Ataxia/Foot Ware

Villi what type of walker to you use outdoors?

Ville said:

My physiotherapist told me to wear fitted shoes that won't trip me up when I get around (with a walker now). My issue now isse that I drag my feet so badly that I've worn out pairs of shoes and boots after 2 months or less. I'm now thinking about how to modify shoes and boots so that I don't have to spend so much money on this. I did think of asking a shoemaker/bootmaker/cobbler to install a metal piece on the front and under the shoe at the front. Then I thought about the damage this would do to wood floors-so slippers inside. Then I pictured myself walking to the library on the ashphalt of the sidewalk making sparks and setting small fires as I go. Ummm. What's that expression? "Necessity is the mother of invention".

I often use a lightweight walker with two small and slow wheels at the front and two ski-like feet in the back (when I have to use stairs {must have a railing for me to hold onto}, I can easily carry it. Kind of like this: http://www.1800wheelchair.ca/product/4317/deluxe-folding-walker-with-5-wheels

I prefer using the bigger walker I have, because I feel safer with it. That I feel safer with it is also why I can't take it everywhere; it's heavy. With it's larger and more numerous wheels, I thought it would roll on and over almost everything, but it doesn't. Gravel, thick carpeting, grassy areas, and more give this beast some trouble and needs a help, but its weight becomes a problem. It also doesn't fold very much, making travelling somewhere in a smaller car difficult. It looks like this: http://www.1800wheelchair.ca/product/5122/hugo-elite-rollator-walker

Do you have an idea?

I have a Travelscoot for getting around. Not in the house. Very lightweight and portable. Google Travelscoot. Also I live in crocs and sketchers You would not believe how many people compliment me on my sandals They donā€™t look like crocs !! Anything with too much tread makes me trip up

Thanks Irene. I'll check out the Croc sandals for sure. Like I said, though, I drag and so hope the asphalt doesn't hurt my feet.

Irene said:

I have a Travelscoot for getting around. Not in the house. Very lightweight and portable. Google Travelscoot. Also I live in crocs and sketchers You would not believe how many people compliment me on my sandals They don't look like crocs !! Anything with too much tread makes me trip up

I know itā€™s an old thread but I literally just realised I walk better with high heels! And yes the higher seems to be better (within manageable range). That is just so bazaar! Time to go shopping for sexy shoes haha. I also donā€™t walk well on carpets. I think my problem has a lot to do with proprioception. I also like to carry heavy backpack cuz it helps with my gait. I was looking everywhere to see if heels can help Ataxia and I could not find it. I have EA of unknown type. So much to discover about my cerebellum :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve abandoned slippers in favour of Sketchers Go Walk, I feel more stable :slightly_smiling_face: xB

After years of wearing fashionably high shoes my feet are now paying me back :smirk: It must be at least 15yrs since I was last able to balance in heels :flushed: Watch out charity shops :wink:

I have a least one pair of boots dating back to the 1970s, barely worn :smirk: Over the years my feet have ā€˜spread outā€™ and Iā€™ve actually gone up almost two sizes :roll_eyes:

Shoe shopping was a favourite pastime :slightly_smiling_face: Shoes were usually the one thing that always fit, no matter how much weight differed :slightly_smiling_face:xB