Driving License

Hi

Can anyone tell me if ataxia affects driving or affects holding a driving licence?

yes .. you are required to notify DVLA and Insurers .. they will tell you if they want you to be assessed.

Patsy

I have been asked by police if I should be driving. Like my doctor knows and I told the police. I am fine when I sit. You just have to be more careful and alert. What some other driver lack. My insurance company knows Im on disability. But they assume I can drive. and I can . It all depends on the driver. As of now I can drive.

The dvla want to take my present licence away and replace it with a short term one for 3 years. Should I fight this? I have been assessed by my doctor and he told me there is no reason why I should not be driving, my ataxia is very mild and I have lived with it all my life but diagnosed in 2004.

I think I should appeal against the dvla decision, has anyone gone through this, any advice welcome.

Thanks

I chose to give up mine, as even with hand controls I was struggling as then only using one arm for steering wheel (cos the other was controlling brake/accelerator) it made my arm shake even with special ball attachment so was resting whole arm across steering wheel, I found it exhausting, especially turning. I was always worried I would accelerate when I meant to brake as I got so tired.

I could have been assessed for more advanced controls but then was talking abut vehicles costing like £24,000 and them wanting £10,000 up front, as I had no idea how long I would be able to drive for I didn’t want to be paying all that back for rest of my life if ended up only driving another 6-12months, and didn’t want to risk knocking anyone over or killing a child/dogf if I couldn’t react quick enough if one ran in front of the car.

It left me mostly housebound been stuck out in a village where a taxi into town is really expensive and 15 min ride on mobility scooter to get to nearest accesible cash machine to get money for a taxi! .but I’d rather that than having to live with the memory that I’d killed someone (even accidently) , so you have to decide whether you could live with the consequences, if you chose to continue driving?

if you know you can drive. And your doctor says its ok. Yes you should appeal it!

ourhouse said:

The dvla want to take my present licence away and replace it with a short term one for 3 years. Should I fight this? I have been assessed by my doctor and he told me there is no reason why I should not be driving, my ataxia is very mild and I have lived with it all my life but diagnosed in 2004.

I think I should appeal against the dvla decision, has anyone gone through this, any advice welcome.

Thanks

I cant see what the problem is with short term licence - surely they only want to know if your condition as progressed.

Patsy