Triggers

I am new! I have a possible diagnosis of Episodic Ataxia type 2. I also get migraines. I have so many food triggers that I react to. Is there other people out there with this issue also?. Sometimes I am scared to eat because I don’t know if I will react. I am keeping a list, and it sure is getting long. I am currently taking Diamox and Amitriptyline, which has helped but still suffer with issues daily. Thank you for listening.

Hi,
I don’t know much about those prescriptions but I do know that folks who suffer from migraines are supposed to stay away from dairy and fried foods.

I do not eat dairy or fried foods either. Thank you

Hi, welcome :slightly_smiling_face:
You’ll likely find it helpful to google ‘ataxia.org EA2’. There are several triggers, but not everybody reacts to all of them.
There is a group specifically for EA, when you get a definite diagnosis I can PM you a link. :joy: I see you’ve already found it :wink:

What are the symptoms of episodic Ataxia?
Symptoms of episodic Ataxia can vary considerably from family to family and from individual to individual within the same family. The most common symptoms are episodes of Ataxia (difficulty with balance and coordination) and unclear speech (dysathria) interspersed with periods of normal or nearly normal neurological function. The attacks are usually brought on by exercise, excitement, rapid changes in posture or, in some cases, high-carbohydrate meals.
Copied from www.ataxia.org

Migraines are quite common.

Some people say coffee, and chocolate, are triggers for them.

Episodic Ataxia type 2: Flunarizine, Acetazolamide, and 4
aminopyridine
Copied from www.ataxia.org Medications for Ataxia Symptoms

My own ataxia started off similar to Episodic, I had eye problems and at one time thought to have Epilepsy. Epilepsy was eventually dismissed, and my ataxia symptoms are with me 24/7. My Neurologist still thinks I may have an EA but I’m negative to current findings. Most people are prescribed Diamox (Acetazolamide) but my Neurologist gave me Flunarizine, basically to see if it would help with BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Posterior Vertigo).

2 Likes

I take amitriptyline as well. It helps with nerve pains.

1 Like

:thinking: I’m having almost continuous leg pain, possibly muscles tightening when relaxed, or nerves. I only take Paracetamol at the moment.

1 Like