A little hello

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I was diagnosed with cerebellar ataxia only last fall -- age 23. I know it's not common for people my age, so we're still working on the cause, though we've already ruled out a lot.

I've had some pretty big changes in my life due my health in the past year, so I'm here hoping for people to share with.

If you want to know more, you can click on my profile, and I've got a better description :] Glad to meet you all <3

Lovely to meet you too Katie! This site is wonderful and if I ever need someone who understands my questions and frustrations its the first place I come to.

Hello Katie as Gail Said, this is a wonderful site and you will meet great people here. My daughter Cassie has sca2. She is 22. All the best

Thanks Gail and Punk!

HI KATIE

I HAD A CAT NAMED KATIE. GLAD TO HAVE YOU IN THIS GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE. MY NAME IS JAN AND I GOT ATAXIA WHEN I WAS 15 AND TODAY I AM 62. IT CHANGES YOUR LIFE YES BUT DONT GIVE UPIF THINGS GET HARDER YOU HAVE TO GET HARDER TOO..NICE TO MET YOU/

HI Katie.. glad you found us.

CA/72/UK

Hi Katie.

Nice to meet you. I see you like music - so do I.

See you around. All the best,

Doug Smith, Bristol, England.

Hi Katie i found out to about having cerebellar ataxia when i was 23 too. I know how frustrating it is to not have much information on it and to go to doctors who know nothing really about it. Just keep your head up. looking forward to reading more of you blogs

Hi Katie,

There are a lot of nice people on here, it's good that you found us. It's so important that you are able to connect with understanding people.

I was diagnosed about 6 years ago, although I started to notice little things a couple of years before that. I'm 45 now I still work and drive and try to be as independent as possible.

Nice to meet you!!

Hi Katie,
Welcome to this wonderful site. I joined two years ago, looking for answers after being diagnosed with ataxia caused by a cerebellar stroke. I am fortunate that it is not progressive, but it was difficult to go from being very athletic all my life (I am 69) to not being able to stand up in a split second…
But life goes on and it is what it is.
As Rayjan said, you have to get tougher and tougher and keep exercising to keep your strength.
Best wishes to you and take care.

Welcome to this wonderful site. The support you will gain here is absolutely invaluable in a world where ataxia is a foreign word to most people.

While looking for the cause of your ataxia, please make sure gluten ataxia is looked into. If you're one of the lucky ones and have this type, you will be able to stop the ataxia in it's tracks.

Best wishes

Poppy

Hi Poppy! Thanks for the welcome.

I have many, many allergies and other digestive issues, so gluten has been out of the picture for a while. Thank you for bringing it up though!

Poppy said:

Welcome to this wonderful site. The support you will gain here is absolutely invaluable in a world where ataxia is a foreign word to most people.

While looking for the cause of your ataxia, please make sure gluten ataxia is looked into. If you're one of the lucky ones and have this type, you will be able to stop the ataxia in it's tracks.

Best wishes

Poppy

Also thank you to all the other welcomes :]

Anita -- I hadn't looked at the blog feature, so it's a good thing you pointed that out!

Cicina -- I was a dancer growing up, but I had to stop around age 16. At the time, they called it fibromyalgia. It's hard having to give those things up! Hope you are doing well now.

Thank you Katie. I can walk but in a very wobbely way. Running is out of the question. But you might say, why would a 69 year old wonan want to run? Because she did it for 35 years and it is tough to give it up in an instant. However, I walk every day, twice a day outdoors if weather permits, and on my treadmill when the weather is bad. I have intention tremors in my left side, but my right side is almost normal. I have a vision field cut and I am dizzy 24/7. My fatigue, like most of the members of this forum is extreme and standing up for more than 10 or more minutes is very difficult. But I have a wonderful family and this is half the battle. So Iam not complaining. I am lucky this happened at 67…

One thing you must not forget is to laugh. Laugh as much as you can. At yourself, at jokes, at shows, at anything you want. You have to adapt. Do not look back at what you could do, but at what you can do now or what you could try to do. I am sure it is much more difficult at your age , to accept a life with ataxia than it is at my age, so try not to look ahead, but live every day to the fullest.

Surround yourself with people who love you and help you. Don’t worry what others think about you. You are young and can still enjoy life.
Consider yourself hugged :slight_smile:

Katie F said:

Also thank you to all the other welcomes :]

Anita -- I hadn't looked at the blog feature, so it's a good thing you pointed that out!

Cicina -- I was a dancer growing up, but I had to stop around age 16. At the time, they called it fibromyalgia. It's hard having to give those things up! Hope you are doing well now.

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the group, whatever you are feeling please share it with us. It get easier knowing you are not alone.

Thanks for the hug <3 and the kind words! I am learning to laugh -- sometimes I forget to find the humor in things, but I'm getting better at it each day! My symptoms are similar... guess that's why we're here :p

Thanks Mel! Today, I'm really glad I reached out and joined this community. You're right -- it makes all the difference knowing you're not alone in it!

Mel said:

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the group, whatever you are feeling please share it with us. It get easier knowing you are not alone.

Hello, Katie. It's nice to meet you, too. I'm new too, and I'm 21! I hope you're keeping well and get what you desire from the site. :]

- Annabelle, London, UK

Hey Annabelle! I've always wanted to visit London. Glad to see I'm not the only newb around :p Hope you're doing alright!

meep_ said:

Hello, Katie. It's nice to meet you, too. I'm new too, and I'm 21! I hope you're keeping well and get what you desire from the site. :]

- Annabelle, London, UK

Welcome to this site, Katie! I was diagnosed with my ataxia eleven years ago. This is a great site with wonderful people that are supportive and understanding! Ataxia is frustrating and challenging, but you are not alone in your journey!