I have a question

I’ve noticed over the years when I go to bed and the temperature goes down to 50F that my feet get cold and I’m forced to wear socks to keep them warm or else I wake up uncomfortable. Just wondering this is another Ataxia gift?! :grimacing:

1 Like

:joy: I’m proactive and anticipate this even in summer, I wear bed socks almost continually. Otherwise icy feet prevent me from relaxing, and I just can’t drop off to sleep. Last night I had a hot water bottle on my feet, it took ages to thaw them out. Despite having to do this, I still need to have the room ventilated…

Nerve Damage / Peripheral Neuropathy

People with peripheral neuropathy often have problems sensing temperature in their extremities, and may experience cold hands and feet as a result. Nerve damage caused by peripheral neuropathy may be treated using medications and physical therapy.

2 Likes

Hmmm! That was a very interesting post. I have a doctor’s appointment with my primary tomorrow. Think I will bring it up.

2 Likes

very useful reply from @Beryl_Park…it applies to me too so thanks Beryl x

1 Like

Please see your doctor always in the first instance. Dr Google always finds worst possible diagnosis. This keeps you on the website longer and they earn more advertising dollars. 95% of internet traffic is Google advertising unfortunately :frowning:

:slightly_smiling_face: Thankyou. We are advised not to assume every symptom is linked to ataxia.

What is peripheral neuropathy?

Peripheral neuropathy refers to the many conditions that involve damage to the peripheral nervous system, the vast communication network that sends signals between the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord) and all other parts of the body. Peripheral nerves send many types of sensory information to the central nervous system (CNS), such as a message that the feet are cold. They also carry signals from the CNS to the rest of the body. Best known are the signals to the muscles that tell them to contract, which is how we move, but there are different types of signals that help control everything from our heart and blood vessels, digestion, urination, sexual function, to our bones and immune system. The peripheral nerves are like the cables that connect the different parts of a computer or connect the Internet. When they malfunction, complex functions can grind to a halt.
Copied from www.ninds.nih.gov

chas521, any ataxia sufferer has circulatory problem resulting from too much inflexible veins which shrink or open too much causing overheating.it more or less shows MORE IN WOMEN esp. before their monthly cycke.You don’thave that problem ha ha ha, consider yourself LUCKY.keep wearing socks in bed, I cld tell you about kinkier habits then wearing socks…Seriously now, exercise core of your body just before you go to bed, I do.I am NOT SAYING THAT IS A CURE for your cold feet, but it helps. Get your blood pumping around your body. REMEMBER THE ROOM WHEREVER YOU FIND MOST COMFY TO SLEEP SUPPOSED TO BE with lower temperature, 50F I presume is NOT 0 CENTIGRADES, I DON’T DO FARENHEITS FAR TOO EUROPEAN FOR THAT.It has to be cooler and comfy than hot.

Eric is spot ON! if a disability, requirement of a MRI SCAN plus a genetic test to confirm a diagnosis.re any form type of ataxia, scan detects any changes, a genetic test confirms a precise type.

any concern needed to be addressed by a gp. for a peace of mind if FOR NOTHING ELSE.

I suffer with cold feet a lot of the time, once they are warm they stay warm. The same applies for when they are cold. I don’t know if it is neural neuropathy or just a symptom of ataxia that we all suffer from. I’ll investigate…

I do that, but so does my partner, who’s not ataxic :woman_shrugging:

I found a trick years ago that helped me realize the extent of my peripheral neuropathy. Get one of those baby bath thermometers-like a floating toy to read the temperature. Put the water to your ideal temperature, measure it with the thermometer, and see if that’s normal.

1 Like

I also get cold feet. Not cold hands so much - just cold feet.

1 Like

:see_no_evil: Cold feet :grimacing: This invariably produces a knock-on effect for me, it can cause me to have what feels like a urinary infection, probably all part and parcel of the effect on my nervous system.
Something that bothers me as well, a numbness/tingling/very cold sensation around my nose :no_mouth:

In addition to Ataxia, I also have C.R.E.S.T. Syndrome. The R stands for Raynaud Syndrome, which causes cold hands and feet. Lucky me!

A friend (ataxian) also has Raynauds Syndrome, I’ve seen her purple feet :smirk: