Walking good for me?

Hi,

I am 45 years old male and diagnosed (and suffering) with (from) SCA3. I would like to know is walking (around 15000 steps per day) beneficial of is there an issue with this?

Regards,
S

2 Likes

Of course walking is good for you. But it must be done safely! Exercise is good for Ataxia. It has been discussed many times here. For example, https://forum.livingwithataxia.org/t/ataxia-worse-after-exercise You can do a search or look in the General topic.

3 Likes

Thanks a ton. Really appreciate!

1 Like

yes it seems to be beneficial but you need to pace your day to get enough rest. stay safe and dont forget to smile. x

1 Like

I’m not all that familiar with different types of ataxia so I looked it up here in my old friend wikipedia. Under treatment it seems to suggest walking is fine - but I would check with a doctor rather than take my word for it.

1 Like

exercise is always good to take, especially if you have the capacity. within the limit of your energy this is really a very good thing. keep it up

1 Like

Hi Valdu12, welcome :slightly_smiling_face: We had a heavy snowfall, and a drop in temperature has made it freeze. I’m looking forward to a thaw so that I can feel confident in leaving the house :slightly_smiling_face: I’d like to walk outside, it makes me feel energised :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

hello, do not deprive yourself of exercises because it is the only way to stabilize the course of the disease. you can either take you a stationary bike or do exercises, on youtube you will find excellent tuttos if you walk you can be done standing or find exercises sitting. there is always a solution . I go once a year to a reeducation center and I admit that it really does me good!

1 Like