Allergies

I just had an interesting discussion with a friend of mine who has MS. She just had one of her worst flare ups ever which causes her extreme weakness - she was in bed for 3 solid days. Her husband dragged her in to the neuro, who commented that he had never seen her this bad. He did an MRI, which showed she was still stable, so he started her on steroids.

Apparently, he has seen more people in the past 2 weeks due to the allergen count being so high. He said that even if people don't have allergies per se, their amune systems are still working overtime with the increased levels.

She contacted me to see how I have been doing. My sinuses have been congested, which makes my balance even worse, which means I fall more. But - I was encouraged to know that the season change is really a factor, and this too shall pass :-)

Off to buy a stronger decongestant! Hope you are all doing OK. I am in the midwest - leaves are getting pretty, mold and ragweed count, not so much!!!

Hi Cynders!

Definitely food for thought! We're surrounded by trees, my husband and daughter

suffer from sinus problems, and mould can cause a lot of symptoms.

Everything looks pretty in the autumn but it's best viewed at a distance! xB

Interesting that being congested from whatever allegies are out there would contribute to more difficulty with balance. Never thought of that. So, Claritin with D would be better to take than just plain pharmacy brand of non-drowsy allergy relief, I assume. How many mg. do you find effective?

Thanks, as I reach for the allergy pills. I was wondering why I was doing so poorly.

Dear Cynders, I don't suffer from allergies and my ataxia symptoms (24/7) have been the same. Just wanted to say hello and appreciate the information, as it is very thought provoking. Who knew that someone like your friend, would have an increase in MS symptoms, and not have allergies? I hope your congestion is short-lived, as it's making your ataxia symptoms worse! I live in Michigan and the weather has been sunny and mild. Of course the leaves are beautiful! Fall is my favorite season!!! ;o)

I've been taking the 24 hour tablets - like Zyrtek, only I buy the store brand since it is usually much cheaper. I think they are 10 mg tablets. That has been helping a great deal.

Umigal said:

Interesting that being congested from whatever allegies are out there would contribute to more difficulty with balance. Never thought of that. So, Claritin with D would be better to take than just plain pharmacy brand of non-drowsy allergy relief, I assume. How many mg. do you find effective?

Hi Phoebe - same here, especially in the morning when I first wake up. One of the guys I work with even asked the other day if I was getting worse. I said I didn't think so, that my sinuses were just really bad that day. I had been a lot more dizzy as of late, so was beginning to wonder. Now I am looking forward to a hard frost!

Phoebe said:

Thanks, as I reach for the allergy pills. I was wondering why I was doing so poorly.

Thank you, Rose. I love the Fall too. I never had allergies before, but I know they can develop at any time. Just being extra "sniffly"is catching me this season. Enough to make the fall season have new meaning with my ataxia :-)

rose said:

Dear Cynders, I don't suffer from allergies and my ataxia symptoms (24/7) have been the same. Just wanted to say hello and appreciate the information, as it is very thought provoking. Who knew that someone like your friend, would have an increase in MS symptoms, and not have allergies? I hope your congestion is short-lived, as it's making your ataxia symptoms worse! I live in Michigan and the weather has been sunny and mild. Of course the leaves are beautiful! Fall is my favorite season!!! ;o)

This year has been really bad for me. I've started taking over the counter AllerClear (one in 24hrs from Costco or CVS=Generic for Clairton for allergie's) tablet for indoor and Outdoor, allergies daily now. Man it's really made a huge difference for me. It helps my balance and overall functions. Who knew?

My eye's have been watering allot too. I was getting blurred vision and it freaked me out and I thought it was just my ataxia or I was going blind. So I went to my eye Dr. and he gave me 2 different eye drops because he said I have inflammation going on behind my eye's. They are over the counter also. I take Opcon-A (dries up the watering)wait a few mins then 2 drops of Systane Balance (which I was told are artificial tears only) These are working for me. He told me that they can be taken forever that they are NOT addicting to the eye ball. In a few weeks test if I still need to take them by just not putting drops in the eye for a few days and see if I need them anymore or not.

Since I'm funny about having to take anything I only use them when needed. Because this combo works for me as a last resort! :0)

I never had allergies before last year and this year they seem worse. I'm not thrilled about this but at least I found something that works for me.

Someone mentioned that the inter ear is effected with having allergies' and they may not have any other symptom. So I started doing Yoga head moves while laying on the back turning the head to the right leaving it there for count of 30 then to the left for count of 30 too. I'm getting less and less dizzy doing this. At first it was more difficult to do, so something's working.

I thought I'd also just throw that out there just incase someone else is going through the same thing. There always seems to be something more natural that seems to help me. Finding it is almost a full time job though. :0)

Thanks for your info!

Thanks for all the information Jeannie! ;o)