Mobility scooter

I'm in the market for a mobility scooter. Should I purchase a 3 wheel or 4 wheel. I'm in need for a mobility scooter for long distance. My walker is ok for short distan e but not long. I'm in need for when I go on vacations on uneven surfaces such as gravel etc. Thank you.

Hi,

I have 2, 4 wheeled scooters. It maybe me, I find 3 wheeled scooters dangerous. They are not as secure as their 4 wheeled counterparts! Of course it could be me.

I have one for General use and another that we carry around in our modified people carrier. The one we carry around is the one that goes over rough terrain. It's tyres can't be punctured and as long as the battery is fully powered and you don 't expect too much, the vehicle is fine.

If you want to go over rougher terrain 4 wheel will be more stable.

It would depend on your vehicle and whether the priority is that it is light and can be taken apart easily (in which case you will be limited battery wise and what kind of terrain) or if you have a van with ramp or can get scooter trailer for back of a car then an heavy duty scooter would handle much bumpier terrain.

My scooters get heavy use as I use them to walk my dogs twice a day everyday and we go out in all weathers even managed a few inch of snow (though not after its frozen overnight and turned to ice!) I usually go for one 6-8mph, around 50ah battery (no less) and larger puncture proof tyres, higher ground clearance means any slopes can be gotten u easier without scraping the bottom of the scooter. I am limited to overall length as mine has to fit in the space in my hall as have nowhere else safe for it to be parked and charged. If you're getting a scooter trailer obviously you need to measure and work out what length of scooter will fit. If length is an issue look at the top end of the Midi range for ones around 50-53" long. Rascal 850, Sterling Diamond etc.

The specs of mine are not far off the all terrain scooter which they charge £6,000 for! (I paid £1,800 for mine)

I love my four wheeled scooter and go miles in it.I have another one that I got off e bay.That is useful for liitle shows,pavements and is portable.It depends what you want it for.Over the winter llike Kati I have used the road one for exercising my dog.It is also more stable and can go over mud and rough ground.The smaller one will be useful in the summer.

You need to remember to charge up the batteries.Look on e bay for bargains.Many relatives want to get rid of scooters.I would not bother with a three wheeler as with Ataxia we need stability.

I have to have help walking now.This is a recent thing for me but I had great fun last year on my 4 wheeler.

Also I have a husband and a garage so I am lucky..All our circumstances are different.I could imagine 4 wheelers take up a lot of space.

Would a 4 wheeler fit in a truck and how would I put it in my truck. I am concerned about storage. I have a 2 car garage, with my truck and my wife's car, not too much room left but I do need to find a way to transport it.

Hello James and all,

I would suggest getting a four wheeled scooter for stability just as has been suggested already. Three wheeled scooters - including those with 'mini stability' wheels either side of the main single front wheel can be very unstable at times in comparison with the four wheeelers (I know this from experience).

Please be sure to check any rules of mobility scooter use in your area! In the UK where I live, the maximum speed in law for a mobility scooter is 4mph on pavements (sidewalks) and 8mph on the road. Also, depending on where you live and the type of scooter you get, you may be required to license and or 'tax' the vehicle. Insurance is a must! scooter repairs can be expensive and you should get insurance that covers third parties. None of us want to crash or have other accidents but it is prudent to get covered by insurance - just in case.

Also, with regard to scooter size, you need to get a size suitable for you! An oversized scooter may be hard to handle. Think too about how you want to use the scooter. It is no good when on a shopping trip you find your scooter over large to manouvre around a shop or even get past the shop doorway!

For day to day use you may find it better to have a sturdy scooter that is not meant to be dismanteled often for transit or folded likewise unless you have a vehicle large enough and / or adapted for carrying a mobility scooter as if it was a passenger! For day trips, a smaller scooter that can be easily dismanteld or folded to fit in a car boot (trunk) will likely do you fine - such a scooter is likely to be less powerful though. Another option may be available for day trips - mobility scooter hire. I visit a large shopping complex (mall) about thirty miles from home from time to time and I have registered with 'shop mobility' at the complex so I can hire a scooter ( or a wheelchair if no scooter is available).

Another thing to consider for uneven or rough surfaces such as gravel or mud or (shallow) snow and such is that a three wheel scooter is likely to get stuck easily or be less than easy to control on such terrain. A four wheel scooter that is suitable in size for you with 'solid' wheels (no punctures), a fair body clearance from ground and higher rated batteries such as 50ah is probably best. You may be tempted to get an 'off road' scooter with high ground clearance and huge wheels - these are great for off road but almost certainly not so good for day to day use!

As for distance, be aware that the distance advertised to show how far a scooter will go on a single full charge is an estimate only and the actual distance attainable will vary greatly due to many factors such as user weight and terrain condition.

This is starting to get a bit long so I'll finish up shortly. Do try to get your mobility from a respected LOCAL dealer, National dealers can be very expensive and have often have 'closed' contracts that require all maintenence or servicing to be done by that dealer and this is usually at a high premium. Your dealer should be able to recomend a suitable scooter for your needs, tell you if you are buying new or used, recomend insurers, give at least basic scooter usage training, offer safe scooter usage instruction materials and give your scooter any maintainence or servicing as needed. Another reason I recomend local rather than national dealers is that it is often the case with local dealers that they see you as a potentially long term customer and as such it is in their own interest to treat you well! National or international scooter dealers can be less 'personal' to say the least.

I hope this is of some use at least to James and any others looking to get a mobility scooter.

Edit: One last thing! If not buying from a recognised and respectable dealer or if buying used or 'second hand' then be aware there are many possible problems with this - caveat emptor!

Not sure about this as it will likely depend on your truck size but maybe you could get it adapted to carry the scooter. Suitable restraints to keep the scooter firmly connected to the truck so it does not move (in relation to the truck) would probably be required and some sort of 'tail lift'.

The best I can find from a quick search is this:

http://www.trucknamerica.com/mobility_vehicle_lifts.htm

James E. Harnest said:

Would a 4 wheeler fit in a truck and how would I put it in my truck. I am concerned about storage. I have a 2 car garage, with my truck and my wife's car, not too much room left but I do need to find a way to transport it.

Off to the scooter store in Hudson Florida.

This is an awsome site with awsome people and awsome advice. I wish everyone the very best.

God bless everyone!

Although these are not ''scooters" , these are great "walkers", depending on one's needs. Google "trionic veloped store" for several sites. ;o)

Hi James,

You have some perfect replies here! The only thing I can think of is you need to go to a local dealer and try out the scooters. For me, I choose the three wheeler due to where I'd be using it. I needed the tight turning ability, and it fits me better. When I use a four wheeler, I tend to hit things around me and it simply feels too big. On the other hand, this little scooter seems to not be very stable when I am on sloping sidewalks or going over small bumps like door enterances to buildings.

Good luck with your choice!

Can't wait to hear what you chose!

Robin

Hi Rose, What is the difference in the trionic versus the rolling walker?
rose said:

Although these are not ''scooters" , these are great "walkers", depending on one's needs. Google "trionic veloped store" for several sites. ;o)

Hi James, The brand name for these walkers/rollators is ''Trionic". There are several models, depending on ones needs. To me they are much sturdier than a rolling walker, as well as more versatile. For instance there's a Trionic Fitness Walker Rollator which is built for the outdoor use, walking, hiking, playing golf and such. These walkers/rollators have three wheels, one in front, two in the back, as well as other feature. Google "trionic veloped store" to see and read about them. ;o)

I hope no one minds a quick question on this. Yesterday I went to the mall for the first time since my Dx. Of course even with my crutches making me feel safe, every 50 yards I am pooped tired. Do we get scooters due to fatigue more than any

Those with Lupus go on mobility scooters.They look ok but can't breathe or walk far.

Hi Peter,

For me, I needed a scooter or chair due to the exhaustion in the beginning. I remember very well the last time I visited the mall with my teens, using just my four prong crutch,with my slow gait and wavering legs, I quickly became exhausted and couldn't go on. My teens were like buzzing bees here and there, waiting for me. I gave in and went to the scooter rental section and rented my first scooter for the rest of the day. I felt very silly driving it around, but we have a wonderful shopping day with me being able to keep up with them.

We purchased a nice, better fitting scooter not long after, as I am not the best driver, so the smaller the better! I find I'm using it more and more as my legs become uncoordinated as two jelly sticks. I even trip on my own cane! Any little change in flooring, like carpet to tile, a slope in the sidewalk, and I fall. I've fallen too many times lately, and know I will be putting my cane to use only around the house soon. One day, down the road, I've been told I'll need a chair or scooter 100%. But I try to use the cane as often as possible right now. I've always been a fighter, and I'm still a bit in denial about this disease.

Peter Franks said:

I hope no one minds a quick question on this. Yesterday I went to the mall for the first time since my Dx. Of course even with my crutches making me feel safe, every 50 yards I am pooped tired. Do we get scooters due to fatigue more than any

Hi James and All-

I am a Lupus patient who happens to also have ataxia and after much research, I just purchased my first 4 wheel scooter and will take delivery in the next few days. I rented one to use while at the Disney parks over the holidays and felt the 4 wheel model was best suited for me and had less chance of tipping versus the 3 wheel model.

I purchased the Drive Phoenix model from an online site that is able to service it locally if needed. It was considerably less than had I purchased it from the local durable medical equipment store.

I will use it for longer outings, ie, the mall, museums, vacations, etc. Basically any outing that would cause more fatigue if I used my rollator only. As a Lupus patient, I will use it to combat not only fatigue, but pain as well. I get a lot of infammatory pain in my joints and leg muscles, so hopefully a scooter will help relieve some of this for me.

I wish you the best! Happy scootering!

Hi Peter, I use a cane (to help with balance and prevent falls). My legs get extremely tired after walking here and there a bit! I think it's because of how people with ataxia use their muscles. I tend to get very "stiff", as I'm trying so hard to hold myself upright, as well as not fall! It's purely exhausting...,ha! Therefore, I certainly see why it makes sense to have a scooter! ;o)