I'm cold most of the time!

I have Raynaud’s (a kind of circulation prob). For years I have just dealt with it, and now I am kinda fed up! It is 80 outside and Ian on my couch in sweats, 2 shirts, a hat, and under my electric blanket on high. This is ridiculous! Does anyone have any temperature regulation tricks?

I get very cold when it is warm. When I am cold, that makes me start to shake. I bundle up also, but my husband thinks I am crazy when this happens. I have found nothing to stop this very annoying problem.

Hi, Liz, we have a lot of members with Raynaud's on the Erythromelalgia and Lupus groups. Feel free to join EM or Lupus if you would like to read tips about Raynaud's there.

Hi - I haven’t been diagnosed with Raynaud’s, but I need to throw on a blanket when most are fine/not cold.

What seems to help me is to wear socks throughout the day, wear a hat at night (usually only just during the winter months), drink something warm like hot tea, and/or adding a dash of cayenne pepper to my water. This seems to help my circulatory system as well as some bridging, down-ward dog, or movement of any kind really.

My late husband had Raynaud's. His fingers turned white frequently and his hands felt extremely cold. The only thing that made him feel a bit more comfortable until the "attack" passed, was using Hand Warmers inside mittens when it was possible. He really had no trick for dealing with overall cold. Wearing layers of clothing when everyone else was taking them off was all he could do.

I can appreciate what you are going through from living with one person who had Raynaud's. Not only is it uncomfortable, but also embarrassing. Good luck in finding some solutions so you can feel better.

The trick that works the best for me is the little disposable hand and foot warmers that skiers use in their gloves and boots. I started using them years ago when my oldest son played baseball. In Texas they start the season in February! It is not as cold here that time of year as other places, but when you have Raynaud’s, even mildly cool can be unbearable. The warmers are good for up to 8 hours, and always did the trick for me. I keep a supply in my house and car, because I never know when I will get a flare up. You can get them at any sporting goods store.

The hand warmers can just be held. They don’t have to be inside gloves to be helpful. I used to put them in my pockets and hold them. The direct skin contact produces the most heat.
The foot warmers can just be inserted in your shoes. Better not to put them in your socks if you are wearing shoes as they can get too warm. If you are at home and are not wearing shoes, you can put them in your socks. I think it was the layers of socks and shoes that made them really a little too hot. You may need to experiment to find the most helpful spot.

That is a smart idea, RRose. :)

How is Reynauds part of the CA? My brother has very mild Reynauds in his hands. My friend has severe Reynaud's to the point of frostbite. She avoids air conditioned rooms and stores.

Hi Liz,

i ve also got the problem, in a more or less extended way, since many years.

It has been useful to use even more layers and try out more different materials, also in their combinaton. Fleece sheets and lamb wool have been helpful. Furthermore applying the heat not only under your feet but also on other parts of your body, as a hot hot-water-bottle. Also an infrared lamp provides help to me. i have - in bad times- go to bed, with all my layers of clothes,with numerable sheets, and then stay there as long as it takes me to become really warmed up. Hot tea, as recommended by Glitter_on_Butterflies, is always helpful, but then i need a patients-toilet-chair nearby my bed. When it is cold and i am feeling this, it could be that i would become somehow stiff in my body, which is hindering my actions. So i try to learn from my mistakes and have some hot tea stored ready for use.

Functional sport underwear is helpful,see http://www.sanatural.co.za/bio-strath/ Actually i am wearing such an undershirt together with a t-shirt and a lambswool-jacket; my feet are in warm sockets and in pants with an extra warm insert. Nevertheless my lower legs are cold.

For me there seems to be a connection between ataxia and temperature regulation problems, but this is my personal view actually,not ready for scientific justification.

I have had similar problems, only with "energies", almost twenty years ago, lasting for a few years, but also was successful with managing the symptoms by practical ads, like matresses and sheets. The symptoms of yesterday have disappeared, new have emerged. Supposedly caused by one and the same underlying condition..

Akita

Liz,

I have Reynaud's as well. I bought some electric slippers that I wear around the house. Volt is the brand name. Really awesome. I got a second set of batteries so I can go 8-9 hours with warm feet. Not very pretty, but they do a GREAT job. http://voltheat.com/product/volt-indooroutdoor-heated-slippers/ ;

You can buy them on amazon too.

For my hands, it's important to be extra cautious to not let them get cold. I am careful to use a fabric sleeve (etsy.com) on cold beverages and don't run cold water on my hands ever. I also have silk glove liners to wear inside if I need them. Or inside of my heavy winter gloves outside. I always use a hot pad(oven mit) when taking food out of the freezer.

I've found the more I move around and exercise the warmer my hands and feet are. In a worse case scenario for my hands freezing, I swing my arms around (like a windmill) to force the blood to my finger tips. It hurts my shoulders, but works to warm my fingers.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Hi there.

I attended a mind body and soul workshop today and met a lovely lady selling bracelets ect for magnet therapy. You buy them in different strengths for different symptoms. I have heard of people and animals having great results from using magnets for circulation. When I have dug through my handbag and found the right leaflet I will send add her web addy. It's got to be worth a look on google.

I have freezing cold feet. Socks all year round, but even cold in them. I microwave a wheaty bag to go to bed, and sometimes an evening tot of Baileys opens up the valves too. I find exercise helps especially interval training with craig ballantyne online. All depends on your ability of course. I tend to adapt it to wheat I can do.

That's all I can offer for now. Hope it helps a little. Good luck with it all. Jenny

Thanks! I was cleaning freezer today so ur tip came in handy! LITERALLY! LOL

Julie in Colorado said:

Liz,

I have Reynaud's as well. I bought some electric slippers that I wear around the house. Volt is the brand name. Really awesome. I got a second set of batteries so I can go 8-9 hours with warm feet. Not very pretty, but they do a GREAT job. http://voltheat.com/product/volt-indooroutdoor-heated-slippers/ ;

You can buy them on amazon too.

For my hands, it's important to be extra cautious to not let them get cold. I am careful to use a fabric sleeve (etsy.com) on cold beverages and don't run cold water on my hands ever. I also have silk glove liners to wear inside if I need them. Or inside of my heavy winter gloves outside. I always use a hot pad(oven mit) when taking food out of the freezer.

I've found the more I move around and exercise the warmer my hands and feet are. In a worse case scenario for my hands freezing, I swing my arms around (like a windmill) to force the blood to my finger tips. It hurts my shoulders, but works to warm my fingers.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Thank all of you, I very much appreciate!!!