Handwriting solution?

So I have problems with handwriting, fill in a form, label post envelope...

I thing that a solution may be a gadget which look like a stamp but has small keyboard on itself and small display. You write a word, on it press a button and you could stamp a word on paper.

The device should be small (to hand-palm) and quick.

Do you see something like that?

Well you've got me thinking!But it takes me so long to 'text' on a mobile phone as my finger has it's own mind..lol

Maybe they could attach a 'printer' to our phones ??Yes unfortunately,Ataxia has robbed us of such an important tool of communication that we simply took for granted..Remember 'Love Letters ?Even those who can write have forgotten the power and beauty of hand-writing..

Thank-you,Jan..Ozzy

My writing is so poor these days
But that upset me most about my condition
If only I could still write

I use Dragon naturally speaking voice software. I'm doing so now. I use it offend. You train it to recognize your speech and it recognizes mine fine. You can also use it to control your computer to do whatever you want it to do by using commands. Him

thanx especially to you Ozzy, the app in your phone and mechanical stamp connected with phone via bluetooth is a great idea.

So has anyone seen similar solution?

Hi there, you all have me thinking as well. Our daughter's handwriting is awful, even when she doesn't have the tremors. She uses an assistive technology device to communicate. I have Dragon Naturally Speaking on my computer. So I looked, and they DO HAVE AN APP for your smartphone, Voice to Text, here is the link:

http://www.dragonmobileapps.com/

For our situation, that doesn't work since her speech is so minimal. But she can type most anything using her device. So now the printing is the issue. You can of course, use the blue tooth in your phone, with a blue tooth printer, but it is not very portable. Even those portable printers, are not very portable, they weigh a couple of pounds. I used to have one for my business travel, and my briefcase weighed a ton. I am contacting my assistive technology team today, to see if they can recommend anything else. I will be sure to post when I hear back from them. This is a great point, and I thank you for bringing it up.

Susan (Hailee's Mom)

My handwriting is a problem too. I was given Theraputty by an OT to strengthen the muscles in my hands. I think it helps. As far as the gadget you mentioned, I have never seen one. I was told handwriting is use it or lose it and that I should practice writing, not avoid it. I wear magnifiers for forms but since my printing is large forms are never big enough! My cursive writing is illegible, so I print.

I too use Dragon Voice Recognition for large documents. I text a lot too. My Smartphone (Android) has mic so I can also speak my text. Compared to a 10 year old I am slow at typing a text but it gets there!

I’ve taken to printing in block letters…sometimes even that is illegible…I don’t know if it’s ataxia, nystagmus, or both…on rare occasions, I can actually sign my name!

My partner is the same he was recently diagnosed with progressive cerebella ataxia but every thing is going speech walking it is hard

Good idea, Jan! I've tried to think of something that would work for us. You need to make a prototype, patent it, and make your $millions!

When filling out important papers it may be helpful to get assistance if possible and then just give a signature. Less mistakes and excuses of something was illegible.

I did some research and I found on internet small printers connected with cell phone but everything I found has a paper in it so I don't understand why isn't it for our use? Small printer that prints what you want on paper where you want.

Hi Jan;

I am still waiting to speak with the AAC people, but I found this one that fits in your pocket, and costs less then $200. It got good reviews from PC Magazine, and it is made by Polaroid.

Here's the link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2316824,00.asp

This one is even better, on EBAY: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/portable-bluetooth-printer

Jan said:

I did some research and I found on internet small printers connected with cell phone but everything I found has a paper in it so I don't understand why isn't it for our use? Small printer that prints what you want on paper where you want.

I use an ergonomic ring pen it takes some getting use to but takes strain off muscles which causes my tremor

Thank you, Sarah…I have just ordered one of these pens from Amazon. I never knew pens like these existed. I can’t wait to try writing with it!

I hope it works for you everything is trial and error. People are so different but I do hope it help you x

Mommaroo said:

Thank you, Sarah.....I have just ordered one of these pens from Amazon. I never knew pens like these existed. I can't wait to try writing with it!

I dont sign anything, just initials. Also OT encouraged me to write ten minutes per day and to roll up newspaper, using one hand