Lawn mower

Today I bought myself a new Father's Day present, a new lawnmower, having SCA I was looking for one that would be easy to use, and I found one, it is a cub cadet model CC98M. it has caster wheels in the front for easy turning and is self propelled. I still enjoy cutting my lawn and consider it a form of exercising and not a chore. The cost is $450 but I think it's well worth it, I couldn't wait to cut my lawn today and after a few minutes I mastered the drive control, I hardly broke a sweat. I was thinking of starting a landscaping business on the side.......lol

Excellent. Enjoy.

You should have it well broke in by Fathers Day. I too consider yard work as PT. Fresh air and movement, all good for me.Since I live on a hill there is no level ground except the drive way. This adds to the challenge of all tasks. Excellent balance therapy just walking the yard. Yesterday I bought a new pair of pruning shears. Work a little- rest a little- the job gets done eventually. I am thank full I can do these things. KEEP MOVING !!!!!!!!!

Way cool.. Used I presume at that price! Lawn mowing sane provide that instant gratification 'high'.. Part of our generation I am told. Believe it or not, I can do a self propelled walk unit due to the handle bars serving as some stability... Ferlilize if you really enjoy mowing!

Boys and their toys!

My husband bought a ride-on mower, probably thinking I would cut the grass while he was at work.

Unfortunately for him I can't tolerate the vibration!

Awesome! My husband hates mowing the lawn. He hates it so much, he pays a landscaper to do it. I would do it if I could. Enjoy!!

Good for you! I used to mow the lawn at my old house, but now live in a neighborhood where I pay an association fee to have a lawn service and snow removal, etc. Although self-mowing is not allowed where I live, I never thought of having a self-propelled mower, as s wayman said the handle bars would serve as stability. Anyway, I think I could do it, as long as I had something to hold onto. Your so right, it's great exercise! I admire your determination so much! ;o)

I used to mow the lawn with a petrol lawn mower before Ataxia. Then for a short while I used the handle for balance but then I could not control it and it ran away with me and I mowed things I wasn't supposed to so now I have to leave it all up my husband. I certainly did not have the strength to push it and could not even start the wretched thing. When it did eventually get going I was reluctant to stop it hence the being out of control. I put the hare sign on as I did not have the strength to push it but when I upped the switch it ran away with me .Could't win so I have given up.

It's like all those gardening magazines with perfect gardens. I want to see real lumps in the soil and someone battling with their garden and Ataxia like me.Takes me all day to get down onto the disabled stool and half the day to get back again.

Then the soil is lumpy and weeds too deep rooted to pull out .Then you spend all the time worrying about how you are going to get up again.

You go inside for a cup of coffee and what do see glistening on the table in the pool of coffee but an unopened gardening magazine .And so the circle begins again.Me ,Gardening and Ataxia don't go any longer.Keep wobbling about and that includes my hands.

Marie, I'm with you all the way here! Gardening magazines are like fashion magazines,

not for mere mortals. And, you know those things that you push in and the weed just pops

out, who has the strength to pierce the soil in most gardens, never mind twist the thing and

yank the weed out.

D'you remember watching Ground Force (garden renovation programme UK) ? My husband

loved watching Charlie Dimmock getting her hands dirty!

Marie Turner said:

I used to mow the lawn with a petrol lawn mower before Ataxia. Then for a short while I used the handle for balance but then I could not control it and it ran away with me and I mowed things I wasn't supposed to so now I have to leave it all up my husband. I certainly did not have the strength to push it and could not even start the wretched thing. When it did eventually get going I was reluctant to stop it hence the being out of control. I put the hare sign on as I did not have the strength to push it but when I upped the switch it ran away with me .Could't win so I have given up.

It's like all those gardening magazines with perfect gardens. I want to see real lumps in the soil and someone battling with their garden and Ataxia like me.Takes me all day to get down onto the disabled stool and half the day to get back again.

Then the soil is lumpy and weeds too deep rooted to pull out .Then you spend all the time worrying about how you are going to get up again.

You go inside for a cup of coffee and what do see glistening on the table in the pool of coffee but an unopened gardening magazine .And so the circle begins again.Me ,Gardening and Ataxia don't go any longer.Keep wobbling about and that includes my hands.

