Is my Cerebellar Ataxia causing my depression?

Hi all

I am 43 and have had Cerebellar Ataxia (SCA 2) for 30 years. I have been diagnosed with depression (which totally sucks!!!). I can handel the physical side, but not the psychological side. Is my Ataxia causing this and does anyone else with Cerebellar have depression?

Damo

I am on an anti d and still have CA and depression.

I have sca2, not diagnosed depressed. Sometimes the limitations and frustration get me down.

Yes it can cause depression and yes it sucks a lot you need to try and stay active and positive.

Being able to physically handle it is 1/2 the battle ! We do tend to become depressed but don’t let that get the better of you! I am49 with cerabellar ataxia… Just surround yourself with positive people!

Hi

I was diagnosed with idiopathic cerebellar ataxia in 2008 and I get depressed a lot. I was on anti depressants but no longer…the condition is hard to accept. I am 58."

Depression is not a symptom of ataxia, but can be a very real result of having it. Medication will help for awhile, but can be ineffective after a long time of usage. ATTITUDE, OUTLOOK, and PERSPECTIVE need to change.

http://fightataxia.org

i hv sca2, depression & anxiety. taking citalopram 20mg for them.

Yes, I take zoloft. It seems to be pretty normal effect of SCA.

Yes depression can be a symptom of cerebellar ataxia. The cerebellum is responsible for some of our emotions, with a degenerating cerebellum it can cause emotional problems. I have some emotional problems from it, sometimes sad for no reason or just burst out laughing for no reason also. Just try to remember that the disease does not own you and try your best to smile everyday.

I do have depression and sca 2. Last summer I went on lexapro. It really helped.

I also have sca & depression (as well as ocd)… Ive been taking “lithium” for years & it does wonders!

I have cerebellar ataxia and at times I do get depressed because there is so many things that I used to be able to do, Now I can't walk on the beach or wear heels, dancing is out so is fishing. But then I tell myself how lucky I am because of the things that I can still do. They now want to do a neurological psychology evaluation, to see if any other part of the brain is involved. Has anyone been thru this procedure

Try to keep a positive altitude.

I am also 43 and have sca2. I have always suffered from depression since I can remember but started taking Zoloft only a few years ago. It really does help a lot. Sometimes I feel like it makes me okay with situations that used to make me upset.....in an unnatural way. That kind of bothers me.

Yes. All I can suggest is that you stay positive all though sometimes it can be very hard.

Hi, I am also 43 and have CA SCA 2. i have depression even not so deep, I try to stop my antidepressants which I took for 10 years.A lot of people on this site, which I talked to,all of tyhem struggle with depression.So i can say depression is part of the ataxia, unless you are super human anddont take into a consideration, that every day you become less able to do everyday things.

I would say definitely. This is the second time I have tried to reply. The first reply went AWOL. I have been asked by my Counsellor to write up on having Ataxia and how it affects my mental health. I also have H.I.V. and so have two major problems to deal with. I do believe that the Ataxia is worse because it affects my work whereas H.I.V. still allows me to work and quite well too. I have recently taken a break in my working schedule in order to give me a much needed rest. Get a Doctor to give you a proper diagnosis.

Hi Hymek700. I have been diagnosed with depression. Don't know why I am depressed, my Ataxia doesn't bother me. See, I was born with it and the two of us have been in a relationship for 43 years. I am used to it, but not this depression. I tried an Anti-depressant (Citalapram 20mgs), but it left me in hospital with a heart attack and gave me side effects.

Damo

Hey Jodiie, what strength do you take and what side effects have you had??

Damo

Jodie said:

I am also 43 and have sca2. I have always suffered from depression since I can remember but started taking Zoloft only a few years ago. It really does help a lot. Sometimes I feel like it makes me okay with idesituations that used to make me upset.....in an unnatural way. That kind of bothers me.

I have H.I.V. as well. That does not bother me but the Ataxia does. I got a letter yesterday from the neurologist with my appointment. It has only taken 8 years, that is enough to make anyone depressed. The two are not good bed mates though!! Good luck. Have you read this article. http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11420804.My_battle_with_Ataxia___rare_condition_won___t_rob_me_of_my_independence/

Sam is a friend of mine who also belongs to the Ataxia UK Dorset Support Group.

Best wishes.