Orthotics/Braces?

Does anyone use any braces for their legs for support? Just came back from my first hippotherapy appointment today and the PT really seems to think that orthotics and lower leg braces for my left leg will help. I'm really wary of using any type of brace because I've always heard that it distorts your body's normal mechanisms, but maybe I'm past that point anyway. Have any of you used anything like this? And has it been helpful?

Thanks!

I wear a swedish knee cage to prevent knee hyperextension. It has kept me out of a wheelchair for years.

Ideally not wearing a support is best but when you have ataxia a support is safer and may prevent injury to other body areas.

I get terrible back pain and i'm sure would have painful arthiritis if I didn't us the brace.

My advice would be to try different things and see what helps you. Everyone is different. The experts don't always know the answers.

I tried orthotics over the years on and off with different consultants but have had to give up as they are too uncomfortable.

I had foot straightening surgery in 2004 but it has caused other problems with my leg and hip.

I have never been offered braces but would not consider them personally. A good fitting shoe, especially trainers, seem to be best for me. Physio told me that it is better to walk safely than correctly. I am 72 next month but perhaps if I was much younger, I might think differently.

Hey... I wore braces starting at age 16-17. They do help. However, flip side of coin is that they accelerate atrophy of ankles/calves. Mine are pretty atrophied. I still wear them even though I'm in a wheelchair because they give support in case I need to stand (bathroom) or get up (fall out of wheelchair). It doesn't distort your body's normal mechanisms but it does lead to underuse of certain muscle groups. In my case, there wasn't really any other option... Braces have helped me continue working out which is great for anyone with ataxia.

I hope my information helps!

Thanks Izaine! Yeah I'm worried about atrophy too. My left calf is a LOT smaller than my right (my left thigh and left forearm are smaller too, but not as bad) and it scares me how quickly it's shrinking, despite exercise. My PT mostly wanted me to use braces to prevent my knee from hyperextending when I walk (it's a really awkward walk) so the braces may prevent damage to my knee joints, but I definitely don't want to lose any more muscles!

What braces do you use? Are they just for your ankles, or do they go up to your knees too?

I had 2 leg braces about 60 yrs ago for drop foot they were spring operated and they worked good for me. I used them for about a year or so and my drop foot cleared up eventually. I think now I may be able to use braces because when I take a step my muscles seem to start bending my legs at the knees a lot My walking changes from hour to hour it seems, depending on where I am in the house. I seem to have different things happen in the kitchen that I don't see happening when I am in another room. My legs are getting to be more stiff walking like frankenstien and I some times feel like I have stiff person syndrome. Jerry

Atrophy to calfs and hamstrings may be as a result of hyperextending! These muscles are not working to stop the leg flicking back. A knee brace will stop the hyperextension but in standing the hamstrings will activate again. Using a brace will also allow you to do more excercise therefore reducing atrophy.
. runner said:

Thanks Izaine! Yeah I'm worried about atrophy too. My left calf is a LOT smaller than my right (my left thigh and left forearm are smaller too, but not as bad) and it scares me how quickly it's shrinking, despite exercise. My PT mostly wanted me to use braces to prevent my knee from hyperextending when I walk (it's a really awkward walk) so the braces may prevent damage to my knee joints, but I definitely don't want to lose any more muscles!

What braces do you use? Are they just for your ankles, or do they go up to your knees too?

I use braces called DAFOes. I got them from orthopedist at University of Virginia named Don Payne. Make sure they fit well because it is expensive to get new ones. The ones I have, I've had for a really long time.

First, it was just ankle braces then PT recommended the braces go all the way up to just under the knee. I didn't like the stiffness of the ankle to knee braces so I went back to just ankle braces. Knee braces are a lot stiffer and force you to use your thighs more and accelerate atrophy of the calf/ankle way more than just ankle braces. I think it is good to retain *some* movement because that way your muscles can move and flex even though it's atrophied. It's just a personal preference.

runner said: