Anti-depressants

What is a good anti-depressant for ataxia.

I take sertraline or Zoloft. I haven't had any problems and it seems to work well. I'm on a very low dose.

What symptoms do you use it for? Energy or depression? Is depression a symptom of ataxia--is it caused by the cerebellar shrinkage--or is it a result of ataxia, one's recognition that things aren't okay?

Dee said:

I take sertraline or Zoloft. I haven't had any problems and it seems to work well. I'm on a very low dose.

I take it for depression. I'm not sure if ataxia caused the depression or if the change in what I can do caused it. I had a period where everything made me cry. Usually when I couldn't do something. My doctor thought sertraline would help. A lot of her a taxi patients take it. I take the smallest dose and it works. No more crying without a good reason .

I don't take any meds for depression but when I was put on Lyrica it was driving me to a suicidal state so I just quit them and felt a lot better right away.

I've had cerebellar ataxia for 1.5 and only in the last six months have I experienced depression. I doubt it's related to my ataxia but it could be. I'll consider Zoloft. Thanks.

Dee said:

I take it for depression. I'm not sure if ataxia caused the depression or if the change in what I can do caused it. I had a period where everything made me cry. Usually when I couldn't do something. My doctor thought sertraline would help. A lot of her a taxi patients take it. I take the smallest dose and it works. No more crying without a good reason .

I was on prozac but my neurologist doesn’t like that one so he put me on zoloft

I’ve been taking 50mg of Sertraline daily since being diagnosed in 2011, it’s the minimum dose here in the UK. An antidepressant turned my life around, mentally I was more in control. I only wish it had been prescribed earlier.

Not everyone has the same reaction to any medication, some can be tolerated but some just provoke an adverse reaction. On occasion there has to be ‘a bit of trial and error’.

It’s widely acknowledged that depression is a symptom with Ataxia.

I’m finding that out about reactions. I so far tried 4 different anti-depressants. They all seem to make my ataxia worse. But I am getting really sick and tired of the way I’ve been feeling.

didnt know they had a anti-depressent for ataxia. i am taking lexapro for general & social anxiety

There isn’t a SPECIFIC antidepressant for Ataxia. Depression is a symptom that often accompanies Ataxia. Anxiety is common too, a doctor would be able to tell you how it differs from actual depression. After consultation, a doctor would be able to advise which particular medication would hopefully give relief.

Sometimes a person feels worse (if that’s possible) as their body gets used to the medication.

A doctor will want to monitor the patient to check on their progress, sometimes a change in dosage is necessary, or an alternative medication prescribed.

refinisher said:

didnt know they had a anti-depressent for ataxia. i am taking lexapro for general & social anxiety

I don`t know what, if anything, is available for depression brought on by Ataxia.

I know cerabellar atrophy messes with emotions,I can`t watch anything at all sad as It makes me want to start crying ( sometimes for seemingly no reason, funerals are a definite no!) Luckily, I find most things amusing.

My G.P. prescribed an anti-depressant (Amytriptolene) as a painkiller for trouble with my shoulders, but I started the course on the Thursday, and found myself looking at suicide websites Monday morning! I thought "that can`t be right" reread the enclosed leaflet, and stopped taking them.