Drinking?

So true!

John "JC" Colyer said:

When I was younger I did party, I was in a College Fraternity right after the movie , "Animal House" came out. Alcohol affected me bad , I couldn't hold my liquor. I know I had signs of Ataxia all my life but I didn't realize it. I retired from alcohol 11 yrs ago and any other social activity that was effecting me badly thinking I could reverse it but it still progressed. The Cerebellum is what alcohol effects to make you drunk, we get the look without the fun!

What I don't understand is. When a normal person gets smashed drunk and is falling on the floor. Nobody says to much. But me with Ataxia has two drinks, And staggers out, they ask "are you ok"? Needless to say. I stopped going out!

I'm 20 and when I drink it afects the ataxia 2... Of course since I'm not old enough to go to bars and stuff Idk if that's why it doesn't effect you the same... But when I drink at my brothers house or a friends house I can't have too much or I get to where I'm of course super dizzy.... But I feel more comfortable drinking at a house... Like mainly my brothers house cuz he knows I can't drink a lot cuz of all the medicine I take.... That's my opinion...

Courtney....

Thats what I do. I have a drink at home. This way only my family sees me and they Know! I dont get dizzy. I just can not walk.

I have found over the past couple of years drinking has really started to affect me and I am currently trying to give it up which I am finding is easier said than done.

I completely lose my balance if I have more than three or four drinks but also find different kinds of alcohol make me more or less wobbly. For example beer affects me really quickly whereas a Gin and Tonic doesn't seem to hit me so hard.

The day after a binge I feel awful and usually choose not to go out as my gait is still affected. I had a drink on Saturday night and I still don't feel quite right so I really think now is the time to stop for good.

Yea I should give up my few cocktails to. It is easier said then done. I enjoy the taste. I hate Pepsi alone but put some rum in it. Yum, yum. I just hate that I cant go out anymore to do my drinking. When I was younger and got pulled over by the Police. I could always talk my way through. But NOW! Im scared to get pulled over sober. Theres no way I could walk a straight line. The Police really do not understand Ataxia. Thats a long story in its self. Thanks for letting me vent!

Lori

Hi Stacey,

I have EA2 too, and alcohol does screw me up pretty bad, but I don't get dizzy. After a glass of beer my left side gets pretty much useless or more useless than usual. I do find that it varies. Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all. I may have to experiment with it now :o)

Hi every one sorry its been long tym since been on here I don't drink much no more I have one or two a week if that but only drink if my heads feels right and I feel right if u all no wat I mean. Xx