What is this?

Every now and again I get a feeling, I can’t explain it well. But, I figure I’m not alone, and I’d like to be able to tell the doctor what it is. So I’m asking y’all.

I have a feeling that passes within a few minutes. Usually I’m driving and all the sudden I feel like my brains not catching up to my body…more than my bodies going faster than my brain I feel like I’m not in my body. I end up slowing down because I’m afraid that I’m not in control or that I won’t react quick enough.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, is there a name for it or better way to explain it?
Lori

The nearest I can compare to that is anxiety attacks. Often happens to me although rarely now that I take a pill for it.

Trying to remember name of pill duh... I was prescribed it for muscle pain but it is also used for anxiety attacks.

I will check it out although someone else on here will probably guess what I am trying to remember.

Patsy here again... the drug I take [twice a day] is Pregabalin 75mg capsules

OMGosh my sisters and I do the same thing. Near as I can tell the one neurologist said since I have full body tremor especially my head, that my head gets tired of focusing on the road for a long time and it just goes back to tremor/ That is the simple explanation.

Plus my eyes don't catch up as fast and they get tired.

Anyway that is kinda what the first Dr. said. The new neuro said nothing about it.

4 sisters and we all have SCA3. Inherited from Mom and Grandma. One sister doesn't drive any more. Myself and the other 2 sisters are fine in town but out of town or on freeway no way.

If anyone knows what this is I would like to hear.

Good luck. Not driving is sad.

I'm not sure this is the same thing, but my problem is with my right leg. I took it upon myself to stop driving because I had a couple episodes where I could not find the brake. When transferring my foot from the gas pedal to the brake, my leg would just hang there. I discussed this with my neurologist and he didn't say I couldn't drive, but he did say that if I continued, I probably would have an accident someday. I couldn't take the chance of hurting myself or worse yet someone else, so I decided to stop driving.

Hi there Lori

I don't think this has anything to do with the ataxia. With ataxia it's the other way around actually: body not catching up with the brain. Like Patsy here above says, it seems more like an anxiety attack. For that I can recommend you a medicine: Oxazepam 10 mg, twice a day. Just ask your doctor. Or you can try the homeopathic 'Rescue' drops if you aren't a fan of meds.

I looked what anxiety symptoms are, and I don’t feel any of those. Kind of the opposite actually. Instead of racing heart and out of breath, I feel quite calm almost too calm. So calm I’m not alert…maybe my neurons are misfiring.

Patsy said:

The nearest I can compare to that is anxiety attacks. Often happens to me although rarely now that I take a pill for it.

Trying to remember name of pill duh… I was prescribed it for muscle pain but it is also used for anxiety attacks.

I will check it out although someone else on here will probably guess what I am trying to remember.

I’ll have to talk to my neuro about it. I’ve felt anxious before almost an anxiety attack, and it is nothing what I experience in the car.

Elle Strik said:

Hi there Lori

I don’t think this has anything to do with the ataxia. With ataxia it’s the other way around actually: body not catching up with the brain. Like Patsy here above says, it seems more like an anxiety attack. For that I can recommend you a medicine: Oxazepam 10 mg, twice a day. Just ask your doctor. Or you can try the homeopathic ‘Rescue’ drops if you aren’t a fan of meds.

That fits, although I’m not aware of any shaking. But I read Essential tremor is the result of abnormal communication between certain areas of the brain, including the cerebellum, thalamus, and brain stem. The cause of essential tremor is unknown, but there is evidence that for some people the disorder is genetic. However, people with no family history of tremor can also develop essential tremor. The abnormal communication seems right.

jsoey said:

OMGosh my sisters and I do the same thing. Near as I can tell the one neurologist said since I have full body tremor especially my head, that my head gets tired of focusing on the road for a long time and it just goes back to tremor/ That is the simple explanation.

Plus my eyes don’t catch up as fast and they get tired.

Anyway that is kinda what the first Dr. said. The new neuro said nothing about it.

4 sisters and we all have SCA3. Inherited from Mom and Grandma. One sister doesn’t drive any more. Myself and the other 2 sisters are fine in town but out of town or on freeway no way.

If anyone knows what this is I would like to hear.

Good luck. Not driving is sad.

Hi Lori
Is it like you are not in your head? And you need to blink hard to clear your head which works for me. I have this sometimes. Anyone other than our fellow Ataxians reading this would think omg…

Yes, that’s the only way I know how to explain it. When I feel that way next time I’ll blink hard. Thanks.

Suzi said:

Hi Lori
Is it like you are not in your head? And you need to blink hard to clear your head which works for me. I have this sometimes. Anyone other than our fellow Ataxians reading this would think omg…

I'm new to this ataxia and this discription is pretty accurate when it does happen. It's an odd sensation to say the least!

Don't know if it has a name but get similar feeling some days, like being in a fog, often say to my Hubby it's like I know there is a world around me but I & my body don't feel a part of it. Like your observing what's going on but don't FEEL part of it. Some days it lasts all day.

Errilyn said:

Don't know if it has a name but get similar feeling some days, like being in a fog, often say to my Hubby it's like I know there is a world around me but I & my body don't feel a part of it. Like your observing what's going on but don't FEEL part of it. Some days it lasts all day.

ME JANE said:

Errilyn said:

Whoa, I can’t imagine that feeling lasting all day.

Errilyn said:

Don’t know if it has a name but get similar feeling some days, like being in a fog, often say to my Hubby it’s like I know there is a world around me but I & my body don’t feel a part of it. Like your observing what’s going on but don’t FEEL part of it. Some days it lasts all day.