Informing DVLA of ataxia

I waa diagnosed with sca 3 in 2007. I currently still work full time and drive everyday. Driving is not a problem and has been totally unafected apart from being more cautitious than I used to be. Is informing the dvla a must or would I be opening a can of worms?

Hi Martin,

In the UK you are legally obliged to inform the DVLA if you have been diagnosed with Ataxia.

It doesn't necessarily preclude you from driving but obviously people have mixed feelings

about disclosing it. They don't tell you to stop driving while they make enquiries with your

Neurologist.

Beryl Park said:

Hi Martin,

In the UK you are legally obliged to inform the DVLA if you have been diagnosed with Ataxia.

It doesn't necessarily preclude you from driving but obviously people have mixed feelings

about disclosing it. They don't tell you to stop driving while they make enquiries with your

Neurologist.

Thanks Beryl, I know it's something that I should have done earlier but I've been scared by any possible outcome ie big insruance premium hikes or a ban from driving. But I know that if I were involved in an accident, even if it wasn't my fault then things could become very tricy for me.