I have a question about the COVID vaccine

Sine my mRNA is messed up. I have genetic ataxia SCA2. The vaccine uses mRNA as a delivery method. How will the vaccine effect me and will it be affective?

1 Like

No one really knows much so a positive answer isnā€™t in the cards. The way I look at it is it appears to be much worse having the virus.

:slightly_smiling_face: AtaxiaUK are going to post advice shortly.
People may find this info helpful.

2 Likes

The answer

And I couldnā€™t agree more. We donā€™t know. Under ā€˜normalā€™ circumstances a new vaccine takes years to develop and then years to test, to find ā€˜safety parametersā€™ and contradictions, then be placed into production and then be made publicly available. Often this whole process can take 10+years Yet here we are with a vaccine after 12-18months. All of the production has occurred and it is becoming available. So which process has been shortened ? The ā€˜safety parametersā€™ and contradictionsā€™ part.

For some people there are going to be negatives. What are they? Nobody knows.
People with other conditions are always more at risk, due to comorbidities or other contributing factors. But presently, nobody really knows. There are a few differing vaccines under development but nobodyā€™s really sure what the full list of ā€˜safety parametersā€™ and contradictionsā€™ are of any of them. There has been a couple of trials around the world that have shown negative outcomes in the short trial period theyā€™ve already had. Those trials have already been ceased. But nobody has any idea of the longevity of the vaccineā€™s protection, nor itā€™s impact. So how you, me or any other individual reacts to a particular vaccine is going to be very individual.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

I canā€™t tell you how the vaccine will affect you, or whether in general it will be effective. However I can assure you that the fact it is an mRNA vaccine isnā€™t an issue for people with genetic conditions. As the comic strip above describes, the mRNA mentioned is the mRNA of the virus. The vaccine still works in the usual way - by provoking an immune response- not by interacting with human mRNA or DNA.
Unless you have a history of severe allergic reactions (epipen level), or in one of the other groups where itā€™s not recommended (eg pregnant women), then you will want to be weighing up the risk of feeling a bit under the weather for a day or two (ma standard vaccine response showing your immune system is working) with the risks of serious respiratory disease, long covid, or death.
When I can, Iā€™ll be getting the vaccine.

2 Likes

thank you this was helpful

Thank you all who answered this question. I have SCA 1 and have tried very hard to research an answer re the vaccine to no avail. Also, my problem is that back in March I was quite ill with a sore throat, temp, dizzyness slight cough, etc, and wonder if I did, in fact, have the virus. A friend had the same thing at the same time. Now Iā€™m so unsure whether to get the vaccine. Who knows! And Iā€™m a nurse!!
Adnyl

This is my understanding. You may have had covid-19 prior and you probably now have antibodies in your body but nobody knows how long those antibodies will last. However everyone should get the vaccine because if there is going to be any sort of herd immunity that is exactly what must be done.

To my understanding, antibodies in the system lasts only for 90 days.

I heard something similar.

FYI, got my vaccine shot today. Appointment for 2 13 for second booster shot. Pfizer.

1 Like

Antibodies can actually last significantly longer than 90 days. So why is that the number being used? The CDC and WHO canā€™t guarantee that they do. Thereā€™s simply not enough information. Anecdotally, I know some people who were sick in the spring and still have antibodies.

Sharon from ModSupport.

That may be very true Sharon about antibodies from recovering from the virus lasting longer but all I know is that antibodies from the vaccine do last and that works for me. Iā€™ll do whatever because I am sick of being sick and not from the virus.

Wow Chas, that was fast! Lucky you! Personally, I donā€™t care whether I get the Pfizer or the Moderna vax: I just want it, and thereā€™s no sign of that show coming to our neck of the woods anytime soon.

As for ā€œhow longā€ and ā€œherd immunityā€ and antibodies, I donā€™t think anybody really knows for sure. Itā€™s frustrating, and I know a lot of people who are being driven nuts by the uncertainty and what appears to be experts constantly changing their minds. But every day brings new experiences and more data for the number crunchers, and new understandings for all of us. Itā€™s an interesting time, thatā€™s for sure. Isnā€™t there a Chinese curse about interesting times? :wink:

Seenie

I looked at it this way. My best friend died from COVID-19 recently. He had NO underlying conditions but he literally suffered in the hospital. His heart finally just gave out from the virus. As for me, I would rather gamble on the vaccine because it just might be the answer. Seems like the only way to go.

Seenie,

I was very lucky to get the vaccine. I should play the lottery. President Biden just signed something about COVID-19 and the vaccine that should help you out. I have to think thatā€™s what I heard. He just rejoined WHO.
.Biden rejoins World Health Organization: What it means for US, COVID

:thinking: We are living in interesting times, and generally speaking, more people seem to be speaking out these days and questioning factsā€¦The thing that Iā€™m most irritated by is ā€¦ people who keep asking when thereā€™ll be a return to normal, when will this be over. Obviously this must be at the forefront of everyones mind, but if only it wasnā€™t constantly publicised :woozy_face:

I googled the Chinese curse re interesting timesā€¦the results were interesting :wink:

I donā€™t think there will ever be a return to "normal " life.
This virus will be around all the time, like the flu virus. I think we will probably need annual jabs as it changes its course. Unless they come up with a super vaccine that will prevent any mutation. I canā€™t wait to get my jab, whenever that will be. Jan

1 Like

My feeling exactly, Chas. Iā€™ll take my chances with the vax. When I said that to my rheumatologist, she agreed, and (despite the fact that our government advice is for people with immunocompromises to wait for more data) she will give me a permission letter to make sure I can get it when my turn comes.

So sorry about your friendā€™s passing. So many people recover, but the ones who donā€™t suffer terribly (and use up valuable ICU space) and if they survive, are often left with damage. Iā€™ll take the vaccine!

S

LOL I will too then, Beryl.

A few minutes later:
What an interesting google! It seems the origins are more British than Chinese. But thatā€™s OK: itā€™s still a good expression.

@banana said:

I donā€™t think there will ever be a return to "normal " life.

Iā€™m inclined to agree. Major world events shape our lives and the world around us. Iā€™m sure people during any of the world wars said the same. I guess this is just a war of a different kind.

S

From what I keep hearing, even though someone recovers from the virus, they might keep experiencing long term effects.

1 Like

Yes, what Iā€™m hearing is the same. And some of the aftereffects are terrible.

Hang in there, Chas!

C

1 Like