Emergency Callers

Having just had a fall and hit my head what do you with parteners use to get attention when you fall and have to be a contortionist to get up.Can just about get up now but sometime this year I will have to get a caller for emergencies. Rolling around on the floor doesn't do wonders for your dignity.

I feel for you :( I'm lucky in that although I do fall quite often, I still have enough motion that my hands catch me to some degree each time. The other day, all the banging on the door didn't get anyone's attention ( I fell out the back door, half in half on , onto the deck). They were all in their respective bedrooms with doors shut and tv's on. No one heard me no matter how much I banged or called out. That was about the most frustrating. I wasn't as hurt as I have been in the past, but I needed help, and no one heard me. I kept thinking, omg.. what if this had been very serious?.. Needless to say, I'm going to be on the lookout for something like the Life Alert or even just a loud whistle. Something.

I did a search and found out that there are things called automatic fall detection devices. The device detects motion or lack of motion or a fall and automatically calls someone. You don't need to push anything

Oh Marie you hit your head. I really hope your ok. I fell off a work bench and hit my head on the concert floor. Not good. You need to make sure your ok. I know its bad that we have to ask for help. But we have to. If we need something to keep us safe we have to get it.And we get to a point where we do fall. A lot! I wonder if there is a class out there, that can teach people how to fall safe? Ha, Ha.

Hi Marie -Sorry to hear of this - would wearing a whistle help?

Also, one of my OTs taught me how to fall…sounds funny, but it was helpful.

Been there
Are you ok now

Hope you dont have after effects Marie - I always wear a waiscoat with pocket for my mobile phone but havent had to use it yet - sheer determination and grit get me up.. so far!

I did attend a 'falls' clinic at the hospital but it wasnt much help - they told me to crawl to nearest chair. I find it best to sit and cry for a minute and then try.

I havent fallen since we moved to retirement apartment [dont speak to soon!!] and I this is because I can reach things to steady myself more easily.

Take care, Patsy x

Dear Marie, I hope you're ok! I recently fell backward (compliments of ataxia, of course), landed really hard on my tush, and hairline fractured my pelvis! I was so proud of myself, as I hadn't fallen for some time! Falling is definitely not my idea of a good time...,ha!. Other's ideas are great, like life alert, an automatic fall detection device (who knew?), a whistle and keeping one's cell phone handy. Learning the proper way to fall is good too (who knew again?). The best advice is not to fall...duh, which my mom told me after I fractured my pelvis...,ha! It happens so quickly. My best to you and please be extra, extra careful... ;o)

Thanks for concern.Not hurt thank goodness.It happens so quickly.One minute you're wobbling aalong then you are looking at the floor with a spaniel leaping all over you thinking you're playing an intereesting game.you look around to see if anyone has noticed your indignity then realising you are alone you have to crawl to the nearest firm object and try to get up.

Meanwhile husband is a few metres away in the garage out of earshot or even worse he's at work so you can have a good cry as Patsy says before getting up though not in a very conventional way.

Seem to get into all sorts of mischief.Am a carers nightmare.

My support dog Alfie is trained to bring me the phone so I can call someone. there are lots of pannic buttons on the market that eat less dog food!!

I am so sorry about your fall, I am glad you are ok, I fell the other day, I have SCA6 and I have a huge issue walking up steps and I started falling backwards and I grabbed on to my railing and held on for dear life and screaming for dear life and noone heard me, so I finaly got my foot and I threw my keys at my front door and someone finally came out, my legs are getting so weak, do any of you have that same problem with leg weakness and walking up steps? I am very nervous now and cannot afford a ramp or anything for that matter right now, I have filed for disability last February and still waiting for a hearing. it is very frustrating, I also have menieres disease and fibromyalgia on top of the SCA6. WHere can someone get some kind of help and possibly a medical dog?

I totally understand, my legs just give out sometimes and it is very scary!

Marie Turner said:

Thanks for concern.Not hurt thank goodness.It happens so quickly.One minute you're wobbling aalong then you are looking at the floor with a spaniel leaping all over you

thinking you're playing an intereesting game.you look around to see if anyone has noticed your indignity then realising you are alone you have to crawl to the nearest firm object and try to get up.

Meanwhile husband is a few metres away in the garage out of earshot or even worse he's at work so you can have a good cry as Patsy says before getting up though not in a very conventional way.

Seem to get into all sorts of mischief.Am a carers nightmare.

Yes, Amanda3250, my legs are weak walking upstairs. I also have weakness rising from a chair, or getting out of the car after I've been sitting. Weak and very stiff, that's how I describe it, so you're not alone! If I'm walking upstairs, I always hold onto the railing (have to anyway, as my balance is compromised) and pull myself to the next step. I've learned to be extremely careful on stairs, and I move very slowly. If you live in the USA, a company called "Allsept"may be able to help you with your disability claim. They won't charge you unless you're approved, and then they take payment from the lump sum you'll receive from your first filing date. Look them up on Google. Also Google " Dogs for the Disabled". Also, look at previous forum discussions, as I think this issue was previously addressed. Best wishes to you....;o)

Sorry Amanda3250, the company name for disability benefit help is spelled "ALLSUP".

A device worn around the neck with a button that calls paramedics, neighbor, or family member could be very useful.

http://philips.lifelinesystems.com/content/default

http://www.rescuealert.com/

Hi, sorry to hear that, i myself have suffered falls, my latest fall happened about 3 months ago,got out the chair

fell straight to the ground, could not get up as there was servere pain in the hip joint, i though dislocation, so after being on the floor for about 10 mins , i did manage to get up, There was nobody in the house at the time.So from then on, if i go anywhere in the house i take a house mobile phone with me, this way if nobody is in and have a bad fall, i can at least calll the emergency services. Or if people are in another area of the house i can use the mobile to attract attention .

That was my hard learning curve!!!

I only do stairs with a lot of help.It is a matter of adjusting.I have only recently over the last couple of weeks had trouble walking inside but I think the time has come to remember I now can't walk inside. I will have to learn to take a device with me.I have just about got enough strength to get up but I thought I would look into it now rather than a rushed decision.

Thanks everyone for sharing there experience of falls.I t doesn't make me feel alone.

Marie

I seem to have 'learned how to fall'? I seem to do it in slow motion and break the fall easily, hope I'm not tempting fate here. In the house I tend not to need a stick as I fall/lean on the walls/doors/chairs, but outside I feel very vulnerable.

I think a whistle may be required for both of us

Some months ago whilst kneeling in the bath I fell forward and head butted the bath and knocked myself out momentarily, luckily my wife Eileen was there to help me. That was quickly followed by tripping and falling in the greenhouse this summer, arm went through a pane of glass (luckily no bad cuts) and I was stuck on the floor draped around a potting table, it seemed to happen in slow motion but little I could do to prevent it, again luckily for me Eileen was nearbye and helped me up. Needless to say the greenhouse is out of bounds now, I can't play golf anymore but I still manage to go out of bounds occasionally !

Hope you're okay !

DBW

Falls are a way of life (unfortunately) for we ataxians. We always have to be very careful, as it happens so fast! As I mentioned before, I recently fell backwards, landing on my tush HARD. I hairline fractured my pelvis, which is still healing. I was so proud of myself, as I hadn't fallen for some time, until I did! I think I forget I have ataxia sometimes, and tend to move too quickly. Tough way to learn, as psychologically this fall really did a number on me. I'm SO careful now, as falling is not my idea of a good time...,ha!