close her off in the family room in order to answer the door(setting the stage, here...).

Lucy, the barking menace

About twenty minutes after getting home, three Lake Oswego policemen (must have been a slow day at the department) were at my door because the bike shop had reported me for suspected drunk driving. They were concerned about my ataxic gait and slurred speech. It was time to face up to what Ataxia (even early stages) looked like to others.

Not quite this bad, but close.

I was both embarrassed and mad, but part of me was grudgingly admiring of the people at the bike shop. They didn't know me and could only observe my symptoms and be concerned for public safety. Not everyone has the courage to turn in someone they believe might be intoxicated. But, my wicked witch side won out, so I was mostly indignant and mad.

Stern faced Police: Are you Mrs. Schuman and were you just at the Lake Oswego bike shop? Can we talk to you?

I thought to myself, "Stay calm Tam, take a deep breathe, don't cry and definitely don't let them see you sweat. You know what this is about and you didn't do anything wrong." Still, when three uniformed cops come to your house, you feel like a criminal.

Rattled Tammy: Yes I am, yes I was, and yes you can. Lucy was going berserk barking and nothing I could do would convince her that I was not going to be shot by intruders.

Cautious Police: Could you put the dog away? I put her in the family room, closed the pocket door, and returned. Have you been drinking today? It was around noon and although I look forward to wine, we're talking evening!

Courteous Tammy: I know what this is about and although I may have appeared drunk at the bike shop, I haven't had anything to drink. I have a type of Ataxia.

I assumed that my explanation would suffice and was shocked when they didn't accept it at face value and leave.

Persistent Police: We need to administer some field sobriety tests.

Now, I watch TV enough to know the tests are probably walking a straight line (can't do that), walking heel and toe (definitely can't do that), stretching arms out to side and bringing index finger to nose (can't dependably do that), and standing on one leg (are you kidding me?). Falling over would be a dead giveaway of test failure.

Heel toe? Gee, I don't think so...

A brilliant thought occurred to me after I informed them I would fail any sobriety tests.

Helpful Tammy: You could call my neurologist or the Movement Disorders Clinic or I could take a breathalyzer test. Yes, I did know they couldn't legally require me to, but I also knew a breathalyzer test would be negative and I was starting to sweat.

Uncooperative Police: We can't do that. Could you put your hands out to your side and alternately touch your nose?

Angry Tammy: Fine! Consider yourselves warned...

Since this is a common neurological assessment exam, I was pretty familiar with it. I obviously did a passable job, because the police seemed satisfied and left, their standards being much lower than my neurologist's. I had managed to stab myself in the eye only once. But I didn't confess to some random crime I hadn't committed and I didn't cry.

At a hastily made appointment later that week, my neurologist gave me a letter verifying that I indeed do have a Spinocerebellar Ataxia. I made several copies of the letter–one for each car, one for me, my husband, the children, the Lake Oswego police.

My daughter-in-law helped me design a "business" card with my picture and contact information on one side, a brief explanation of SCA (and spelling) on the other. I keep them on me, on Skeeter and hand them out to everyone, whether they want one or not; if they trash it, fine. In the event I'm found unconcious on the side of the road, people know who I am, what I look like, what I do and don't have and while I may appear impaired, I'm not (at least, not necessarily). That little card saves me the need to explain SCA for the thousandth time. I found informing people spares them from asking. Although Skeeter and my assorted assistive devices help a lot now simply by being indicative of a person with disabilities, retailers are relieved to have an explanation. Only a few will cautiously ask, but everyone wonders in silence.

Front

Back

The lesson: Give it up–it shows. People notice.

I have also gotten stared at here in Italy where the streets in the old cities are hopelessly uneven and very sloping. But I just keep marching. There are big steps everywhere and very little thought to accessible places. (To be honest, I didn't search in depth.) Sure there are signs here and there, as well as the odd bathroom... but awareness is zero. When I was a child (and later) there was a woman with a shortened arm and leg. She went on to have 4 kids and a totally "normal" life even though she was handicapped in the 40's, 50''s and 60's when there was nothing for the handicapped. I often think of her. I am assuming she is still around. She wasn't particularly nice or suffered fools. She had a big mouth and loved to gossip and was super strict with her kids.. She would have told this woman to go to hell.