Oh Marie & Beryl, you make me laugh as I can relate BIG-TIME to all you both say...,LOL! See, we're not alone in this! Hugs to both of you...., ;o)

anyone have a private email for jc colyer/

Sorry S Wayman, I don't, but you could try emailing him on this site and asking for it...,just a thought..., ;o)

Ah Rose! Big hugs to you too!

rose said:

Oh Marie & Beryl, you make me laugh as I can relate BIG-TIME to all you both say...,LOL! See, we're not alone in this! Hugs to both of you...., ;o)

Just been watching Chelsea on the telly.Feel discouraged and dissatisfied.Haven't got the finance or the inclination anymore.

Got the knowledge but can't communicate it.!! Not reading the magazines anymore as they have the same affect.

Glad I am not alone Beryl,Rose and Jack.Saw Charlie Dimmock once at the Gardeners World Show in Birmingham and got a distant photo of her+Knockers in a t shirt.

Hi Marie, You may feel discouraged and dissatisfied but no, you are never alone in this! Also, you have so much to give, as you have a wonderful sense of humor, in spite of your ataxia. Although you can't speak, you can still use your pc or I-Pad (or I-Phone), not sure what you have. Anyway, you could write about your gardening, even if you don't do it anymore. Or you're music, as you use to be a music teacher and play instruments and piano (I've always wanted to learn how to play the piano). You are an interesting and humorous writer! You can communicate all your knowledge, just not verbally! Just a thought... ;o)

Re Charlie Dimmock,

Hmm! My husband is drawn to her t-shirt, personally I don't know how she manages with all that hair

and other things swinging about!

Marie Turner said:

Just been watching Chelsea on the telly.Feel discouraged and dissatisfied.Haven't got the finance or the inclination anymore.

Got the knowledge but can't communicate it.!! Not reading the magazines anymore as they have the same affect.

Glad I am not alone Beryl,Rose and Jack.Saw Charlie Dimmock once at the Gardeners World Show in Birmingham and got a distant photo of her+Knockers in a t shirt.

Hi Beryl

Made me laugh about things swinging about.Given up in the garden this am as dropped a whole watering can full of water off the rollator-all over my feet in canvas shoes-got wet. Did this amongst other unsafe things in the greenhouse. Gave up before a hospital visit.

Marie, I just baked (again) with my occlusal lens in and reading glasses on. Dodgy stuff!
Lemon polenta cake, I'll never lose weight at this rate, eating it already, mmm!
Marie Turner said:

Hi Beryl

Made me laugh about things swinging about.Given up in the garden this am as dropped a whole watering can full of water off the rollator-all over my feet in canvas shoes-got wet. Did this amongst other unsafe things in the greenhouse. Gave up before a hospital visit.

Hi Rose

Thanks for your positive thoughts.My sister and I had to develop a sense of humour and whole new vocabulary to help us cope with dad's Parkinson's. I do use my computer a lot to communicate. I have got an i phone but it takes me ages to text now as my fingers wobble over the small text.

I like the idea of writing.It is so frustrating having all that knowledge and not being able to use it.

I used to write amusing letters to my sister when I was at University.It is an acquired sense of humour,not everyone got it and thought we were being disrespectful but it was our way of coping.

The same with my Ataxia.Like you I have ideopathic CA.I was 47 when it became obvious something was wrong.

It has progressed rapidly over the last 7 years. The irony is that Dad was only 47 when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.I grew up with disability but you never think it is going to happen to you.

Hi Marie,

I also appreciate your humour, keep it up! Personally, I like that type of humour.

I can't use an i phone, the pages flip past to quickly in such a small space, it's

gone before I have time to focus!

My mother had similar problems to me, she was never tested for SCA. I didn't

realise exactly what she had to deal with, and now when it's too late, I know.

I didn't test positive for SCA6 but deep down I suspect it is genetic.

Marie Turner said:

Hi Rose

Thanks for your positive thoughts.My sister and I had to develop a sense of humour and whole new vocabulary to help us cope with dad's Parkinson's. I do use my computer a lot to communicate. I have got an i phone but it takes me ages to text now as my fingers wobble over the small text.

I like the idea of writing.It is so frustrating having all that knowledge and not being able to use it.

I used to write amusing letters to my sister when I was at University.It is an acquired sense of humour,not everyone got it and thought we were being disrespectful but it was our way of coping.

The same with my Ataxia.Like you I have ideopathic CA.I was 47 when it became obvious something was wrong.

It has progressed rapidly over the last 7 years. The irony is that Dad was only 47 when he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.I grew up with disability but you never think it is going to happen to you.