I wrote to Brain and Life magazine

Hi,
First of all, as a subscriber, I find that Brain and Life magazine is a wonderful source of information. But I do have a bone to pick with you. Although a very rare illness, Spino Cerebellar Ataxia [Atrophy] is a movement illness that affects your balance, coordination, eyes, and hearing which are the major symptoms. Some patients with Ataxia suffer other symptoms as well. There is the symptom of ataxia [notice the small a] experienced by others with various movement disorders but SCA [the illness] is with a capital A. You wrote an article on ataxia some years ago but nothing since. Not even a mention. After reading your magazine, I feel like someone with an orphan disease since your articles only mention MS and Parkinsons as movement disorders. You used to include Ataxia [National Ataxia Foundation] in your resource section at the end of your magazine but for some reason you deleted it. Please include the following:

Mailing Address
PO Box 27986
Golden Valley, MN 55427

Physical Address
600 Highway 169
SouthSuite 1725
Minneapolis, MN 55426

4 Likes

Nice work. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

:thinking:I wonder if…because the types of ataxia are so varied, this has something to do with lack of mention…

6,844 hits for Ataxia

https://www.malacards.org/search/results?query=Ataxia&pageSize=25

I don’t see why it should Beryl. BTW, did you notice the capital A with all the Ataxia illnesses? They don’t mention Ataxia at all.

:thinking:I did find this….and other references to different types of ataxia

We also appreciate the many suggestions for topics to cover. We have gotten many requests for stories about peripheral neuropathy and have been trying to bring you the latest information about this condition as it becomes available.

We have also gotten requests for stories about a neurological symptom-complex called ataxia, which includes a wide-based and unsteady gait, balance problems, and shaking, especially when the person is reaching for something. Ataxia is usually caused by problems with the back part of the brain called the cerebellum. We are planning on doing a story about the neurological diseases that can cause ataxia, and what can be done to treat them, so stay tuned.

I’m in Australia and never hear about Cerebellar Ataxia. It’s always MS, Parkinson’s. I mention CA to people and they have no idea what I’m talking about except those in the medical field.

1 Like

Hi🙂 I’m a member of various Ataxia Support Groups…on Facebook, and see regular posts from people living in Australia.

That’s another “symptom” of Ataxia. The fact that it’s unknown to the general public. Hence my opening post here.

Thank you for doing this. I to find they do not mention Ataxia.

1 Like