Stick to three wheeler to rollator to?

Hallo everyone

What advice would you give me on where to go from here? A juvenile 72 year old, Im experiencing the usual discomforts associated with old age plus ca i e cant get out of bed in the morning without help, evil back and other aches etc etc. Have gone from using a stick to a three wheeler (which was dfinitely not stable enough!) to a lightish rollater. Unfortunately its now too heavy for me and I have to chuck it in the boot once Ive got it over the rim. Both wrists are weak but I use sports wrist and elbow neophrene thingeys which are good. The weak wrists may be dystonia, I dont know (I have this already in my right hand and have botox injections) Yesterday I had a eureka moment and said to myself 'for goodness sake get on with life, exercise and start eating properly' and went to the gym and have aqua stuff tomorrow. Bob (husband) says he'll take me shopping as he can lift the rollator out of the car and put it back. A lovely thought but I need my independence. Is a scooter the answer? Please tell mehow you all cope

I use a rollator outside to exercise the dog and go shopping,I know what u mean about throwing it into the car.So do i as my wrists are weaker now and it gets covered in mud when i try and venture off the road for the dog and get stuck.Haven't found the answer yet but i do like going out when I get there.It;s such a performance. I lurch around furniture walking inside.

Marie

ps I have a four wheeled big wheeled, filthy rollator.I found the three wheelers not stable enough.I still manage to fall in the mud with that one .Probably not using it sensibly.The make is called Topro and i am pleased with it.

Hello Sarah-Jane

I cant advise on this but have clicked 'follow' as I am very interested to know the answers.

I am 69 - I have had my car converted to hand controls and manage ok with two fischer sticks [one much of the time]

I use wii fit to exercise for 30 minutes most mornings and supplement a reasonable healthy diet with vits and minerals.

Best wishes, Patsy

CA/69/Ipswich, UK

Hey thanks Marie

Its really stay in and be miserable or go out and fall over !!! I do have two wonderful teeshits I bought from Jonas at Squidmarks in the USA. One says 'Ive got ataxia, goggle it, then google me (in yellow with a glamourous cartoon winking at the bottom. The other says something like 'cant walk, cant speak .....something else (in the wash as we speak) have ataxia, ask me about it' and people do ask. Have you thought about a scooter?

love and light

S-J

Marie Turner said:

I use a rollator outside to exercise the dog and go shopping,I know what u mean about throwing it into the car.So do i as my wrists are weaker now and it gets covered in mud when i try and venture off the road for the dog and get stuck.Haven't found the answer yet but i do like going out when I get there.It;s such a performance. I lurch around furniture walking inside.

Marie

ps I have a four wheeled big wheeled, filthy rollator.I found the three wheelers not stable enough.I still manage to fall in the mud with that one .Probably not using it sensibly.The make is called Topro and i am pleased with it.

not really - I fall over at times when I wouldnt be using it!!

patsy

Patsy said:

Hello Sarah-Jane

I cant advise on this but have clicked 'follow' as I am very interested to know the answers.

I am 69 - I have had my car converted to hand controls and manage ok with two fischer sticks [one much of the time]

I use wii fit to exercise for 30 minutes most mornings and supplement a reasonable healthy diet with vits and minerals.

Best wishes, Patsy

CA/69/Ipswich, UK

Hey Patsy

Good to hear from you. Ive always been interested in excercising (spelling!) with a Wii but thought I wouldnt manage. Please tell me what you do and how you cope with the programme. Thanks

love and light

S-J

My family don't have adapted cars so I had to get manual chair that folds as small as possible to go in their saloon boot. Usually just going into their houses to sit on sofa my bro walks behind to steady me and I use two crutches. I tend to wear my boots and splints for this it helps keep my legs steadier and on floor properly and wear weighted forearm/handsplints so the metal is over top of hand (like someone having their hand over yours to steady it) and stops my hands flexing and letting go of the crutches for long enough to get in the house.

Around my own home and area I use powerchair/mobility scooter. I use scooter for big areas like Asda supermarket and getting over playing fields with my dog and around routes that involve having to drive on the road (not all accessible pavements in village) and use powerchair as back up for walks for specific routes or to places like hairdressers, doctors surgery where i can get right in room with the chair, or right into post office counter at back of co-op as leaving scooter outside and using their mini trolleys as a walker is getting too difficult and dangerous... if there's a queue I can't stand long.

I used sensory balance belt and wrist and ankle weights to steady myself enough to be able to stand on the Wii balance board, I can now do some without it after 8 months training. (still have ankle and wrist weights on to steady limbs but balance belt is miles too big now I've lost so much weight)

Kati

Kati

Thank you for your comments. I am going to look into exercising with a Wii, both you and Patsy are in favour. Could you tell me more about your wrist and ankle weights please? Weight etc., and where to get them?

Thanks

S-J