Lets Talk Voice

My voice is very horse , it sounds like Marlon Brando in the Godfather . But I also have this sort of nasal backfeed going on . When I talk the air from the breath goes up and out my nose leaving me sounding weak and distorted , S and F are the worst letters .

Also I have to sort of pause every 3-4 word and catch up , I usually either run out of air or it all leaks out . I cover this up by just saying ummm in those spots , its funny I have enough air to say um but not enough to continue with the sentence. Its not a matter of not knowing what I want to say but a matter of actually saying it .

I can yell but only a word or two at a time ,

And if I am having an exciting conversation ( Italian folks will get this ) my legs become involved and kind of stiffen up . I cant see why talking effects my legs and this another thing that has stumped all the Docs .

Any one else ?

Your legs are attached to your brain by way of the spinal cord.....or you can listen to the "Dem Bones" song....:)

I don't know whether this will help, but several years before I developed ataxia, I went to singing lessons, and I learned to breath with my diaphragm. This has helped me breathe better when I'm talking. The singing isn't crash hot...:) Doesn't matter how many lessons you have if the talent isn't there...:D

My main problem is that I have to concentrate to enunciate so people understand me.

Hello Searcher,

I think you need to consult a speech therapist who will help you with breathing exercises.
This condition is called dysarthria and is caused by the damage in your brain where the speech is controlled. Stroke, Parkinson patients or people with other neurological conditions can experience the same problem. I know a few stroke patients who have been greatly helped with therapy.

Good luck to you, Marlo :slight_smile:

Margat, keep singing as long as you enjoy it. I used to have a good singing voice, or so they said, now I am often off tune and it drives me crazy. Also, my voice has a tendency to shake like an old lady’s. What am I saying? I AM an old lady… Hee! Hee!
PS my speaking voice is the same as before, just a little hoarse once in a while…

What Margrat and Cicina said. I also have problems with breath control and a speech therapist taught me some exercises to improve it. Just things like holding a sound for as long as possible. Apparently I don't use my diaphragm so the exercises are partly designed to... re-educate me on how to talk.

Not exactly the same thing but I was never good at walking (or standing) and talking at the same time. I guess that when you're using up energy talking you don't have that much leftover for moving your legs. Mine can go stiff if I'm concentrating too much on them.

Dear Searcher, My voice/breathing is definitely affected by ataxia! Plus I used to sing, but have a hard time now, as my voice isn't what it used to be. Ataxia changes everything! ;o)

I also have a very hoarse voice and it gets worse every day. I had neck cancer and initially caused my problem but when ataxia surfaced I noticed it also getting worse. Jerry

From what I understand, the act of singing, particularly singing in parts (I'm in a choir and sing alto) is very good therapy for the brain. It's not important that you sound good, but it's important that you do it...:) My problem at the moment is that a couple of months ago I caught the dreaded lurgy and I was just coughing too much to sing in any case, and just when I was starting to get better the dog got sick, and now it's too cold! The choir is having a couple of weeks break, so perhaps things might be better then. :/

Music of any sort helps it seems. If nothing else it puts you in a better mood...:D

willow said:

What Margrat and Cicina said. I also have problems with breath control and a speech therapist taught me some exercises to improve it. Just things like holding a sound for as long as possible. Apparently I don't use my diaphragm so the exercises are partly designed to... re-educate me on how to talk.

Not exactly the same thing but I was never good at walking (or standing) and talking at the same time. I guess that when you're using up energy talking you don't have that much leftover for moving your legs. Mine can go stiff if I'm concentrating too much on them.