Musical instrument

My 6yr old daughter has CA she is asking for a trumpet from Santa. Her Neurologist(not a specilist in Ataxia) has suggested a musical instrument could help her (I don't how). My husband & I are keen for her to learn an instrument, however we do not want to further knock her confidence when she is already struggling with her differances.

Do any of you play an instrument ? Is a trumet very difficult & perhaps made more so with her hands & arms being ataxic.

Thank-you

I have CA and I play the piano, both before ataxia and after. I'm 52. It's such a blessing to me to have that outlet. However, I'm not sure how a trumpet would be as far as difficulty; the piano doesn't require holding an instrument up to my mouth and it doesn't require breath control. But the trumpet may be a good thing for her. My piano playing helps me try to concentrate on rhythmic actions and it helps keep my mind/finger coordination active. I can't help you exactly, but that's what I've found. Best wishes! Lori

I agree with both-I play both-and I think both don’t involve heavy-lifting, have limited coordination-that might be something totally different-unsure, and provide a great outlet.

I just had to reply to this post......I have had Ataxia since about 18 months old, I went to a 'special' school and my parents of course wrapped me up in cotton wool this also meant missing out on normal activities kids did. I remember learning the recorder at school I was bad but praticed every minute I had spare in secretcy from my parents not only did I learn to co oridinate and control my breath but also learn to read music.

Looking back my memories are full of resentment at not being given a childhood and even now jealous of my brother and the things he got to do.

My advice is to let her dco what she wants have no regrets in life

Sorry if my post is alittle strong

Sarah

Thank-you Lori, I hadn't thought of the weight of a trumpet. She has difficulty getting cuterly & cups to her mouth so the weight could be a problem.

Lori Rich said:

I have CA and I play the piano, both before ataxia and after. I'm 52. It's such a blessing to me to have that outlet. However, I'm not sure how a trumpet would be as far as difficulty; the piano doesn't require holding an instrument up to my mouth and it doesn't require breath control. But the trumpet may be a good thing for her. My piano playing helps me try to concentrate on rhythmic actions and it helps keep my mind/finger coordination active. I can't help you exactly, but that's what I've found. Best wishes! Lori

Thank-you Sarah, As a parent I'd love to wrap her in cotton wool but I know I can not. However I feel I have to think a we bit more about what she does. You were not too strong it is great to hear the prospectus of an adult who has spent their childhood with the condition this helps me to try to understand how my daughter feels.

thank-you again Sarah I really appreciate your input.

Sarah Lacey said:

I just had to reply to this post......I have had Ataxia since about 18 months old, I went to a 'special' school and my parents of course wrapped me up in cotton wool this also meant missing out on normal activities kids did. I remember learning the recorder at school I was bad but praticed every minute I had spare in secretcy from my parents not only did I learn to co oridinate and control my breath but also learn to read music.

Looking back my memories are full of resentment at not being given a childhood and even now jealous of my brother and the things he got to do.

My advice is to let her dco what she wants have no regrets in life

Sorry if my post is alittle strong

Sarah

I am sad in a way as I was a music teacher and made my living playing the piano and I played the viola in an orchestra for 20 years.I have had CA for five years now and have no coordination .

But I have found different things to do andr egret that i spent so much of my time as a child practising for exams and not enough time actually enjoying the music.

My advice now would be to just enjoy playing anything.

I get angry and frustrated playing the piano or keyboard and havve so many me memories of playing in the orchestra.

I don't even listen to music now which is a huge shame.As a parent my daughter was a good little violinist when she was young.I wanted them both to follow in my footsteps but my son moved from the trombone to the bass guitar in a group and my daughter doesn't want to know.They can always co me back to music if they want.Their father did not take any exams and still enjoys playing now.

Marie

1 Like

I have familial SCA 2. I started learning piano at 46. I now find it more mentally stimulating.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: A Friend diagnosed with ataxia has since learned to play a couple of musical instruments, one of which is a trumpet. She feels it helps regulate breathing, and as you say, is also stimulating.

2 Likes