Botox

My eyesight was ok until I had Iritis in 1998.

Since then I've had worsening double vision.

Currently, I have a very highgrade prism, plus

a stick-on prism in the left lens of my glasses,

to give me normal vision in that eye. I also

have Nystagmus.

For the last few weeks I've been wearing an

Occlusal Contact Lens in my left eye, as an

alternative to glasses. This is because my eyes

seem to bounce against the prism, making balance worse.

Next month I have to decide whether to try Botox

injected the eye muscle to help alleviate the

double vision.

Has anyone any experience of having this done?

Hi Beryl - I had double vision for awhile - even sported an eye patch for a bit which was smoking’ hot!

I had surgery where they clipped the inside and outside muscles to correct my one eye that wonked out and went cross-eyed during my brain bleed-totally different from ataxia.

Although the doctors thought that the surgery might alleviate my double vision (and prism glasses were too heavy for my face?), it corrected the crossed-eye; however, something I identify as funky, not double vision, still remains.

I haven’t heard about the Botox option and will be interested in all responses to your post or any links or information you have.

Hi Glitter,

When I didn't get any immediate response from anybody to my question, I thought everyone must have

thought I was idiot, considering botox for double vision!

Let me assure you that this suggestion came from a Consultant Eye Surgeon, who does this work on

a regular basis. Apparently, it is effective in a lot of cases, although the results tend to peter out after

about 3mths and the procedure is done again.

My mother had an anuerism behind one of her eyes, and she had to wear a black patch for a while!

The glasses I wear are quite heavy because of the thickness of the lenses, so I'm keen to explore just

about anything really.

The Occlusal Contact Lens I have has started to go transparent due to the solution I have to keep it in,

so I spend a lot of time with one eye shut! I am expecting a 'custom made' lens asap, also supplied by

my local hospital. By this I mean one with a good colour match for my other eye.

I will definitely post future progress, or not, as the case may be!

Glitter on Butterflies said:

Hi Beryl - I had double vision for awhile - even sported an eye patch for a bit which was smoking' hot!

I had surgery where they clipped the inside and outside muscles to correct my one eye that wonked out and went cross-eyed during my brain bleed-totally different from ataxia.

Although the doctors thought that the surgery might alleviate my double vision (and prism glasses were too heavy for my face?), it corrected the crossed-eye; however, something I identify as funky, not double vision, still remains.

I haven't heard about the Botox option and will be interested in all responses to your post or any links or information you have.

Hi Beryl,

I had hydrocephalus which resulted in trunkal ataxia last July.

I am now in rehab, with balance, eye and speech problems.

I have had two shots of botox first one failed, second one worked and my eyes aligned.

As previous postings, it does wear off, as it wears off the double vision comes and goes.

Mine lasts approximately 6-8 weeks, then 4 weeks of a moving target.

I am now at the stage where they consider corrective surgery, I must admit I'm really worried about any operations now.

I am also being assessed for a 'gore-tex' implant in my right vocal chord, has anybody undergone this procedure and shed any light from a personal procedure.

thanks for any info

Jaynie

Hi Jayne:-)
Since my above post, I did try Botox to realign the eye. Unfortunately it didn’t.
So, because the eye was turning in, my surgeon did Squint surgery, which sounds
very like the procedure Glitter describes.

This has worked, to give me single vision but only up to a distance of 5-6 ft. I now
have a prescription for a small amount of prism in distance glasses.

I didn’t like walking around with prisms, nystagmus made my eyes bounce against
them, I felt more disorientated and it effected balance control.

I totally understand your concerns, any surgery needs careful consideration. I felt
there was no other option after the Botox failed.

Re your query about a ‘goretex implant’, you might get more replies if you do a
separate post, it would appear online more prominently. Best wishes xB

Hi Glitter :slight_smile:
Botox worked for Jayne, but not for me unfortunately.

It seems I went on to have similar surgery as you. In my case, the surgeon
put adjustable stitches into the corners of my eye (under general anaesthetic)
and after I woke, she tweaked the stitches to align the eye muscle, until I could
see single.
Bat wishes xB