In the meantime, you think you have it bad? I find that Italy has very few services for any kind of handicap. For example to deplane, I had to walk down a rickety flight of metal stairs (maybe because I was coming from Tel Aviv and shunted off to the far distance for security....) and board a shuttle bus with a very high step. At the airport terminal in Rome, I had to walk quite a distance to reach the car rental area and then more of a distance to the car park. No one offered to help either. Bannisters and handrails are barely around the places you want to go. Even American run institutions are in the stone age. The Villa I Tatti outside Florence and run by Harvard University, in Cambridge, Mass., has tons of stairs everywhere. Shame on them!!!! Advice: travel with someone who will help you or just stay in the known tourist traps in the big cities. Talk about feeling like rubbish!! Here, the whole society is quite unsympathetic.

Hi Marie and all,

I am 44 and, apart from gaining a few pounds due to the lessening of activity and exercise (not entire lack of) which has come about partly because of my ataxia, I look quite fit and healthy and people often tell me I look younger than I am! It's great when folk say to me "You look fit" or "44! Never, I could swear you where 35 or so" - it makes me feel good. :)

The trouble is that strangers that do not know about my health conditions or how they affect me do not seem to be able to grasp the fact that, although I look fit and healthy (at first or even second glance), I am in fact affected by a neurological problem (ataxia) and a mainly (but not exclusively) muscular problem (fibromyalgia).

Ignorance may be bliss for others but their ignorance and arrogance is no fun for any of those of us that are affected by such health issues as ataxia. This leads to all sorts of problems. :(

Some of the problems that can be very bad and potentially dangerous to mobility scooter users include cars parked on or otherwise blocking the pavement, badly maintained access points such as dips in the pavement and other problems that may be caused by other (often inconsiderate or oblivious to any consideration of others or 'unaware') people that may not be present at the time the problem happens.

The single most dangerous thing for mobility scooter users is when other people are present and either directly or indirectly cause problems. Or, to be more correct, the danger comes from ignorant / arrogant people and there reactions to the mobility scooter user.

Just this week, I have had three incidents where another person has been directly responsible for endangering myself and others with regard to my scooter use;

First a car driver did not (I was watching carefully) indicate to make a turn but turned anyway and nearly hit me as I crossed the road (I was over the divider line). In that case I shouted to ask the lady why she had not indicated and she shouted back (verbatim) "I don't have to indicate for the likes of you." .. !!

The second incident came about when a young girl (maybe 8 - 10) rode her push scooter straight at me even though I had stopped a good 10 feet away from her as I could see she had poor control over the scooter. In that case a woman that assumption led me to believe was the mother looked down as she neared me and the now stopped child and mumbled "sorry". Where was her control over her child? I mean I'm all for letting kids have certain freedoms and all - but this was in a busy car park with cars zooming about.

The third was the most serious event and I must admit that I very much lost my composure and swore at the person that caused the event - an 'accident' where I hit the back of another mobility scooter with mine. A group of teenage lads and lasses where walking up the pavement in the other direction to me and my mum (the other mobility scooter user). As the group got near to us we where crossing a little used minor road with a very busy town roads to our left. As the group passed us, I was distracted by one of the lads thrusting his hand out and up then releasing some bangers /caps. I was in the road so my reaction was to keep going but the bangers / caps hit the ground and made a very load bang. Mum stopped her scooter as the bang frightened her. I could not stop my scooter fast enough. I asked the boy why he had done what he did and got a denial and verbal abuse for my effort. I was enraged and the boy started more denial and swearing - the others in the group put their heads down and did not get involved. I lost my temper and what I called the boy apart from and idiot is not repeatable here. Thankfully, mum and I where not injured and there was minimal damage done to the scooters. Several people came over to ask if we where OK including my former gym instructor who happened to be passing in her car.

The human 'condition' never ceases to amaze me. On the one hand, and thankfully, there are the people that are considerate, do offer help, understand that although outwardly someone may look fit and healthy they may not be so and are generally just good people going about life. On the other hand we have the ignorant, arrogant, uncaring, self righteous, bullying morons.

I have not yet covered the amount of times I get told "You should not be using that scooter they are for pensioners", "You cannot drive that on the road" - my scooter is road legal, taxed, regularly serviced and insured (I have had basic training too and think all mobility scooter users should have such), "There's nowt wrong with yer - your [sic] a lazy dole scrounger" or any of the other verbal abuse I suffer regular when using my scooter!

Marie, and any one else using a mobility scooter please realize this; we use our scooters not because we want to or because it's fun or because we are lazy but because we need to use them - I would not be able to go to friends houses to socialize, go do my regular shopping or even visit my GP if not for my scooter. Sure there are buses that are irregular and not reliable and taxis that are expensive but both have problems as shown and neither can get into a shopping aisle, a friends garden (for parking) or a GP surgery!

It can be dangerous to approach or question a person that causes a problem (such as a person that parks on the pavement) - I understand this only too well. But we should not be put into a situation where we need to approach some one because of their inconsideration or such and we should not feel endangered for doing so.

I recently had a lot of trouble from two guys that would pass me in a white van shouting all sorts of abuse and accusations so I contact the police for advice and was advised to either jot down the vehicle registration or discreetly photograph it and or the offenders. I was also told the the offenders where almost certainly committing a disability hate crime! I now have a small camera in the bag that normally goes where I go. I have a small video camera too that fixes to my scooter but rarely use it due to short battery life. If any of you do decide to take a camera with you or use your mobile phone to take a registration or picture of an offender, please be discreet as you will not want to make a bad situation worse or endanger yourself further.

Drive well, do not allow yourself to be bullied, be discreet in taking information, call the police if you feel endangered or want to make a report (such as vehicle illegally blocking a route) but most of all - STAY safe.

Kind regards,

Michael.

P.S;

Yep! I did it again! I went there! I made another long and ranting post. Sorry an' all but these issues regarding mobility scooter users and the inconsiderate and / or bullies that make our life hell at times really, in the words of the marvelous Peter Griffin, "Grind my gears!".

The cards are a lovely idea, much more elegant than flipping off a rude person, or getting argumentative with the police. Ataxia brings with it a lot of surprising circumstances in public places. Offering your card takes control of that. Thanks.

schumant said:

There was a time before Skeeter, before a rollator/walker or even trekking poles...

In retrospect, I think I was trying to convince myself that I wasn't noticeably disabled. Although I'm somewhat of a denial advocate, this attitude often got me in more trouble than it benefited me. I actually thought if I acted normally, no one would think something was amiss. They did. People who knew me well, knew right away something was up, but casual acquaintances and strangers just thought I was impaired for some reason. Pick your impairment of choice--drugs (nope), MS/stroke (nope), dementia (not yet), alcohol (probably). But, that just wouldn't do. Pretending that my struggles were only internal and not obvious, wasn't compatible with preserving my self-image.

In the middle of a nice day, I decided to drive down to a local bike shop to buy my husband a birthday gift. I did and drove home. At the time, I had a dog, Lucy, who felt her "job" was to frighten any potential intruder at the front door with her fearsome bark. Never successfully able to train her that not everyone was a threat, I had to close her off in the family room in order to answer the door(setting the stage, here...).

Lucy, the barking menace

About twenty minutes after getting home, three Lake Oswego policemen (must have been a slow day at the department) were at my door because the bike shop had reported me for suspected drunk driving. They were concerned about my ataxic gait and slurred speech. It was time to face up to what Ataxia (even early stages) looked like to others.

Not quite this bad, but close.

I was both embarrassed and mad, but part of me was grudgingly admiring of the people at the bike shop. They didn't know me and could only observe my symptoms and be concerned for public safety. Not everyone has the courage to turn in someone they believe might be intoxicated. But, my wicked witch side won out, so I was mostly indignant and mad.

Stern faced Police: Are you Mrs. Schuman and were you just at the Lake Oswego bike shop? Can we talk to you?

I thought to myself, "Stay calm Tam, take a deep breathe, don't cry and definitely don't let them see you sweat. You know what this is about and you didn't do anything wrong." Still, when three uniformed cops come to your house, you feel like a criminal.

Rattled Tammy: Yes I am, yes I was, and yes you can. Lucy was going berserk barking and nothing I could do would convince her that I was not going to be shot by intruders.

Cautious Police: Could you put the dog away? I put her in the family room, closed the pocket door, and returned. Have you been drinking today? It was around noon and although I look forward to wine, we're talking evening!

Courteous Tammy: I know what this is about and although I may have appeared drunk at the bike shop, I haven't had anything to drink. I have a type of Ataxia.

