Ataxia, bloodpressure and cholestrol issues

Has anyone else had issues with weight gain, irregularly high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol levels since diagnosed with ataxia?

Yes but... so has my husband .. I think is age related.

I dont like taking drugs but do use the blood pressure ones.

xx

Out of the 3 things mentioned, I can identify strongly with weight gain!

I suspect that Ataxia is indirectly involved because I'm not as active these days,

which is not to say I was any kind of athlete prior to this.

Despite having a treadmill and stepper, I just can't motivate myself, so therefore

am only compounding the problem.

Diet probably has a part to play. I was trying to be gluten free, overindulged on

pasta and had a week of horrible brain fog. A blood test by my GP came back

as 'within range'. So, after having eaten gluten again for 6wks, I'm having

another blood test shortly for gluten sensitivity. Gluten makes me feel bloated,

heavy, lethargic and sometimes the brain fog is indescribable.

Weight gain makes me sluggish and depressed, I don't even want to shop for

new clothes, how awful is that!

Note to self - must be more strict re food and exercise! xB

Yes, I have gained over thirty pounds in the last year and a half, much of that due to my not being able to exercise without falling down. I also cannot go on long walks because it is too exhausting. My blood pressure went up also, and I am now on medication for that. (Atenolol) My cholesterol has been ok.

I had been diagnosed with late onset cerebellar ataxia about three years ago, but my symptoms were noticed before that.

So, now there has been an increase in my anxiety, and that means a medication (citalopram) for that!

Sigh!

Judy

Yep dr called me yesterday have to start taking Cholestid mess now n neuro today wants me to start mess for tremors. I don’t like medicine period but ill try it n see what happens. We moved treadmill in house set up but so far I have just looked at. I also ordered one of those peddlers can sit in chair n peddle like bike. Can’t fall over that way.

Trying to motivate myself hasn’t happened yet but I’m not giving up yet.

Weight gain caused by change in lifestyle.Used to walk everywhere and garden and teach.Never sat down.

Now feel like an unfashionable hippo.Can't wear jeans as tummy is so large now.Legs and arms are like sticks.

Don't like exercising as it is getting more difficult,can't walk or write and don't eat much because of the tremors.Have evendropped chocolate!!

Low bloood pressure so Neuro gets sidetracked into thinking I have Multi System Atrophy.Hafd tests twice-negative.

No probs with chloresterol yet but who knows !!

Weight gain seems to be a common theme with ataxia, and as others have said it's probably because activity level is so different. In my case, although I'm on Weight Watchers and have lost 30 lbs, it takes FOREVER to lose weight, probably due to my age (59) and lower activity level...,ha! I had high cholesterol before my ataxia diagnosis (runs in my family, on my dad's side), and have no problem with blood pressure, as I usually run low..., ;o)

Marie, I shouldn't whinge about not buying new clothes, the pairs of trousers I have that are unworn is shameful. But, it's because as you say, they're not comfortable to wear, give me elasticated waists any day! Vanity has flown out of the window! I've hung onto clothes that I'll never be able to get into again. Today, rummaging for something, I came across a skirt I wore about 25yrs ago, I wouldn't get the waist around one leg now! xB

Marie Turner said:

Weight gain caused by change in lifestyle.Used to walk everywhere and garden and teach.Never sat down.

Now feel like an unfashionable hippo.Can't wear jeans as tummy is so large now.Legs and arms are like sticks.

Don't like exercising as it is getting more difficult,can't walk or write and don't eat much because of the tremors.Have evendropped chocolate!!

Low bloood pressure so Neuro gets sidetracked into thinking I have Multi System Atrophy.Hafd tests twice-negative.

No probs with chloresterol yet but who knows !!