If SSI includes my husband's income in my eligibility determination, will they also consider our debt?

Upon review of discussions, I am seeing that SSI looks at your spouses income when determining how much you will receive. Do they, also then, take into consideration your debt-to-income ratio? We have 2 car loans (I would want to see if someone would be willing to assume mine), a home loan, A LOT of credit card debt AND I have school loans ($35,000 worth) getting ready to kick in by June. I really want to be able to file for my short-term disability policy, but I don't want to make my husband and I credit poor. We can handle our debts as long as I am working. I don't think either of us can file for bankruptcy on the credit card debt due to the position we were in with our first marriage (his ended 2001 and mine 2003). I'm afraid to continue working due to the fact that my position requires a lot of driving, daily. I see trails if I'm looking for a business address and driving faster than 25/35 MPH. And, when I tried to take Diamox, I felt as if I were driving drunk. My sister (who has SCA & is already on SSI) says that ALL the meds she has been given to ease the symptom cause drowsiness and say to be careful when operating machinery.

It's not easy is it.I married for the third time.It does make you worried about giving up work.The they are probably just clerical officers and should not be making such decisions..It should be a Medical professional who has heard of ataxia and knows how it affects us.In England we have three types of benefit DLA which is for DisbabilitymESA income and ESA Contribution based.Many people at the main office don't seem to know the difference so how are we expected to understand! I drive to the village at 25mph but no further.I don;t feel safe now even if I probably am.

Good luck with your decisions.

Marie

Thanks Marie! Are you on disability yet? If so, did they go by your husband's income? Do you know if they consider your debts when deciding how much income you should receive?

Marie Turner said:

It's not easy is it.I married for the third time.It does make you worried about giving up work.The they are probably just clerical officers and should not be making such decisions..It should be a Medical professional who has heard of ataxia and knows how it affects us.In England we have three types of benefit DLA which is for DisbabilitymESA income and ESA Contribution based.Many people at the main office don't seem to know the difference so how are we expected to understand! I drive to the village at 25mph but no further.I don;t feel safe now even if I probably am.

Good luck with your decisions.

Marie

Luckilily my husband is self employed and we are on tax credit .I do get dla and ESA but that is based on the fact tat i worked for over 20 ears.Our accountant deals with it all now.

MARIE

Good luck! I was not able to receive SSI. With my husbands income they said we make too much money, even though we can no longer count mine and the fact that we have two children. We also have student loans, etc. I don't believe they will consider debt-to-income ratio though, as I tried and went through the process. I also called a couple of attorneys and they told me they couldn't help me. If you find out differently please let me know!