I assumed that my explanation would suffice and was shocked when they didn't accept it at face value and leave.

Persistent Police: We need to administer some field sobriety tests.

Now, I watch TV enough to know the tests are probably walking a straight line (can't do that), walking heel and toe (definitely can't do that), stretching arms out to side and bringing index finger to nose (can't dependably do that), and standing on one leg (are you kidding me?). Falling over would be a dead giveaway of test failure.

Heel toe? Gee, I don't think so...

A brilliant thought occurred to me after I informed them I would fail any sobriety tests.

Helpful Tammy: You could call my neurologist or the Movement Disorders Clinic or I could take a breathalyzer test. Yes, I did know they couldn't legally require me to, but I also knew a breathalyzer test would be negative and I was starting to sweat.

Uncooperative Police: We can't do that. Could you put your hands out to your side and alternately touch your nose?

Angry Tammy: Fine! Consider yourselves warned...

Since this is a common neurological assessment exam, I was pretty familiar with it. I obviously did a passable job, because the police seemed satisfied and left, their standards being much lower than my neurologist's. I had managed to stab myself in the eye only once. But I didn't confess to some random crime I hadn't committed and I didn't cry.

At a hastily made appointment later that week, my neurologist gave me a letter verifying that I indeed do have a Spinocerebellar Ataxia. I made several copies of the letter–one for each car, one for me, my husband, the children, the Lake Oswego police.

My daughter-in-law helped me design a "business" card with my picture and contact information on one side, a brief explanation of SCA (and spelling) on the other. I keep them on me, on Skeeter and hand them out to everyone, whether they want one or not; if they trash it, fine. In the event I'm found unconcious on the side of the road, people know who I am, what I look like, what I do and don't have and while I may appear impaired, I'm not (at least, not necessarily). That little card saves me the need to explain SCA for the thousandth time. I found informing people spares them from asking. Although Skeeter and my assorted assistive devices help a lot now simply by being indicative of a person with disabilities, retailers are relieved to have an explanation. Only a few will cautiously ask, but everyone wonders in silence.

Front

Back

The lesson: Give it up–it shows. People notice.

Just a quick reply about the cards!

I have two laminated cards in my wallet that I take with me at all times. One of the cards I designed myself, probably about two years since, has 'ATAXIA' in large bold print with with a brief description and my photo and other personal details on one side and a list of ways ataxia can affect me on the other - I have only had to use it a few times to date to help inform others of my condition. The other card is from when I voluntarily registered with my local council as a disabled person (it is a certificate of registration). The latter has been used twice as evidence of my disability - first when I called the police concerning an incident and second when I was stopped while by a policeman while riding my mobility scooter as someone had told the officer I had no right to use it! In both cases the police accepted my need for using the mobility scooter, recognized that I had a disability and apologized for troubling me over it.

I have considered going to a business card vending machine to print 50 or so cards (similar to the ataxia one I carry) to give out as needed but have not yet bothered. It seems crazy to me that I have to prove I have medical issues that affect me to all and sundry just because they do not understand, are uncaring or ignorant or can simply not accept my word as truth without a little piece of plastic laminated card or a doctors letter as evidence. Them's the breaks though! :(

Rant on Dude! Get it out! We understand!

Michael said:

Hi Marie and all,

I am 44 and, apart from gaining a few pounds due to the lessening of activity and exercise (not entire lack of) which has come about partly because of my ataxia, I look quite fit and healthy and people often tell me I look younger than I am! It’s great when folk say to me “You look fit” or “44! Never, I could swear you where 35 or so” - it makes me feel good. :slight_smile:

The trouble is that strangers that do not know about my health conditions or how they affect me do not seem to be able to grasp the fact that, although I look fit and healthy (at first or even second glance), I am in fact affected by a neurological problem (ataxia) and a mainly (but not exclusively) muscular problem (fibromyalgia).

Ignorance may be bliss for others but their ignorance and arrogance is no fun for any of those of us that are affected by such health issues as ataxia. This leads to all sorts of problems. :frowning:

Some of the problems that can be very bad and potentially dangerous to mobility scooter users include cars parked on or otherwise blocking the pavement, badly maintained access points such as dips in the pavement and other problems that may be caused by other (often inconsiderate or oblivious to any consideration of others or ‘unaware’) people that may not be present at the time the problem happens.

