Is ataxia simply a mental illness or brain disease?

Agree Lori, I use the word disorder because that is what it is, a brain disorder. The brain that is associated with ataxia is not the normal size so how can that be a mental illness. Disease is something you catch, that is why it's called disease. One final point, the reason older people fall a lot is because their brain that controls the balance is shrinking. Your brain normally shrinks as you get older. Ours just started had an early age. My Dad had ataxia and he acquired it at the same age that I did, in the early 5os. That didn't stop him from making smart decisions.

Lori said:

Sorry But I do not like to think I have a Mental illness. I may be sad but I wont allow myself to go into a depression. I would say it is a Brain disorder. I'm sorry I just don't like the word Disease. To me that's like Herpes, aids, rashes, fungus, shingles, Ect. Those to me are diseases. Ataxia is a Neurological Disorder. A disability. Just my opinion!

I find it hard to explain my condition to others. I say it is neurological and only explain further to those who are interested and I trust. I think of it is a disorder not a disease. I believe it is usually genetic in origin butI know of no family history. Genetic testing for me has shown no results so far.

It is a brain disorder I always tell people I will never lose my intelligence

My new thoughts are neither it is simply a failure of communication.

I think that what we think of as mental illness is actually a brain disease which causes a chemical problem. If, after all, symptoms of mental illness can be resolved chemically, that indicates the problem was chemical to begin with. What I said is a popular position in psychiatry now, though a Freudian would probably not agree.

The idea that mental illnesses are not real is nonsense.

The important thing is that it really does not matter. Both are very real. I am very glad we can treat many illnesses. Hopefully, some day ataxia will be among them.

When I was in college I happened upon a couple different girls, one in undergrad and one in grad school, with brain injuries. Had conversations with each girl about the similarities and differences of our conditions.

The undergrad girl was a complete a-hole. Got her brain injury doing some jerk thing that almost killed people, has spent her life since then living off her parents and taking no responsibility for herself. Not trying to get better physically or cognitively. We’re talking like little things such as not drooling and big things like driving again or working. She was smart, too, in good shape. She could have improved. Instead she spent her time feeling sorry for herself and living like a teenager.

The other girl was very nice, very smart, interesting, everyone at school liked her. She got a great job after school, married a handsome, successful guy, did very well for herself. But she used a cane and like the other girl was visibly disabled. She had a cerebellar lesion birth defect, so she moved in a very similar way to me on a bad day. We had a private conversation after she found out what I have. She wanted to know why I was moving so well. I told her what exercise type things I did and the tricks I used to keep my balance. She said she was the only person she knew with cerebellar problems growing up and she had never tried to get better. (!!!) She admitted to me that maybe she could walk normally too if she put in the effort.

We never spoke about it again and as far as I know she continued using the cane. I believe her entire identity was tied to being disabled, and what she found out from me freaked her out.

I don’t really blame people for not understanding what we go through. It’s so rare. How could they possibly understand. And some disabled people really are messed up in their minds for whatever reasons.

I am now 58 being diagnosed 10 years ago I agree with your last paragraph re
Messed up. I have no desire to associate with non ataxic people my social life is totally restricted to my immediate family 3 children,my wonderful wife,and ageing mother plus my paid careers. To describe Ataxia to anyone else is unimaginable.

Nah,its degeneration of the cerebellum, inherited or acquired. Going to Stanford this week to try and figure out. We are lab rats

“Ataxia” is actually a latin term used to describe lack of balance and coordination, a condition vs. a disease or illness. It has numerous causes. There are several names of these conditions often called simply “ataxia” or ______ataxia.
An ataxic condition may be caused by a brain disease, a brain injury (TBI), or an illness I suppose. Ataxia may present as a symptom of some diseases or illnesses.
Ataxia is usually the result of atrophy of the cerebellum. There are several causes of this, disease or illness. I’m not certain if there are any mental illnesses directly causing ataxias, it is however, my belief that some ataxias may cause mental illness (i.e. depression). The onset of depression may be the result of the individual trying to cope with ataxic symptoms. This may not always be the case, and really depends on the individual. Mental illness is most often a circumstance of some forms of ataxia.
An ataxic condition has many causes.

From taking on board everyone’s comments to my own experience over the past
5 years I can answer to my own question a resounding YES ! So you should plan accordingly!