Do you get extra wobbly when ill?

My ataxia comes and goes. But the slightest hint of illness and that's it.. I go from relatively upright to unable to walk hardly at all in a very short space of time, and then it takes a while to go back to (my) normal.

Sometimes the first indication that I'm about to be ill is my loss of balance!

Jules

I think most of us are the same way. I know I can often tell when I'm about to get sick because I will become more unstable and my vertigo kicks up. It will last and make me worse for awhile after I feel better even. I'm not sure anything can be done about it, but I know extra rest is important for people with Ataxia as our bodies have to work so much harder to maintain especially when sick.

Yes me too.. I feel much more vulnerable when it happens and get really stroppy. I do take lots of vitamins to keep immune system strong - Echinacea when I feel something coming on.

Patsy x

yes I definitely become more unstable when sick.... Anything that saps my energy....... like inadequate rest or physically over doing it...... the ataxia is amplified!

Yes,also when i'm stressed,tired and other things...

Same here

Exactly the same for me.

Hi Jules, I have ataxia 24/7, but it does get worse when I'm ill, and, as others have said, when I over-do physically and am fatigued. In my opinion, this is the nature of ataxia! My best to you..., ;o)

Hi Jules!

Yes, although I'm always aware of symptoms, they do seem to kick in with a vengeance if

I feel unwell, more than usual I mean! I think I can see a pattern with whatever type I've

got, sometimes I think everything goes to pot when I start having sneezing spasms and

my teeth get sensitive. This can take a predicted course for a few weeks, then for some

reason I get on a more or less even keel again!xB

Thank You Jules & all repliers, I thought I was alone in getting very wobbly when ill!!!!!! Thank You, Thank You. I thought maybe I was crazy because when it's over & I've rested enough- I go back to my "normal" self. And I've learned to reverse this--when I get wobbly, then I know it's time for a nap.

Great question! Yes!!

Any type of thing ups the ataxia! Eating processed foods, gluten, stress, not enough sleep, a cold, you name it! I'm having a mild episode currently and find I have to sleep 10-11 hours every night to be rested. This could last weeks.

from another "Jules" :-)

YES!!! By 9 pm my body wobbles, my speech slurs and my mind gets fuzzy! I try to be home no later than 8:30. Last week I was visiting family. We went out one evening and about 8:15 I told my momma that we’d better get home before 9:00 or they would have to carry me out! She laughed, but I was being serious! When the clock strikes 9:00, I become handicapped!

Yes, ataxia increases when I have less sleep. I need minimum 8 hours sleep, if it is less than 8 hours, I get vertigo, dizziness and unbalance.

Yes. Did not realise,just had another chest infection and my shaking on right hand has come back very bad again. Also my speaking is mixed up. Thought I was doing ok but now see normal not progress as I thought.
It’s one step forward and twenty back. You do wonder what’s the point.

Hi Kimkempy!

For weeks recently I plodded along quite happily with most things on an even keel. Then last week

everything seemed to explode into action again. I'd been involved in some family stress, so one thing

led to another and I was zombiefied for days. This morning I'm not too bad considering, load of

washing on and actually sat at my laptop. I agree with you, when these episodes happen it does seem

like one step forward and twenty back - BUT if you can rest (I have to just sit still, I watch tv and mentally

switch off) whatever way suits you best, it might settle symptoms. xBeryl

KimKempy said:

Yes. Did not realise,just had another chest infection and my shaking on right hand has come back very bad again. Also my speaking is mixed up. Thought I was doing ok but now see normal not progress as I thought.
It's one step forward and twenty back. You do wonder what's the point.