Mood swings

Does ataxia cause mood swings?

Wouldn't surprise me if it did, Minway, as NOTHING surprises me anymore with ataxia! I get so frustrated with al the challenges that I feel out-of-sorts (is that moody, or a variation of moody?). I do apologize to my husband when I get short with him though, as he certainly doesn't do anything to deserve it...,ha! ;o)

I am sure the frustrations must make us moody... I certainly get mood swings.

I guess I should give a bit more information. It's like my fiance is taking things out on me. I was dumped over toothpaste in the sink. We made up but a few weeks ago I noticed toothpaste kept ending up in the sink and it wasn't me so I brought it up. The end result was me getting called stupid for not putting shoes away (all were put away at that point) and then bi polar a few hours later when I tried to forgive him for it all because his daughter asked me to. I'm wondering if the disease might cause this or if this is just him. I don't want to let him go if it's something he can't help because when he is nice he is really nice and sweet and loving but when he's taking things out on me...it's starting to get ridiculous.

These may be symptoms of bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder. I am periodically ataxic and my significant other exhibits the same tendencies. Stress exacerbates ataxia and ataxia causes stress.

The family must be willing to deal with the condition and the emotional surroundings in order for physical healing to take place. This may include professional counselling.

Stress has been the worst exacerbator of my symptoms. Gluten and other toxins are the cause for me as I see it. Regardless of initial etiology, stress and relationship must be managed to allow healing. Life is holistic. Sometimes, the medical community gives credence to the legitimacy of our symptoms long after we’ve known all along!

Best wishes!

Often times both mood swings and depression develop as the ataxia progresses. My wife's neurologist has a standing order for an anti-drepressant but she has refused to fill the prescription. Maybe I should start taking them.

Dick

That is my fear. It keeps getting blamed on me. I'm told I'm bi-polar.
I see a shrink on a regular basis though and have been given a clean bill of health on that. Only have anxiety.

I have been married for 35 years and have always picked my battles well but the last couple of years I found myself getting aggressive and sometimes mean so my dr. put me on an anti depressant and I feel 1000% better.

That is exactly how he is behaving. He knows had he simply called me lazy I would have shrugged it off. I am lazy at times. But stupid I am not. And this is not the first time he has just aggressively gotten angry over something silly. I am going to his next doctors appointment and will have to see if that is something he can get on. And if he is willing to take it.

terry keeton said:

I have been married for 35 years and have always picked my battles well but the last couple of years I found myself getting aggressive and sometimes mean so my dr. put me on an anti depressant and I feel 1000% better.

Just let him now how you are feeling and how he is behaving. Sometimes we don't even realize. Tell him the anti depressant will not only help with that but will give him a better attitude for life in general.

I have big mood swings. But I had bipolar before, and psuedo bulbar affect (pba) now; so not sure if the mood issues is blamed on the ataxia or other stuff. But it’s normal to me, so it may seem normal to him too; but you have to put your foot down that him name calling and what not, it’s not ok. He’s got to know that his behavior is not helping, it no doubt is making it worse!

I would be ok if it was true. Had he said I was lazy I'd accept it. I am lazy at times. But saying I'm stupid was insulting and hurtful. I'm putting my foot down and trying to be understanding at the same time. I know he's dealing with a lot but taking things out on me isn't going to help things.

Liz Weeks said:

I have big mood swings. But I had bipolar before, and psuedo bulbar affect (pba) now; so not sure if the mood issues is blamed on the ataxia or other stuff. But it's normal to me, so it may seem normal to him too; but you have to put your foot down that him name calling and what not, it's not ok. He's got to know that his behavior is not helping, it no doubt is making it worse!

I don't know what comes first actually. I can tell you that ataxia requires more patients and being in the moment (slowing down in lots of ways) sometimes that makes life more frustrating. Sometimes I think because we can't control the ataxia it can make someone want to control the other person just because they feel that they lack control. I don't think they realize that they are doing it sometimes either. So try not to take it personnel. It sounds like he's lashing out.

My advice on how to handle things is not to engage at all when he does that. Leave the room and just announce that when he wants to talk to you in a nicer voice and not call you names, that you will talk with him and not until. Right now just tell him that you need a time out and leave him be so he can calm down so you don't get the brunt end of his frustration etc. By not engaging and walking away. Sometimes taking care of yourself will make the situation better. Be in the moment if you can remember to.

It"s challenging I understand. But soon he will start to not act like that because there is a natural consequence of you leaving the room. I think that will speak volumes instead of you engaging. Because then your only giving him the opportunity to rebuttal and justify why he is doing what he's doing.

But that said, make sure your safe no matter what. You need to value yourself (it sounds like you do) and show him that you do by not accepting bad behavior for what ever reason! :0) Hang in there! It's a challenge, think of it as a game. Your move! :0)

My experience is just like yours, Minmay. My husband probably can’t help it; it’s hard to remember how things used to be. I get defensive and often find it very hard to let go of the hurt. People say not to take it personally but I’m not very good at that. Jeannie Ball’s suggestion about not engaging and leaving the room until he’s ready to talk more reasonably will help me a lot, I think. (Not easy when I’m driving tho!)

I respectfully disagree. Everyone acts lazily at some point, that doesn’t mean that you are lazy, and from the way that you communicate, it is obvious you are not stupid either. I don’t think you should believe any of his namecalling. Thoroughly agree with Jeannie about leave the room and not engage. You deserve respect, even if you goof up periodically.

minmay said:

I would be ok if it was true. Had he said I was lazy I’d accept it. I am lazy at times. But saying I’m stupid was insulting and hurtful. I’m putting my foot down and trying to be understanding at the same time. I know he’s dealing with a lot but taking things out on me isn’t going to help things.

Liz Weeks said:

I have big mood swings. But I had bipolar before, and psuedo bulbar affect (pba) now; so not sure if the mood issues is blamed on the ataxia or other stuff. But it’s normal to me, so it may seem normal to him too; but you have to put your foot down that him name calling and what not, it’s not ok. He’s got to know that his behavior is not helping, it no doubt is making it worse!

Anybody can have mood swings but with the symptoms of SCA often being variable,
chances are that’s the cause.
Frustration plays a big part in this too, also poor concentration, it gets to be a vicious
circle. Nearest and dearest are in the front line when this happens.
It might be in everybody’s best interests if medical help with this is sought, especially
if a child has to be taken into consideration. Best wishes xB

Thank you everyone. I'm going to try and take Jeannie's advice on leaving the room. I love him tons and don't want to hold anything against him that he can't really control.

Oh I definitely plan on bringing it up at his next doctors appointment. Unfortunately, that is a month away.

Beryl Park said:

Anybody can have mood swings but with the symptoms of SCA often being variable,
chances are that's the cause.
Frustration plays a big part in this too, also poor concentration, it gets to be a vicious
circle. Nearest and dearest are in the front line when this happens.
It might be in everybody's best interests if medical help with this is sought, especially
if a child has to be taken into consideration. Best wishes xB

Minway,

For me, the worse I am feeling on a particular day, makes me respond in a more negative manner. I do attempt to announce that I am not feeling so great, and beware. It doesn't always work. I do my best. I definitely attribute it to the ataxia.

Very wise advice, Jeannie! ;o)