Finally happened

I am so happy to hear that your wife is making progress! I remember well the fear and pain in PT…it will get easier! When PT first told me she wanted me to take 4 steps, I said, “are you kidding me??” She wasn’t, and I did it…very slowly…Persistence is key! Please tell your wife to keep up the good work…for me.
God Bless

I, too, am happy for Dick's wife. I, personally,have mixed feelings about pt,s and their abilities to change anything. I think it's sheer will on the CA sufferer and the p.t 's unique knowledge. But others swear by them. I do think our "solution" will come from medication and maybe stem cells. Anyway, this is Dicks wife's moment and hopefully her PT will help her to some degree. Hat's off to both of Dick and his wife--he for caring; she for trying.

neta said:

I, too, am happy for Dick's wife. I, personally,have mixed feelings about pt,s and their abilities to change anything. I think it's sheer will on the CA sufferer and the p.t 's unique knowledge. But others swear by them. I do think our "solution" will come from medication and maybe stem cells. Anyway, this is Dicks wife's moment and hopefully her PT will help her to some degree. Hat's off to both of Dick and his wife--he for caring; she for trying.

Thank you Neta. Means alot.

Mommaroo said:

I am so happy to hear that your wife is making progress! I remember well the fear and pain in PT.....it will get easier! When PT first told me she wanted me to take 4 steps, I said, "are you kidding me??" She wasn't, and I did it.....very slowly.....Persistence is key! Please tell your wife to keep up the good work...for me.
God Bless
My wife said "are you crazy" when asked to take a step.

So sorry to hear this. My grandmother broke hers before I was 3. When my mom fell she only broke her lower leg. It was slow to heal but it did finally heal. She was already using wheelchair and walker. Wishing your wife the best.

My wife is still in Rehab but she is also making some progress. She has been taking steps, even putting full weight on the broken hip and femur side. I'd say she is 60% back to where she was prior to the fall. The nursing staff and the doctor all noticed some tremor like activity with her head and hands. The doctor made an appointment with a neurologist that specializes in movement disorders. My sons and I have also noticed this but we've seen it in the past, especially when she is tired.
I do have one question for you all. My wife has what we refer to as "the death grip". If she tries to eat a sandwich, she squeezes it so hard it falls apart. I have more bruises from her grabbing my wrists when helping her up or down in a chair. Is this common with ataxia or am I looking at yet another problem. The grip thing is not new, just getting progressively worse.
Dick

Dick, would you open a new discussion thread for this question? I don't want it to get lost. I am glad your wife is making progress,