A little hello

WELCOME, keep trying and be positive

Welcome, Katie! I’m so glad you found us. You will have support and love from all of us. I ve had CA for about 15yrs. At 71 I m still walking ,using a walker for past 8 yrs. Find good exercise and yoga. I’s so important. Wishing positive thoughts, Sharon

Thanks for welcomes, rose, betty l martinez, and Gfgirlo1! Good to know we have people who understand us :]

Hi Katie. I was diagnosed with Ataxia when I was 52 ( I'm now 55 ). Even though I was diagnosed at 52, it's my opinion that I've had the condition my whole life. I was very clumsy as a child. I could never do anything as well as other children. I was never any good at sports and I have never been able to ride a bicycle because I can't balance it. I think my Ataxia is hereditary since my father and my two brothers also stumble around, but not to the extent that I do. I don't know this for a fact, since none of them was ever diagnosed with Ataxia, but it seems odd that they have the same symptoms. I agree with everyone else. This is a great group to belong to. We understand what we are all going through. Take care and I'm sure I will see you again. Nice meeting you.

Hi nice to meet you Katie I just join this group too and have found it very helpful. I have SCA2 also and i am 25 was diagnosed when I was 23.

Lovely to talk to you Katie. I am so sorry that you have to go through this especially while you are so young. I to have cerebellar ataxia but my symptoms were easy for me to mask when I was 23. That was when I'd just got married and I had a beautiful baby boy a short time later so I had to be strong for him.

I read your piece about things you wish people understood and I think it is marvellous. Especially the bit about people assuming that you have an intellectual disability if they see you are ataxic.

Don't give up, there are many wonderful things and wonderful people to stay strong for, life is really so good. Just keep trying. It is lovely to see you here and I am looking forward to reading more from you.

Thank you Caitriona! Nice to "meet" you as well. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading my post -- it's good know there are others who can relate and to be part of such a welcoming, supportive community :]