The single most dangerous thing for mobility scooter users is when other people are present and either directly or indirectly cause problems. Or, to be more correct, the danger comes from ignorant / arrogant people and there reactions to the mobility scooter user.

Just this week, I have had three incidents where another person has been directly responsible for endangering myself and others with regard to my scooter use;

First a car driver did not (I was watching carefully) indicate to make a turn but turned anyway and nearly hit me as I crossed the road (I was over the divider line). In that case I shouted to ask the lady why she had not indicated and she shouted back (verbatim) “I don’t have to indicate for the likes of you.” … !!

The second incident came about when a young girl (maybe 8 - 10) rode her push scooter straight at me even though I had stopped a good 10 feet away from her as I could see she had poor control over the scooter. In that case a woman that assumption led me to believe was the mother looked down as she neared me and the now stopped child and mumbled “sorry”. Where was her control over her child? I mean I’m all for letting kids have certain freedoms and all - but this was in a busy car park with cars zooming about.

The third was the most serious event and I must admit that I very much lost my composure and swore at the person that caused the event - an ‘accident’ where I hit the back of another mobility scooter with mine. A group of teenage lads and lasses where walking up the pavement in the other direction to me and my mum (the other mobility scooter user). As the group got near to us we where crossing a little used minor road with a very busy town roads to our left. As the group passed us, I was distracted by one of the lads thrusting his hand out and up then releasing some bangers /caps. I was in the road so my reaction was to keep going but the bangers / caps hit the ground and made a very load bang. Mum stopped her scooter as the bang frightened her. I could not stop my scooter fast enough. I asked the boy why he had done what he did and got a denial and verbal abuse for my effort. I was enraged and the boy started more denial and swearing - the others in the group put their heads down and did not get involved. I lost my temper and what I called the boy apart from and idiot is not repeatable here. Thankfully, mum and I where not injured and there was minimal damage done to the scooters. Several people came over to ask if we where OK including my former gym instructor who happened to be passing in her car.

The human ‘condition’ never ceases to amaze me. On the one hand, and thankfully, there are the people that are considerate, do offer help, understand that although outwardly someone may look fit and healthy they may not be so and are generally just good people going about life. On the other hand we have the ignorant, arrogant, uncaring, self righteous, bullying morons.

I have not yet covered the amount of times I get told “You should not be using that scooter they are for pensioners”, “You cannot drive that on the road” - my scooter is road legal, taxed, regularly serviced and insured (I have had basic training too and think all mobility scooter users should have such), “There’s nowt wrong with yer - your [sic] a lazy dole scrounger” or any of the other verbal abuse I suffer regular when using my scooter!

Marie, and any one else using a mobility scooter please realize this; we use our scooters not because we want to or because it’s fun or because we are lazy but because we need to use them - I would not be able to go to friends houses to socialize, go do my regular shopping or even visit my GP if not for my scooter. Sure there are buses that are irregular and not reliable and taxis that are expensive but both have problems as shown and neither can get into a shopping aisle, a friends garden (for parking) or a GP surgery!

It can be dangerous to approach or question a person that causes a problem (such as a person that parks on the pavement) - I understand this only too well. But we should not be put into a situation where we need to approach some one because of their inconsideration or such and we should not feel endangered for doing so.

I recently had a lot of trouble from two guys that would pass me in a white van shouting all sorts of abuse and accusations so I contact the police for advice and was advised to either jot down the vehicle registration or discreetly photograph it and or the offenders. I was also told the the offenders where almost certainly committing a disability hate crime! I now have a small camera in the bag that normally goes where I go. I have a small video camera too that fixes to my scooter but rarely use it due to short battery life. If any of you do decide to take a camera with you or use your mobile phone to take a registration or picture of an offender, please be discreet as you will not want to make a bad situation worse or endanger yourself further.

Drive well, do not allow yourself to be bullied, be discreet in taking information, call the police if you feel endangered or want to make a report (such as vehicle illegally blocking a route) but most of all - STAY safe.

Kind regards,

Michael.

P.S;

Yep! I did it again! I went there! I made another long and ranting post. Sorry an’ all but these issues regarding mobility scooter users and the inconsiderate and / or bullies that make our life hell at times really, in the words of the marvelous Peter Griffin, “Grind my gears!”.

Thanks!