Arthritis and Ataxia

I don’t know if I mentioned this or not but because of my Ataxia and change in my gait over the years, my right knee and top of the right hip are bothering me when I move. Enough already Ataxia! :unamused:

1 Like

:confused: I know I already have Arthritis in my right arm and hand…and my knees are becoming painful too
:thinking: Would you consider a knee replacement if the situation worsened…

1 Like

Probably not! I guess it depends upon the severity. Because of a miniscus tear in left knee some years ago, I had a shot of gel in my knee to fill the gap. It worked thank heaven. :grinning:. I would try that first again before considering ANY surgery.

1 Like

Because of my Ataxia and my Rheumatoid Arthritis AND i am in a power chair because of weak legs, my doctors all agree that surgery is not an option for me.

Thank you for sharing.

hello, I think that each individual is unique. Due to my ataxia, I had to have hip surgery in June because the pain was so severe that I had no rest, including at night. so I have a dual mobility prosthesis and I admit that it changed my life. now I have a patellar syndrome for a few years always because of my imbalance, I suffer more and more and after having tried everything, we aunt the PRP (plasma enriched in platelets) before operation of the kneecaps. I support you in your difficulties, good luck!

2 Likes

I’m dealing with the same thing now. My right knee was injured in a fall but thought it would heal. Mostly it has but is still weakened. As a result my hip flexors in my right hip are strained. Its all connected. Swimming is helping a lot. Doc says to find a massage therapist who has extra training on how to release psoas (read about this). In addition I’m wearing a knee sleeve and a 2lb weight on my right ankle to slow my right leg. Its more agressive when walking and creates imbalance. Swimming strengthens glutes which is most important with all this. I’m not needing hip replacement, just proper muscle strength to handle walking funny. oh, sitting too much makes all this much worse.

:thinking: It really is individual choice…the level of pain involved…and how much it interferes with day to day movement

Sititing is when I get total relief from Vestibular symptoms…and it can get to be a habit
But…I’m not doing myself any favours
Getting going again is like starting from scratch every time

After reading all he replies I have decided I am lucky only having Spinobellar Attaxia Type 6.I have all the common symptons we get plus a pinched nerve in L5/S1 of the spine which makes me walk with a stoop
but still manage to go to the gym and do light yoga at home.I am trying hard to avoid getting worse.!! I am very lucky and feel blessed compared to some people Keep smiling ands postive all of you , I really all the feedback on this site

2 Likes