Falling

Tessa,

I can’t imagine raising a baby with this condition. My youngest is in high school, and that is tough enough!

After several falls, I went to a physical therapist. I remember her saying that I need to stay safe, I didn’t want to rehab from a broken bone or badly hurt joint with this condition. Canes didn’t help me. That’s when I got a walker. It has brakes and a seat. I grab it when I stand up from a bed or a chair. I use it outside when I go places but not inside the house, where I know what to grab onto and will fall onto a wood floor or carpeting instead of concrete.

Let me summarize and add suggestions. Excuse me, you don’t say how much money you have, or if you live in a house you can modify versus an apartment. Forgive me if my suggestions are inappropriate.

Make sure you have a non-stick surface in the shower. There are 3 options I know of for the shower.

1. Safety bars that are screwed in. The problem is that you need someone to drill holes through the tile.
  2. Safety bars that are held in place with suction cups. They are less permanent. The downside is that they can come loose anytime.
  3. Shower seat. I haven’t gone this route yet. It is probably useful to change the showerhead to one with a cord. It’s easy to do.

You probably want a safety bar outside the shower, so you can get out of the tub safely. You also want a safety bar near the toilet to help in getting up. If your bathroom doesn’t allow putting safety bars in the wall, you can get portable safety bars. In fact, I put safety bars throughout the house.

I like the idea of using a stroller. Get a sturdy one. I use a shopping cart at grocery stores, and a stroller would serve the same purpose. Do they come with hand brakes?

My wife gets flare-ups of arthritis, and it hurts to carry anything. My daughter has suggested using a rolling cart to carry food to the table. We are thinking of replacing the porcelain dishes with plastic ones.

You mentioned having trouble with your doctor and want a new one. Go to www.ataxia.org and contact your local support group. Maybe members have suggestions based on whom they use.

Matt

Good ideas Matt.It sums up all my needs. I thought it was just me.I am choosing non slip tiles on the floor.

We are doing a wet room with these things in mind.