Bummed Out

Went to my dr today. Been falling a lot lately, left side weakness worse. Fell so hard a couple weeks ago had to have dental repair. Dr wants me to get rollator. I was crushed, but I know I am going to have to do something before I break something on myself! I went to the drugstore to inquire about one n the lady made me feel really weird. Lady looked at me and just seemed really rude about me even inquiring about one. I’m really bummed out.

I would definitely use something to help you get around. I would not be bummed out because ataxia is progressive and we will all have to deal with this sometime. I use a modified baby jogger around my neighborhood to either walk or jog. I'm quite sure people driving by have wondered why is a guy pushing an empty baby jogger, but I don't care, it helps me feel better and too bad for them. I also use a walking stick or cane sometimes out in public to help me get around once again I don't care. I would try to find a durable medical good store that sells rollators. I'm quite sure the people there will be more pleasant and understanding to deal with that someone in drugstore and I believe they would have a better selection. Stay positive.

Jack

Do you go through times where you are worse and then improve and then up and down again?

Jack,

This is a great invention you cam up with! Low cost and can be modified to everyones need. Year after year Jack shows up at our walk and is the guy jogging by with his stroller. I have herd people say what a nice guy taking his baby for a jog. LOL they don't have to know you have a sack of potatoes in that seat !!!

Jack said:

I would definitely use something to help you get around. I would not be bummed out because ataxia is progressive and we will all have to deal with this sometime. I use a modified baby jogger around my neighborhood to either walk or jog. I'm quite sure people driving by have wondered why is a guy pushing an empty baby jogger, but I don't care, it helps me feel better and too bad for them. I also use a walking stick or cane sometimes out in public to help me get around once again I don't care. I would try to find a durable medical good store that sells rollators. I'm quite sure the people there will be more pleasant and understanding to deal with that someone in drugstore and I believe they would have a better selection. Stay positive.

Jack

How about a photo of this invention?

Great idea!!

I never feel like I'm going up or down, I feel I can maintain my endurance. At the end of January I had emergency abdominal surgery and had to do nothing for six weeks. Now I have reached the point I was at before my surgery. I attribute it to all my activities.

PG said:

Do you go through times where you are worse and then improve and then up and down again?

Looks like the key to being active is finding things like I invented so you can be more active. Did u put bigger wheels on it r did it come that way?

it came that way 20" wheels its a Baby Jogger Professional Series

PG

Here is what I use it is light aluminum model and easily collapses in tight places and transporting in a car. Basket and tray are easily removed. weighs about 13 lbs. I bought two one for outside and one for inside..

https://www.google.com/#q=3+wheel+winnie+drive+aluminum+with+basket...

I'm in the same boat. Do what keeps you safe!

noniefitz said:

I'm in the same boat. Do what keeps you safe!

You are going to feel better with one, do not pay attention to the people around you are unique and wonderful

Following Jack’s advice, I bought a used Baby Jogger last summer, and I use it to walk around my neighborhood. It allows me to push myself harder and walk faster than with a cane. It is very stable, but you must put a weight in it (look at the picture, right behind the foot rest) like Jack has done for stability, otherwise the stroller will tip over as it is very light.

I have a Rollator too, which we bought after I came out if stroke rehab, on the advice of the therapists, but I find it okay only for going to stores, not for walking longer distances. Also inside your house it is okay. The baby jogger is more for exercising outdoors of course.

In stores, now, I only use my cane, sometimes just my husband’s hand. He is always with me since I cannot drive anymore. Di, I am in no danger:-)

You can check eBay or Craigslist. I found mine on Craigslist. On eBay, you may have to pay shipping or the seller may not want to ship…

And by the way, don’t worry about what others think. None of their business what you do! People sometimes ask about the baby jogger and they think it is a great idea. Just ignore the nasty look, although honestly, I have not yet found any one unpleasant. Do what is best for you.

Thank you again Jack! You are my hero :slight_smile:

Dear PG, I, like Jack, have an "I don't care what anyone thinks" attitude, as better safe than sorry! I was diagnosed with ataxia eleven years and resisted using a cane until I fell and severely injured my back four years ago. Although I use a cane when I leave my home, until recently, I was able to walk in my home without it. But I've taken some pretty nasty falls in my home (hairline fracturing my pelvis and cutting the back of my head, which required nine staples. So now I use a quad cane (upgrade) all the time (a quad cane gives me more stability, over a regular one). I also have a prescription from my neuro for a rollator now. LOVE your modified baby jogger, Jack! So try not to worry about what others think, PG. Do what's best for you! ;o)

If you are on medicare Your pcp dr can prescribe a rollator for you and it will be all or mostly paid for. The medical supply delivered mine and I only paid small amount. I wouldn't take for mine, it allows me to keep getting around where I probably couldn't otherwise. I was using a cane whn my MIL was in nurwing home/hospice in Sept.2012, when I saw neuroologist, the first of Oct. that year he recommended rollator. Now I really need it and I couldn't motate w/o it. Use it all the time.

this morning I competed in a 5k road race it took me 50 min.!

rose said:

Dear PG, I, like Jack, have an "I don't care what anyone thinks" attitude, as better safe than sorry! I was diagnosed with ataxia eleven years and resisted using a cane until I fell and severely injured my back four years ago. Although I use a cane when I leave my home, until recently, I was able to walk in my home without it. But I've taken some pretty nasty falls in my home (hairline fracturing my pelvis and cutting the back of my head, which required nine staples. So now I use a quad cane (upgrade) all the time (a quad cane gives me more stability, over a regular one). I also have a prescription from my neuro for a rollator now. LOVE your modified baby jogger, Jack! So try not to worry about what others think, PG. Do what's best for you! ;o)

Jack, this is a great time! Congratulations.! I am not sure I can ever run again, but I am glad I can walk. Doctors tell me that with my type of stroke, many cannot walk anymore. Plus at almost 70, is there a need to run anymore?:slight_smile: i did it for 35 years, may be it is time to switch from running to walking…
But you, young man, keep going!
Take care and thank you for inspiring us.

KUDDOS to you, Jack!! You are truly an inspiration! ;o)