End of working days

Why has it been so hard to forget how they treated me the last few years of work? I know the people that bullied me don't. I have moved and am in a much better place. I wish I could never give them another moment of my time.

I know what you mean Amy - I often have trouble getting things out of my mind, especially when I am in bed or even worse, away from home.

Reading a good book helps or something that absorbs your thinking process. Laughing helps too - I do this out loud when I am driving!

I also have hypnotherapy cd that gets me off to sleep.

Keep smiling :)

Patsy

Thanks! I don't people that are cruel even think they are. I was a teacher and I think they thought I wasnipping" at recess!

I am 70 this year Amy and havent worked for 10 years but still appreciate not feeling 'judged' by colleagues. I have eBay shop now and that gets me to post office whenever I sell something - not that it's much at the moment - I sell GALT toys - but it's something to focus on.

I had my car converted to hand controls - do you drive?

Patsy x

Dear Patsy,

I am 56 and was diagnosed with Type 2 when I was 45. I still drive. I use a cane now. My colleagues just made fun of how I walked. It was a new principal and he did not know me. I think I just became a liability. I am thankful to have moved on, but I sure felt bad then. I retired 3 years ago. Life is great now. We moved back to Colorado. I swim, volunteer and play pinnocle! Thanks for sharing. Amy

Patsy said:

I am 70 this year Amy and havent worked for 10 years but still appreciate not feeling 'judged' by colleagues. I have eBay shop now and that gets me to post office whenever I sell something - not that it's much at the moment - I sell GALT toys - but it's something to focus on.

Patsy x

Dear Patsy,

Is Ataxia known about more in the UK? In the past years when I go to an online chat, the people are always from England! I founf a friend with it here in the same town. It is nice to share happenings. Amy

Amy said:

Dear Patsy,

I am 56 and was diagnosed with Type 2 when I was 45. I still drive. I use a cane now. My colleagues just made fun of how I walked. It was a new principal and he did not know me. I think I just became a liability. I am thankful to have moved on, but I sure felt bad then. I retired 3 years ago. Life is great now. We moved back to Colorado. I swim, volunteer and play pinnocle! Thanks for sharing. Amy

Patsy said:

Patsy x

I wouldnt say that it is actually known more in the UK but just that we are a smaller nation and so it easier to form support groups. There are still many people, even medical practitioners who have never heard of it.

Thank you also for sharing.

Take care, Patsy x

Dear Patsy,

I moved back to Colorado and found a great support group. I went to a nuerologist and I knew more than he did! It i slowly coming to the forefront, slowly! My dad had it and one of my older brother has it. Where did you work? Amy

Patsy said:

I wouldnt say that it is actually known more in the UK but just that we are a smaller nation and so it easier to form support groups. There are still many people, even medical practitioners who have never heard of it.

Thank you also for sharing.

Take care, Patsy x

Hi Amy. I'm From Scotland and I'm a member of a local Ataxia group held in Glasgow. I don't have a specific diagnosis for my ataxia and is at the moment classed as Cerebellar Ataxia with an unknown cause. Like yourself I was subject of riddicule by many people for many years. I have always been a clumsy accident prone individual who just thought that clumsyness was just part of my genetic make-up. After being diagnosed with CA and no longer working I have learned to adapt to a different lifestyle and accept that I have a condition that is not going to get better. Its not easy but I remain to have a possitve attitude.

Dear Iain,

Have you ever heard of a specific area that had more cases? I had never heard of a case where someone had it his whole life until a few weeks ago. I was clumsy always, but did not exhibit signs till my late 30's.The veterinarian thinks our Jack Russel has it! He can't jump and trips a lot. We are quite a pair! Amy

Stevenson said:

Hi Amy. I'm From Scotland and I'm a member of a local Ataxia group held in Glasgow. I don't have a specific diagnosis for my ataxia and is at the moment classed as Cerebellar Ataxia with an unknown cause. Like yourself I was subject of riddicule by many people for many years. I have always been a clumsy accident prone individual who just thought that clumsyness was just part of my genetic make-up. After being diagnosed with CA and no longer working I have learned to adapt to a different lifestyle and accept that I have a condition that is not going to get better. Its not easy but I remain to have a possitve attitude.

I worked in the City of London as secretary to Director in an Insurance Firm. I took voluntary redundancy to run a Pub with my new partner [now my husband]. That lasted a year with me doing the cooking then we tried different business.. long story.. but I gave up work at 60.

Neurologist said I probably had it from birth but it is late onset with no known cause.

Patsy x

Dear Patsy,

Sounds like an interesting life! I know we were all born with the genes or repeat of genes, but to exhibit signs as a child is new to me. My dad didn't show signs until his 50's. My kids can be tested at any time. My older son is clear and my younger son is being tested in a week. Hope he ddoes not have it and then it dies out! Amy

Patsy said:

I worked in the City of London as secretary to Director in an Insurance Firm. I took voluntary redundancy to run a Pub with my new partner [now my husband]. That lasted a year with me doing the cooking then we tried different business.. long story.. but I gave up work at 60.

Neurologist said I probably had it from birth but it is late onset with no known cause.

Patsy x

Sorry, I'm unable to answer your question regarding specific areas that have more cases. What I do know (or believe) is that ataxia is quite a common condition in dogs.

I'm unsure when exactly my ataxia began but I started to notice significant changes in my balance about three or four years ago. At the moment I am seeing a Neuropsychologist and mabe she will be able to give me more insight as to how long I have had ataxia?

Amy said:

Dear Iain,

Have you ever heard of a specific area that had more cases? I had never heard of a case where someone had it his whole life until a few weeks ago. I was clumsy always, but did not exhibit signs till my late 30's.The veterinarian thinks our Jack Russel has it! He can't jump and trips a lot. We are quite a pair! Amy

Stevenson said:

Dear Iain,

Mine is hereditary. My son that is being tested has a doctor that discovered our type. He told my son that if you father passes it on it can be worse. My brother and I showed signs 20 years earlier than he did. So I assume that there are ataxia cases not hereditary. I know how I got mine, but how did you get yours? Amy
Iain Stevenson said:

Sorry, I'm unable to answer your question regarding specific areas that have more cases. What I do know (or believe) is that ataxia is quite a common condition in dogs.

I'm unsure when exactly my ataxia began but I started to notice significant changes in my balance about three or four years ago. At the moment I am seeing a Neuropsychologist and mabe she will be able to give me more insight as to how long I have had ataxia?

Amy said:

Dear Iain,

Stevenson said:

I have absolutely no idea as to how I aquired CA. There has been no cases noted of the condition in my extended family.

Dear Iain,

I really think we learn more from fellow ataxians. They misdiagnosed my dad and gave him Parkinson meds. When he was sick in the end they stopped. He lost all his hair in a week and it grew back in a week after stopping the meds. I take Co-Q-10 for my charlie horses and it really works. I am so tired at night from simply living and exercising! Will let you know what my youngest son learns when they test him next week.Amy

None recorded in my family but can think of some who exhibited symptoms.

What's charlie horses?

Patsy

Patsy,

Charlie horses are knee and ankle aches. I think I use my body wrong all day and it is just tired! I had them as a kid too. So if you don't have hereditary ataxia, do you know where it comes from? See, my fellow ataxians have already taught me something! Amy

lol.. but why charlie horses? I am learning too.

Ataxia can be caused by viral infection, many other neuro conditions, stroke etc or just no known cause.

Dear Patsy,

I don't know why they are called that. My mom used it. Wierd term, I guess. I am learning all kinds of things about ataxia.

Just walked one of my dogs. I can't control my speed! I can't slow down. Amy